Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Where do the aussie's amongst us go for vintage fur felt hats over the internet? I can't find anything on ebay to save my life, other than a few outback style akubra's.

Cheers,
Danny.
You can look on the classifieds on this site or also many US ebay sellers will ship to Australia.

OT1899

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply. I am totally clueless about these. Do u have links to catalogs or know of any shops that will either take consignment or purchase them outright for resale? Or possibly anyone that would want them individually? I will offer them at extremely attractive prices.

Thanks again

Try Peters Brothers Hats in downtown Fort Worth. Also, you could post them in the classifieds on this site. Good Luck!

Last edited:

justanuthercap

New in Town
Most good western stores will have someone who can cut a brim down. I recently cut a couple of western hats down with sizzors and finished with emery cloth, but after fussing with those hats, I decided to take a third one (different color) to my local Cavenders Western Store, and have them cut the brim down on it, as it was a really nice hat, and I wanted a professional cut on the brim. He only charged me 5 dollars for cleaning the hat and cutting down and shaping the brim. It only took him about a minute to cut the brim down, and it was flawless after he sanded it, where I ended up spending an hour or two in the process of cutting one down at home, and sanding it, and it still wasn't quite as good a job as he did.

Thanks Lastmohecken, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Benny

New in Town
Hi. I'm new to this forum. But anyways, I wan't to ask something.
I am going for the summer to Italy and I heard about this store called la Rinascente. I wan't to know about the both ones, that are located in Rome. What I wan't to know about both of them, is that do they sell wide-brimmed Borsalino fedoras in them. And how much do they cost. And if they sell some other brands, that are even cheaper?
I'll appreaceate, if somebody will bother to answer me.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Thanks billyspew.

I'm in Ashford but having had a look at your signature I might just do exactly that, on a day off. Get measured in Bates or Lock & Co, resist the urge (probably the hardest part :lol:) and get a better feel for the different qualities on offer.

Having said that, the Akubra also look good (Fed 4, Fed 4 deluxe? which of the two would the panel recommend?) and I will have no problem considering that for all their denying they're British too, somewhere...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi. I'm new to this forum. But anyways, I wan't to ask something.
I am going for the summer to Italy and I heard about this store called la Rinascente. I wan't to know about the both ones, that are located in Rome. What I wan't to know about both of them, is that do they sell wide-brimmed Borsalino fedoras in them. And how much do they cost. And if they sell some other brands, that are even cheaper?
I'll appreaceate, if somebody will bother to answer me.

I don't know, but my guess is that Borsalino hats range from $200-400. There are lots of hat stores in Italy, you' won't have a hard time finding them. For something cheaper, you could look up RMR hats on the Internet. They have a good selection, much cheaper.

billyspew

One Too Many
Thanks billyspew.

I'm in Ashford but having had a look at your signature I might just do exactly that, on a day off. Get measured in Bates or Lock & Co, resist the urge (probably the hardest part :lol:) and get a better feel for the different qualities on offer.

Having said that, the Akubra also look good (Fed 4, Fed 4 deluxe? which of the two would the panel recommend?) and I will have no problem considering that for all their denying they're British too, somewhere...

Nice area. I'm from west Kent myself but went to Kent University.

Not sure the extra money for the deluxe would be worth it straight off the bat, but it is supposed to feel nicer in the hand.
I actually went back and purchased one at Bates in the end, so if you can resist...
If you go to Laird then I'd suggest the one by Bank - it has a greater selection of fedoras.
If you go to Hornets then be sure to check out both locations in Kensington as they have a different selection in each.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Sweatbands:
Sorry to be redundant, as I know this question has been asked before, but I'm just not having success with the lounge search, or google, for that matter.

Where can you find quality ready-to-be-sewn-in sweatbands?

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Christys Panama hat question?

Hi fellow longers, i'm looking at Christys panama's on the internet and wanted to ask if any body knows whether Christys range 'Panama Superfine Brisa' and 'Panama Cuenca Traditional' have any distinguishing differences. Does the inner band state the model or is the difference purely in the weave? Many thanks if you can help.

TC

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi fellow longers, i'm looking at Christys panama's on the internet and wanted to ask if any body knows whether Christys range 'Panama Superfine Brisa' and 'Panama Cuenca Traditional' have any distinguishing differences. Does the inner band state the model or is the difference purely in the weave? Many thanks if you can help.

TC

I don't really know and haven't seen the hats, but "Cuenca" in the title is on the other side of the tracks from the "Montecristi" side, and always has denoted a coarser straw hat as opposed to a nice Panama hat, to me, at least.

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
If you look on a site such as Panama Bob's, you can find picture examples of hats made in a Brisa weave. I understand that Brisa is a Cuenca weave which is generally looser and quicker to make than Cuenca Llano weave which is the Cuenca equivalent to the Montecristi but does not seem to go as fine as the Montecristis do.

Folks here would tend to use a Brisa weave as a "yard work" or casual hat (I have a Fino Brisa for that) and the Cuenca Llano weaves to save a bit of cash over a Montecristi. You will see from Bob's site that some of the top Llano weaves are very nice in fact.

EDIT : I would speculate that a 'Panama Superfine Brisa' would be something like Bob's Fino Brisa and the 'Panama Cuenca Traditional' will be some grade of Llano weave.

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
Belloq's hat from raiders of the lost ark?

Can anyone suggest where I can get one like Belloqs Cairo panama hat- without going down the costly custom route? :)

Thanks

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Not really. Etsy has a few now and then. Some guys try to bargain hunt on the Goodwill auctions, but ebay and the Classifieds section of the Lounge are about it.

email68

One of the Regulars
Purchased two more hats in the last few weeks. A PB montecristi and a Penman custom.

What is a good answer after you order another hat when your wife says "how many hats do you need?!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran