Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

indylion

New in Town
need to replace a Borsalino black grosgrain ribbon hat band?

I trying to find a Borsalino black grosgrain ribbon hat band to replace a hat band that was destroyed during cleaning. I need one with "Borsalino" on the band.

Thanks for any info,

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I need one with "Borsalino" on the band.
Try one of the big the Borsalino dealers, though they may be hard to come by even for them. The Italians are fussy about their branding. I once needed branded replacement buttons for a Brioni coat and they wouldn't give me them unless I brought it into one of their stores, to prove that I actually owned the coat.

Joeffrey Herra

New in Town
Hey everyone need some help... I bought a late 1970's straw stetson its pretty nice for summer but the sweatband is a papery pleather like material and feels plastic-ie. I think , i could manage to stitch on a new leather sweatband onto the hat but the source i've found on ebay only has the sweatband as an uncut blank. I don't have a machine to join the band together and my leather sewing skills aren't so keen. Is there a millinery source that sells sweatbands already pre connected ?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If by 'pre-connected' you mean pre-sized, I have never seen any.

The difference between sewing in a 'pre-connected' and an 'uncut blank' is minimal, anyway. The connection at the rear is the least of your issues, sewing skills or no. Also, you don't need a sewing machine to attach a sweatband. Brad Bowers turned me on to a sewing awl that makes simultaneous top and bottom stitching relatively easy. He has a tutorial here on how to use the awl. It was very helpful to me. If I can find it, I'll post it, unless someone else does so before me.

masiaka

Familiar Face
How hard would it be to add starburst vents to a hat? If it's something that can be done at home, and wouldn't need to be done by a hat maker, what tools would I need? I have an old, cheap, wool hat that is falling apart that I can practice on; it's certainly not going to get any more wear whether I cut on it or not. Not that I plan on mangling my new fedora when it arrives. I'm just the curious sort, and some pictures on the lounge piqued my interest.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I trying to find a Borsalino black grosgrain ribbon hat band to replace a hat band that was destroyed during cleaning. I need one with "Borsalino" on the band.

No you don't! Consider yourself lucky -- now, you can add a ribbon to your hat that is free from advertising... It will be a much, much, better look...:)

How hard would it be to add starburst vents to a hat? If it's something that can be done at home, and wouldn't need to be done by a hat maker, what tools would I need? I have an old, cheap, wool hat that is falling apart that I can practice on; it's certainly not going to get any more wear whether I cut on it or not. Not that I plan on mangling my new fedora when it arrives. I'm just the curious sort, and some pictures on the lounge piqued my interest.

Talk to member Aureliano when he returns from his trip to Italy.

hatterd

New in Town
A good online store to buy an Akubra from ??? (Australia)

G'day all,

I was looking at getting another Akubra, and was wondering whether any of you would know where the best places would be online to purchase one??

Cheers!!

job

One Too Many
I have a Adams wool tweed walking hat that came to me all wonky. Can I steam it? Can I use felt stiffener? It looks kind of like this.

300x300_rexBorsalino_brown.jpg

I really like it but it needs some TLC.

Last edited:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I need a new sweatband in a western I picked up today, and I was really wanting to try my hand at a little hat work such as that, so what tools would I need, and where could I get the blank?

BlinkyInky

New in Town
I'm sorry. I asked this question before, but I didn't get an answer.

I need help finding (and identifying) a certain kind of hat. I am looking for the kind of hat that Odin is described as wearing in Norse Mythology. It's described as a soft, wide-brimmed, and floppy hat. As for material, I would like it to be made of tweed/wool or some other kind of no-animal material, but that isn't a necessity. At first, I thought of a fedora, but I've never really seen any fedoras that have brims bent at this level before. Most of them are mostly straight on the brim.

Here is classic picture and a description of what I am talking about.

Odin prefers a large floppy number, with a brim large enough to shade the eyes (or in his case, eye)...sporting a cloak, wide soft hat and a staff.

draft_lens2162111module11383046photo_1220802876odin.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
C&S, here's a page on pretty much everything you'd wanna know about a tool called a stitch awl.

http://www.google.com/search?client....,cf.osb&fp=b89b7b97a2379674&biw=1247&bih=666

There's a thread here on FL, written by Brad Bowers, about exactly how to use it. Maybe someone can find it, because I can't, and I've looked.

Anyway, a stitch awl is a hand tool that allows you to sew top and bottom at the same time, sort of like an electric sewing machine. It takes a little time to get used to using, but once you do, it makes hand sewing a piece of leather onto a piece of felt not only possible, but fairly easy.

A thread ripper would be handy, too, for removing the old sweatband. It works much better than a knife or scissor for opening seams.

RBH

Bartender
I'm sorry. I asked this question before, but I didn't get an answer.

I need help finding (and identifying) a certain kind of hat. I am looking for the kind of hat that Odin is described as wearing in Norse Mythology. It's described as a soft, wide-brimmed, and floppy hat. As for material, I would like it to be made of tweed/wool or some other kind of no-animal material, but that isn't a necessity. At first, I thought of a fedora, but I've never really seen any fedoras that have brims bent at this level before. Most of them are mostly straight on the brim.

Here is classic picture and a description of what I am talking about.

draft_lens2162111module11383046photo_1220802876odin.jpg

A hat such as this with the crown left open and the ribbon removed might work.
You would also need to 'rough' it up quite a bit.

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001068.php

edit to add:
Maybe a hat body would suit your needs.

http://www.hatsupply.com/beaver.htm

Last edited:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
C&S, here's a page on pretty much everything you'd wanna know about a tool called a stitch awl.

http://www.google.com/search?client....,cf.osb&fp=b89b7b97a2379674&biw=1247&bih=666

There's a thread here on FL, written by Brad Bowers, about exactly how to use it. Maybe someone can find it, because I can't, and I've looked.

Anyway, a stitch awl is a hand tool that allows you to sew top and bottom at the same time, sort of like an electric sewing machine. It takes a little time to get used to using, but once you do, it makes hand sewing a piece of leather onto a piece of felt not only possible, but fairly easy.

A thread ripper would be handy, too, for removing the old sweatband. It works much better than a knife or scissor for opening seams.

Thanks! My mother, being a hobbiest seamstress, has the seam ripper, so I'll just have to find the awl. So, the only question remains is: where do I get the blank?

RBH

Bartender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran