Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marc115028

New in Town
Re-blocking Hat

Hi All
Im hoping someone out there can help me. I have Biltmore that needs to re-blocked to make is about 1/8-1/4 bigger. I live in Hudson Valley area of NY State. I was looking at J.J. Hat center in NY (problem is im about 90 mins from them. I was wondering 2 things.
1) can anyone recommend company in 845 0r 914 area code.
2) What should i expect to pay for a professional reblocking.
Marc

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi All
Im hoping someone out there can help me. I have Biltmore that needs to re-blocked to make is about 1/8-1/4 bigger. I live in Hudson Valley area of NY State. I was looking at J.J. Hat center in NY (problem is im about 90 mins from them. I was wondering 2 things.
1) can anyone recommend company in 845 0r 914 area code.
2) What should i expect to pay for a professional reblocking.
Marc

Qualified hat shops with the proper equipment are few and far between. JJ may well be the closest to you. Search for the "Hat stores - a list" thread which has a listing of brick and mortar stores.

As far as price, reblocks can actually vary. I've seen anywhere from $40 to $150.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm in NY. JJ doesn't re-block hats themselves as they don't have the equipment. They are just a retail store. (they will steam and hand crease your hat) I was told, years ago, that they send their hats away when they have re-blocks for customers. Later I found out they send them to Worth & Worth. Skip the middle man, and head (no pun intended) to W&W. They are have hundreds of blocks.

Lt. Bob

New in Town
Forum related question: When I look at the site on my tablet, I always end up with a mobile view and have to force it over to desktop mode. Is there a way to set my preferences on the forum to always go to the desktop view? I've looked through all the settings I can find on the site and can't find one to change the default.
Mobile view drives me crazy because I can't jump to the first new post in a thread.

Thanks

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Forum related question: When I look at the site on my tablet, I always end up with a mobile view and have to force it over to desktop mode. Is there a way to set my preferences on the forum to always go to the desktop view? I've looked through all the settings I can find on the site and can't find one to change the default.
Mobile view drives me crazy because I can't jump to the first new post in a thread.

Thanks

The top right hand corner should have a button for "PC Mode."

Curly

New in Town

Thanks

At least on my iPad in mobile mode, if I click on the thread link, it takes me to the first unread message. I don't know if that is the default or if I had to set it somewhere.

That said, to change your default mode, try the following: in PC Mode, go into the Settings menu, then into the General Settings area, then scroll down to the Miscellaneous Options. There you can set your default for the Forum Skin to be Blackened or Default Mode (the Lightweight option is for mobile mode). Then save your changes and see if that works for you.

McCoy

New in Town
Is there a hat cleaning service database and or hat repair service database on this forum that goes by region? I have just read the DIY thread on how to clean your hat, but judging by the few before/after photos and results I would be interested in professional services.

Is there a hat cleaning service database and or hat repair service database on this forum that goes by region? I have just read the DIY thread on how to clean your hat, but judging by the few before/after photos and results I would be interested in professional services.
Does Byrnie Utz (in Seattle!) offer cleaning/blocking services?

McCoy

New in Town
Does Byrnie Utz (in Seattle!) offer cleaning/blocking services?

They send those orders out and are basically a middleman. I just thought it would be a good idea for a stickie so's an out of towner or new member could find reputable services in any region they might travel.
It's not tlike the old days when you'd pay the guy at the rodeo twenty-five cents for an instant dip in the perc vat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Oops. I did it again...
Tried to shrink a sweatband a little since I have a hat or two that I swim in, now that my hair is short. Not a good idea. As soon as it began to shrink, it completely withered almost instantly. I know, I know...
I remember Brad Bowers posting something about a stitch awl to use sewing a new sweatband.

Can anyone point me to a thread that has a tutorial about hand-stitching sweatbands (no machine)? This one may be best in the hands of a pro, though.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
...and I as well. Thanks, zetwal! I have it bookmarked now.

I apologize for asking such a redundant question, but the lounge's search engine doesn't yield the results I expect most of the time, even when I type in the exact name of a thread, for instance.

RBH

Bartender
Sorry Bowlerman my intent was not at you.
Here is a sticky that should help.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61323-How-to-search-the-Fedora-Lounge

And once again here is the best way to search the Lounge.
A Google search.

Go to Google and type what you are searching. We will use stitch awl.
Type it in this way.
site:thefedoralounge.com stitch awl
The first hit on my search was
"Stitch Awl Tutorial - Sweatband Installation"

I hope this helps.

Also if you guys will give me the links to threads you think important I will try to add them to the sticky at the top of the page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24