Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Is there a difference between a rollup hat and one labeled as "crushable"? I'm looking at a vintage Resistol hat with "Krushable" printed on the sweatband, and I'm curious as to how crushable/rollable that would be.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Is there a difference between a rollup hat and one labeled as "crushable"? I'm looking at a vintage Resistol hat with "Krushable" printed on the sweatband, and I'm curious as to how crushable/rollable that would be.

Nice hat! I wouldn't try to roll it, though. I think the marketing angle for that adjective refers to the felt, top down. On a vintage hat like that, too, the sweatband might not be as limber as it once was.

Justin B. has one very much like it; maybe he'll weigh in.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am looking for someone to put a sweatband into a Vintage Borsalino for me . This includes sizing the hat 2 sizes larger as well.
I would like a quick turn around time as the hat is part of a trunk show on the 21st of Oct.
If Anyone knows someone who can do a good job and is reasonably priced please forward info.
thanks

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for someone to put a sweatband into a Vintage Borsalino for me . This includes sizing the hat 2 sizes larger as well.
I would like a quick turn around time as the hat is part of a trunk show on the 21st of Oct.
If Anyone knows someone who can do a good job and is reasonably priced please forward info.
thanks

16 days for a substantial amount of work might be hard to find as well as I don't think many hats can be stretched 2 sizes without major alteration to the shape of the crown and brim flange. Good luck :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
thanks

Try Optimo in Chicago. Perhaps if you pay a little extra they will put a rush on it. It's worth asking asking them directly if what you want can be done.

bond

I called optimo and they said that they are unable to sew a unreeded (OriginalBorsalino) sweatband back in. Has to be done by hand, my thought was that there are several people here that work on hats maybe there would be interest?

buler

I'll Lock Up
thanks

How would the original sweat fit if you size the body up 2 sizes?

B

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I called optimo and they said that they are unable to sew a unreeded (OriginalBorsalino) sweatband back in.

Buler is correct. If you are upsizing as described, the sweatband will need to be replaced entirely.

bond

Found a place called Worth and Worth in NYC to do it for 65.00 will have the hat back in 10 days or less.
Thanks A, for the tip!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Found a place called Worth and Worth in NYC to do it for 65.00 will have the hat back in 10 days or less.

So W&W will hand sew unreeded sweatbands? That's good to know. I would like to see their sweatband work when you get it back (if you don't mind).

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
Similar question. Due to an unfortunate accident at work, I ended up stepping on my Cattleman and warping the sweatband. The stitching is just fine but the outermost edge has buckled as you can see.

Can I fix this myself or do I send it off to Optimo for a new one? Thanks in advance.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Nice hat! I wouldn't try to roll it, though. I think the marketing angle for that adjective refers to the felt, top down. On a vintage hat like that, too, the sweatband might not be as limber as it once was.

Justin B. has one very much like it; maybe he'll weigh in.
Oh, I wasn't really going to try that. It would make me wince too much.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A vintage hat I'm looking at has a paler spot on the crown. The seller tells me she tried to brush it out, but the spot stayed. It would be a beater hat if anything; and the spot is way on top, so it's hardly visible. But can any shops redye a spot like that, if it can't be professionally cleaned away?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Is there a thread for Whimsical Vandalism?

DSCF1334.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Similar question. Due to an unfortunate accident at work, I ended up stepping on my Cattleman and warping the sweatband. The stitching is just fine but the outermost edge has buckled as you can see.

Can I fix this myself or do I send it off to Optimo for a new one? Thanks in advance.

IIRC, Akubra has wires in the sweat, if you clip it an remove it, that should do the trick.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
What is the name of the kind of hat that looks like a bowler/derby, but is very hard and stiff and was designed for equestrian fox hunting in England as a sort of hat cum tree-branch helmet?

The traditional velvet/velveteen fabric helmet is called a Hunt Cap. Usually they are black though Dark Blue is also used. Used in the Fox Hunt field as well as for Show Jumping in "English" riding events. many folks are going to a more obviously helmet style with a three point chin strap harness now days as it afords better protection for the noggin when taking a "header" .

file_12_172.jpg

Aerol

A-List Customer
Thank's, I'm aware of these, but what I was searching for was the name for a hat that literally looks like a derby, brim all around, but is hard. There's a story behind it to the effect that Lord Someone-or-Other commissioned it back in the days when riders did wear derbies while riding, but he wanted more protection, while maintaining the normal sartorial style.

Might the answer be here: http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Riding_Hats__amp__Caps-c64.aspx ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran