1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

More pics??

Rmccamey likes this.
  2. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Practically Family

That's interesting. Owner is claiming 100 years old, would that be correct? I'm trying to get more pics and info. Based on our conversation, the hat seems to be in decent shape for it's age but probably needs some work to be worn regularly. Any recommendations on an offer price for one in, say, good condition?

Frunobulax likes this.
  3. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

RM, that would not be out of line as far as age. I have one, though not listed as Clear Nutria, it would probably have been made between 1890-1910. W/O seeing the hat as a whole, it's going to difficult to determine a price point.

Rmccamey likes this.
  4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

What's PDO?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

5. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Like me, Jim, Pretty Damned Old.

DOGMAN, Frunobulax, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  6. Rmccamey

Would you venture a price range based on poor to excellent?

7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

PM sent

Rmccamey and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  8. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

9. Rmccamey

Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  10. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Thanks for the information
    I am thinking about getting the Fedora 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch brim in the lighter bleached color as I think I would like the lighter color better .
    Can you tell me how high the crown is ?

I am even thinking about ordering one of the open crown ventilated hats and getting the brim cut down.

I wonder if Sunbody gives any discount for Fedora Lounge Members ?

Thanks for your input

11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The hat you're considering is similar to mine, but still a different model so I can't say how tall the crown would be. On mine the crown as it's currently creased is 4-1/8" in the front and tapers down to 3-1/2" in the back.

[​IMG]

I only slightly modified the crease on mine and didn't take it to open crown, but after taking some measurements I'd say the open crown height would probably be 5-1/4" to 5-1/2".

I didn't order mine from Sunbody, but I've read they are willing to accommodate reasonable modification requests (trimming a wide brim to a narrower width, for example) if you contact them before you buy one of their hats.

Speaking of brim widths, just because they say one of their hats has a specific brim width it doesn't necessarily mean it will. The brim on my hat was advertised as having a 2-1/2" brim, but it seemed wider so I measured it and I got 2-9/16" on the left side, 2-5/8" on the right side, and 2-3/4" front and rear. Not a huge difference, but not 2-1/2" all the way around either.

I've never heard of them doing this, but it can't hurt to ask; the worst that can happen is they'll say, "No."

12. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Thanks a lot for your information
    If I am understanding correctly, it takes about 1 1/4 inch off of an open crown to take it to a little over a 4 inch C crown ?

13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The best way I can answer your question is, that seems to be the case with my hats. The one thing I know is a hat with a taller open crown gives you more material to work with so you can crease it as high or low as you want (within reason, of course). For example, you can easily crease a hat with a 5-1/2" open crown down to a 4" C-Crown, but that same crease will be very shallow if the open crown is only 4-1/2".

One of the reasons I like my Akubra Fed IVs and Campdrafts is that they have taller straight-sided crowns with little to no taper so I can crease them to get the look I want and still have them fit on my head comfortably. When I creased them I didn't start out thinking "I'll crease this one to X inches", I just creased them to a crown height that I thought looked right taking the brim width(s) into consideration. As a result the crowns on my Feds are around 4-1/4" tall, and the Campdrafts closer to 4-1/2" because of their slightly wider brims. So, for me, a hat with an open crown height around 5-1/2" seems to be the "sweet spot"; any lower and it might not fit on my head.

Dm101, DRB and scottyrocks like this.
  14. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Thanks
    The reason I asked is that I am wanting a Brim width Between 2 1/2 and 3 inches and a crown Height of between
    4 1/4 and 5 inches and just trying to get an approximation of how high an open crown I need too start with .
    Based on your information I will consider a 5 1/2 open crown as the minimum starting point.
    Thanks again

Redfokker, belfastboy and Zombie_61 like this.
  15. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Sunbody Hat owners
    Thinking about getting one
    For those that have one or have had one have you had any issues ?
    Stitches coming loose ,cracking etc .

Thanks

Redfokker likes this.
  16. Rmccamey

SB's have always besn tight on me but I'm sure they are just right for others. I think part of it is I never could find a long oval. I prefer the Stetson or Resistol straws.

Bill Hughes and Redfokker like this.
  17. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack A-List Customer

I say go for it.

I got mine last summer and it got a few months worth of sweat, dirt and rain. It has held up very nicely thus far. The only things I've noticed are that occasionally little "hairs" will fray, and they are easy to trim off with no ill effects. There are some sweat stains that have made an appearance as well, but they can be controlled by soaking the hat. I work outside. The summer months here can be humid, and I sweat a lot, so seeing signs of sweat stains doesn't bother me too much. The manufacturer recommends periodically soaking the hat in water to help prevent the palm from drying out and becoming brittle. Doing this will also help prevent further fraying that regular palm hats are prone to. Soaking the hat also gives you the opportunity to reshape the hat as you please, and it is also refreshing to put a cool and wet hat on your head when it is hot out.

18. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Thanks for the Information guys

Zombie_61 and Just A Hat Rack like this.
  19. Bcraig

Bcraig Familiar Face

Does anyone know if anyone makes an elastic bound edge for hats that can be used to easily change the the color of the bound edge ?
    Sure would be nice to be able change the color of the bound edge and the hat band as well on a whim.

20. Snortman45

Snortman45 Familiar Face

In addition to straw, what other materials do people choose for spring and summer fedoras that aren't too hot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk