Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levallois

Practically Family
Ok,here's the size tag for the hat in posts 2461 and 2464 plus the Stetson tags under the sweat - Thanks!

P1000084.jpg

P1000082.jpg

P1000081.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
There are a lot of Lexol fans here at the Lounge. If you use it back up the sweat with foil or cardboard to prevent staining the felt while treating. There's a thread around somewhere that discusses some successful techniques. By all means TREAT FIRST before attempting any stretch.
Tom D.

Looking to buy a hat from the bay and the description of the sweatband says to be very "stiff". Can that be softened, or will it end up cracking on me if I get it?

Perhaps, but remember that sweatbands are the primary point of contact in the wear of a hat... often they will have condition issues in a hat that is in fine condition otherwise. They are easily replaced by a good hat shop such as Optimo. If you find a hat that you love and intend to wear, keep that in mind. You can retain the original sweatband for its markings and history and enjoy wearing the hat with a new one.

cheers,
Alan

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps, but remember that sweatbands are the primary point of contact in the wear of a hat... often they will have condition issues in a hat that is in fine condition otherwise. They are easily replaced by a good hat shop such as Optimo. If you find a hat that you love and intend to wear, keep that in mind. You can retain the original sweatband for its markings and history and enjoy wearing the hat with a new one.

cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan.

derekj27

New in Town
Everything Australian

I was curious if anyone can answer this question.

I recently ordered from Everything Australian, the Akubra Down Under in the color black. Before that, I had emailed quite a few other retailers online and they all said that the Akubra Down Under in the color black had been discontinued. I even went on the Akubra.au website and they show no black for the Down Under. I even went as far to email Akubra and they said that it was discontinued and couldn't even be specially ordered. During this time, I had emailed Everything Australian and told them if they are still able to get me the Hat in black, and had told them that other retailers were telling me that it had been discontinued. Couple days later they gave me an email back saying that they can confirm that they are able to get me the Akubra Down Under in black, and that it would take 3 months.

Anyways, I am very confused, I obviously believe them that they are able to get it for me, but how? Are some online retailers able to specially order some things from Akubra, and others are not??

If anyone has an answer, please reply! It would be really appreciated

-The D man

Chinaski

One Too Many
derekj27,

This is a little bit of guesswork on my part, but I would say Akubra requires a certain number of hats in a particular color needs to be ordered by their retailers in order to get that color. Everything Australian may have other customers who have expressed an interest so they are willing to place an order for multiple hats in that color. Most retailers are loathe to tie up money in something that doesn't sell, so my guess is EA thinks they can sell them, whereas the other retailers are not willing to take the risk or don't have interest from their customers.

In any event I believe they are a reputable retailer, so if it's a hat you want and they can get it for you, go for it. Enjoy the 3 month wait - I've done it before on one occasion. Can you say, anticipation?

derekj27

New in Town
Everything Australian

derekj27,

This is a little bit of guesswork on my part, but I would say Akubra requires a certain number of hats in a particular color needs to be ordered by their retailers in order to get that color. Everything Australian may have other customers who have expressed an interest so they are willing to place an order for multiple hats in that color. Most retailers are loathe to tie up money in something that doesn't sell, so my guess is EA thinks they can sell them, whereas the other retailers are not willing to take the risk or don't have interest from their customers.

In any event I believe they are a reputable retailer, so if it's a hat you want and they can get it for you, go for it. Enjoy the 3 month wait - I've done it before on one occasion. Can you say, anticipation?

Well, even though it sounds like guess work, it makes a lot of sense, thanks for your reply, wouldn't mind anyone else s take on it!

Thanks again!

The D Man

Chinaski

One Too Many
I don't know the actual facts of the matter, but guys here have often tried to get a number of buyers of a particular model and color to commit to buying so that Akubra would make the hats. If someone knows the actual answer and it differs I'd be interested as well. Again, if you want the hat, I'd say go for it.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Well, even though it sounds like guess work, it makes a lot of sense, thanks for your reply, wouldn't mind anyone else s take on it!

Thanks again!

The D Man

I think that you can take the word of Sam Menche and the people at EA "to the bank," having purchased many lids from them. The wait will be sweet agony. :p

I assume they received enough queries to justify ordering up a run from Akubra.

The EA website now shows the Down Under as available in black, with 3 month wait. You were just ahead of the curve. :D

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What happened to that thread on Watson Hats? It was here yesterday, I'm back home to check the Lounge again, and it's gone! Was it deleted?

This is just a guess, but there are rules for merchants who post here and Watson may not have been complying with them.

Petal

New in Town
How do you tell how old a hat is ?

Hello
Newbie here.
My Question is ,How do figure out how old a hat is ?Or if it is considered rare?
What I have is a felt.
Borsalino Alessandria .
Size tab say's 71/4.But I have measured it with a dress makers tape and it measures 23 inches.
The brim is 2 inches with a rolled edge; the ribbon (black) is 2 inches with a bow.
When I measure the height-center back to top, it is 4 1/2 inches.
It has a thin elastic cord with a button, and on the inside at the back seam is a small bow.
When I look at the hat in day light it looks black but others say it's charcoal.
In side .on the band it say's Borsalino, and in the gold ribbon tail of the printed style, in tiny letters
Fabbrica-cappeli-Alessandria.Under that, Grand Prix-Paris 1900
"Reg,US.Pat.Off.,,
There is a printed crest with Made by in Italy
Original House Founded in 1857
Inside on the center lining it say's
Qualita Superiore, then (on an angle) Barsalino, with a big crest behind it.
Further down under the crest Alessandria
Marca Depostata, Made in Italy
"REG.US.PAT.OFF"
I do hope this isn't too much info.
I am just trying to figure out what I have.
Thank You

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The info. is helpful, but you're likely to get more help if you can post a couple of photos of the liner and sweatband. To do that, you'll have to host them on photobucket or flikr and copy the

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Lefty, I'm hoping you can help me.
I have searched and come up red eyed. Is there a thread listing the Dobb's styles and for how many years they produced certain stly hats?
In particular I am looking for a bit of info on a Dobbs, Kenley.
Can you help me out, or suggest where or who might know?
Thanks.
Eric

DRB

One Too Many
Does anyone know what the powders are that hat makers use? And where to find them? I have searched for 20 minutes, to no avail.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, I'm hoping you can help me.
I have searched and come up red eyed. Is there a thread listing the Dobb's styles and for how many years they produced certain stly hats?
In particular I am looking for a bit of info on a Dobbs, Kenley.
Can you help me out, or suggest where or who might know?
Thanks.
Eric

We don't have such a thread, as we have nowhere near that kind of information on most models of hats by any maker. The thread with the most Dobbs info in one place is The Dobbs Diner, which has a lot of hats, ads, and info.

I also ran a quick Google search for the model name you gave and came up with one of those services that allows you to pay to see the past results of auctions (who does that?), which showed an auction result for a 1938 ad for your hat. It's not a range, but it's a good starting point.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
This thread should be named, "Ask Lefty, get an answer." :p

But really, who else you gonna ask.........[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn