Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mattface

Practically Family
A couple quick questions about cleaning my Panama: My panama from Bob's has become my favorite summer hat, but I sweat a lot the fabric sweatband has stained the hat. Maybe there's no way to get that off, but if anyone has any tips to make it less pronounced I would appreciate it. Also, the sweatband has taken on a odor. I'm currently drying it flipped up in the sun, but is there any safe way to clean it and/or neutralize the odor?

Sweaty sweat by mattface, on Flickr

Well since I never did get an answer, and I couldn't really keep wearing it like it was, I washed it in a sink full of lukewarm water and dish soap and am currently drying it on my head. the straw didn't really seem to hold too much water, the hat mostly held it's shape. it should dry quickly, and no more stink. The staining did not come out at all, but I'm counting it a success. I don't think I will ever buy another panama with a black fabric sweat though.

HatsEnough

Banned
Looks like Nathaniel's has both kind of hats; cowboy and western!

From his website it looks like he has one fedora which is why no one here was responding to your question. We are far less about westerns here. There are a ton of western hat makers out there that few of us know anything about.

He has 100% rabbit starting at $450
50/50 Rabbit/Beaver starting at $625
and 100% Beaver starting at $825

And those prices seem to include only the base hat. Any brim treatment (bound edge, pencil curl, etc.) or ribbon treatment is extra.

I never heard of him, but am not a western hat guy.

http://www.nathanielsofcolorado.com/

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
One Western hat maker we all know well and can recommend without hesitation is Mike Moore of Buckaroo Hatters of Covington TN. You can find his site at http://www.buckaroohatters.com . The hat in my avatar is a Western made by him. Discuss with him what you want and he will make it for you. His prices are reasonable and his work is impeccable.

Last edited:

mattface

Practically Family
Well since I never did get an answer, and I couldn't really keep wearing it like it was, I washed it in a sink full of lukewarm water and dish soap and am currently drying it on my head. the straw didn't really seem to hold too much water, the hat mostly held it's shape. it should dry quickly, and no more stink. The staining did not come out at all, but I'm counting it a success. I don't think I will ever buy another panama with a black fabric sweat though.

As an update for anyone else needing to clean a panama: post drying, it came out pretty good the grey stains from the hatband are less pronounced, the smell is gone, and the hat kept it's shape. the ribbon is no worse than it was after washing it out and sticking it back on, but it's really never been very good. It sort of puckers and refuses to lay flat. At some point I'll have to figure out how to put a better ribbon on this hat.

george

New in Town
Here's a question. Anyone ever buy from Goorin Bros? I am liking the look of their website and I've the mind to go check out their Boston store when I go back to school in the fall--my wardrobe's been kind of revamped this summer with two suits, a number of dress shirts and some new pants, a few new ties--and I'm going to need a really solid hat (or two, ha) to top it all off. I'd be in the market for a fedora, and this would be my first ever. Share any experiences you've had with these guys. Most of their stores to date are in CA, their Boston store is one of their newest I guess.

http://www.goorin.com/

I like that they've got a history, at least. (Four generations of hatmakers?!)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a question. Anyone ever buy from Goorin Bros? I am liking the look of their website and I've the mind to go check out their Boston store when I go back to school in the fall--my wardrobe's been kind of revamped this summer with two suits, a number of dress shirts and some new pants, a few new ties--and I'm going to need a really solid hat (or two, ha) to top it all off. I'd be in the market for a fedora, and this would be my first ever. Share any experiences you've had with these guys. Most of their stores to date are in CA, their Boston store is one of their newest I guess.

http://www.goorin.com/

I like that they've got a history, at least. (Four generations of hatmakers?!)

Looks good. If I lived in the Boston area, I would also go to Salmagundi.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Goorin makes "designer" hats at designer prices. The hats have a modern style, and are made of cheap materials - wool felt, cut-and-sewn fabric, and fake straw models seem to make-up nearly their entire catalog. You can find hats made of those cheaper materials for $50 and under almost anywhere.

Add $50 and you can get a hat made of fur felt or a straw made of real straw.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
As an update for anyone else needing to clean a panama: post drying, it came out pretty good the grey stains from the hatband are less pronounced, the smell is gone, and the hat kept it's shape. the ribbon is no worse than it was after washing it out and sticking it back on, but it's really never been very good. It sort of puckers and refuses to lay flat. At some point I'll have to figure out how to put a better ribbon on this hat.

mattface, interesting tale there. i appreciate you following through and relaying the results of your efforts. i've been tempted to get a cloth sweatband before for comfort, but you've steered me away.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've never been to see Solomon Grundy.

As far as shops, if it's not on the list, I've probably never heard of it.
Hat-Stores-a-list

It's been a long time, but someone asked about Boston in this thread.

I remember that Alan has a hat from a place called Hand the Hatter. IIRC, it's in a now seedy area - if it's still open at all. video

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
Fine Hat Primer

I just got through reading the 'Hats -a list' thread and tried to find fmw's 'Fine Hat Primer' - but to no avail. I wonder if someone could 'link' me ?

MP

easportsracer13

Familiar Face
Which of these fits me better...

So im going to start buying some hats for various occasions and i need some opinions from people who actually wear hats. I have two styles and im trying to figure out which on looks better for me. I have a straw Bailey center dent i really like and think it fits me well, but i have an akubra that i gave a traditional crease to. Any suggestions? Im partial to the Center Dent style and im considering getting some Stetson Saxons in a few colors instead of teardrop styles.

6cad3176.jpg

3217e145.jpg

a6d7125f.jpg

Tilted...i think it fit my face better like this.

Alex

Practically Family
Hey man that straw does fit well, as does the Akubra. I'd say either one works well, though the Akubra would look even better if it had a taller crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24