Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to report a dumb comment, possibly the dumbest I've heard. Is there a thread for that?

;)

:)eusa_clap)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I accidentally cut my hand earlier this morning, and somehow didn't notice. I put on my hat like usual and went outside to work. I took the hat off and noticed several large blotches on the pinch, which I believe to be bloodstains from the bleeding wound on my finger.

The finger's alright now, but I would like to know what is the best way to clean bloodstains out of the felt. I don't have the resources for such things as a "napth bath" as I've seen around the forum. Will simple soap, water and elbow grease do the trick?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
All cleaning suggestions for blood emphasize cool to keep from setting the stain. Water and ammonia are the safe start with blotting. This may well spread the stain if it doesn't all come out. Others may know if Naptha will have any effect. Hydrogen Peroxide seems to be a favorite for cleaning the last traces.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alright, thanks gents for the information. Luckily, it is a dark green hat, so the stain is pretty much unnoticeable. I would have thought of it as just a simple discoloration, a running of the dye, if not for two things:

1.) It's an Akubra
2.) I had a bloody finger, which I used to "pinch" the pinch when taking the hat on and off.

Blood on the Crown...

I have used cigarette lighter fluid to remove felt tip markings from an old felt hat. You can also try diluted Hydrogen Peroxide as well. I used cotton squares to blot the felt tip marker spots. HTH

Vic

One of the Regulars
I don't know a thing about Military Caps (the vintage I collect is all basically 50s Teddy Boy, 50s Rockabilly, and 30s-50s motorcycle gear).

Anyway, I was wondering about this hat. Is it a WW2 Crusher Cap? If so, assuming it's an original model, and in excellent vintage condition, what would the price range be?
9186.jpg

Thanks!!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I believe you're right, Vic. Post the image in the WWII Forum; that's where all the crusher experts hang out.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I just picked up a Stevens Pacesetter Royalist. The stamp says Gibbs Clothing Co.

It's a centerdent with a bout a 2 1.4 inch bound brim. The feather and the bow are also on the back???

Have to wait download pics...

Any idea as to the year?

Is Stevens a known brand?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
I just picked up a Stevens Pacesetter Royalist. The stamp says Gibbs Clothing Co.

It's a centerdent with a bout a 2 1.4 inch bound brim. The feather and the bow are also on the back???

Have to wait download pics...

Any idea as to the year?

Is Stevens a known brand?

The back-bows were semi-popular in the late 50's(and early 30's-- and before, occasionally) though a few odd ones continued to be produced between.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
getting new grosgrain hat bands

I have fedoras in caribou,midnight,and tawny that came with black grosgrain bands.But I prefer hats that have bands in matching colors.
I have bought some of those satin colored bands that can be hooked on.But they tend to come loose.I think it might look better if the black grosgrain bands were removed and new bands in matching color were sewn on.Is there any businesses that I could ship my hats to and have this type of service done?If so who does this?About how much does it cost to get new grosgrain ribbons sewn on?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have not been able to find a good answer to this, so I will ask myself.

What exactly is Akubra's Superfine/featherweight felt, and how does it compare to the other felts? I just got a squatter (from Strand Hatters by way of my sister) and I was surprised to see that it was not the Imperial quality. Please enlighten me.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
So I am looking at a hat that is described as being Sage, but the color inthe photo does not look Sage, it looks more a heather gray... does anyone have experience with the color Sage? What colors dooes it match with?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Yeps said:

What exactly is Akubra's Superfine/featherweight felt, and how does it compare to the other felts? I just got a squatter (from Strand Hatters by way of my sister) and I was surprised to see that it was not the Imperial quality. Please enlighten me.
Is yours the Superfine? I've seen Superfine listed on a couple of hat sites (Yates Menswear comes to mind), but I could never get a satisfactory answer out of them to that same question. In other words, I know that Heritage grade is Akubra's top of the line felt, and Imperial quality is below that. I say that I "know," but I'm really just judging from the prices. I don't know for certain where Superfine fits, but I'm guessing that it's below Imperial. (Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not knockin' that new lid of yours. It's a looker.)

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Yeps said:

According to what I've seen, the Imperial and Superfine are two different finishes of their Standard Quality hat. Since the Superfine is what they use in the military hats I'm thinking it is probably the more robust finish, less likely to show the effects of wear.

So no quality difference between Imperial and Superfine felt. Does yours have a liner? The military hats don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24