Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I thought about mothballs but I really don't want a hat that is smelling like those things. So, is there anything you use?

Bottled concentrated cedar oil is also available. Put some plain cotton balls or cedar chips (or whatever) in a small open container and douse with the oil. This works wonders and is easy to recharge.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I finally had the oppor-knockety to weigh (what I think to be) my finest panama (no name, no brand, no ID, cotton sweat), the weave is, literally, finer than grains of sand on the beach, it is like a fine cloth & it flaps like a flag w/ a stiff wind.

Wow, that is a fine hat. Among the finest I've seen also, although hard to say for sure, if it's not before your eyes. Where the heck did you get that, and how much was it, if it's not too nosy?

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Okay, allow me to start by saying that this is my first post on the Fedora Lounge, though I'd been reading through the threads for quite some time before creating an account. I'm relatively new to the world of hats, but I've learned quite a bit in a small amount of time.

But anyway, I purchased a new old stock ADAM Executive Quality fedora on eBay, my hat size is 7 3/8 regular oval, the hat claimed to be that size but had shrunk from its original size over the years. I took the hat to Peters Bros. Hats in Fort Worth, Texas to have it stretched twice (because I realized that it still wasn't big enough after I got home the first time). It now fits, but it seems to contract after bringing it home, and at this point could use a little stretch again. Now since I'm getting this stretched at the store, I am unable to let it set overnight on a block (and of course I can't sleep in the hat), which I gather, after reading some here, would help it keep its shape. I've been considering purchasing a 4 way hat stretcher (like this), but that costs $85.00, which I'd rather not spend if there's a cheaper alternative that could serve the same purpose. I want to be able to stretch the hat a bit, as opposed to just retaining the shape, but I don't want to turn it into a long oval.

Basically, my question is, should I go ahead and buy the 4 way stretcher, or is there something cheaper that would be just as good?

The ADAM Executive Fedora

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Hi CONELRAD,

Welcome to the forum. If you will do a search for "hat stretcher" on EBay a bunch of different type stretchers at reasonable prices will come up. My head size is a long oval so the stretcher you posted looks like it wouldn't work too good for me but it looks like a nice stretcher for a round head shape.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
A stupid question, I fear. What is the origin of silver belly? It is such an odd name.

Literally the finest fur on a beaver's body. If you go to Optimo's website, they have a video with Graham talking about their felt which goes into it...Optimo's silverbelly 1000 felt is an all natural, undyed felt, much like the "clear beaver" Stetsons of yesteryear. As you might imagine, most "silverbelly" is thus dyed.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Hi CONELRAD,

Welcome to the forum. If you will do a search for "hat stretcher" on EBay a bunch of different type stretchers at reasonable prices will come up. My head size is a long oval so the stretcher you posted looks like it wouldn't work too good for me but it looks like a nice stretcher for a round head shape.

Thank you very much, I have searched eBay and Etsy for hat stretchers periodically and mostly found two way stretchers, most of which are too small to expand up to 7 3/8 (if they use the same standard as the modern ones). The 4 way one seems to be the best option for me, but as I said, I don't want to waste my money on something unnecessary.

I also would like to ask another question regarding the same hat. The second time I took the hat to Peters Bros., I had already creased the hat, and the person there , after stretching it, steamed the shape in before I could stop him, which I would have preferred he not do, since the hat keeps a shape perfectly, and steaming it removes my ability to re-shape it at will. Plus, after getting home, I noticed that the pinch is about an inch off center. Additionally, some how, after he steamed it there's a light discoloration around the crease in the top of the crown. Now, I admit to not being an expert, but I don't understand how a small amount of steam can cause this, but it frustrates me since it wasn't there before and the hat was essentially new.

But basically, what I want to know is the best way to steam the hat back to open crown, such as whether I should use an open pot, a kettle, etc., and also how to eliminate the discoloration around the crease (I can't call it a stain, because that indicates a staining substance, and the area is lighter than the rest of the hat).

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I've brushed the hat several times, which may have helped a bit (or I may have imagined it did), and I do not have a hat sponge yet, but I'm planning to get one as soon as I can, along with other hat supplies.

Landman

One Too Many
I've brushed the hat several times, which may have helped a bit (or I may have imagined it did), and I do not have a hat sponge yet, but I'm planning to get one as soon as I can, along with other hat supplies.

On older silverbelly hats I've noticed that sometimes when they are steamed an old stain will resurface. I have sprinkled a little talcum powder (Baby Powder) on the spot and let it sit over night. The next morning I brush away the powder. Sometimes the powder will absorb whatever caused the stain and can be brushed away. I have only tried this on silverbelly hats. I would think the light colored powder on a darker hat may create a problem.

Thank you very much, I have searched eBay and Etsy for hat stretchers periodically and mostly found two way stretchers, most of which are too small to expand up to 7 3/8 (if they use the same standard as the modern ones). The 4 way one seems to be the best option for me, but as I said, I don't want to waste my money on something unnecessary.

Search for Hat Jack as well.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
On older silverbelly hats I've noticed that sometimes when they are steamed an old stain will resurface. I have sprinkled a little talcum powder (Baby Powder) on the spot and let it sit over night. The next morning I brush away the powder. Sometimes the powder will absorb whatever caused the stain and can be brushed away. I have only tried this on silverbelly hats. I would think the light colored powder on a darker hat may create a problem.

I wouldn't call it silverbelly by any means, but I also wouldn't consider it a dark color, it's more of a taupe. Side by side it looks equal in shade if not lighter than my caribou Stetson Temple. The Stetson website recommends talcum powder or corn starch to remove stains. I also don't think it would have such a stain considering the fact that when I got it, the crown was perfectly open, it was creased by the sellers on eBay for display, but open for the delivery and, as far as I know, never (permanently) creased before that. The only preexisting stains are several tiny dark spots on the crown and brim, which I attribute to its age.

The discoloration on the crown, it's on the crease and goes around the entire crown.

Hat Discoloration by CONELRAD6568, on Flickr

Landman

One Too Many
That sure looks to me like it has spent some time with a crease in it. Maybe one of the real hatters around here will give you some advice. I'd like to hear it too because I have a couple hats with old crease marks like that.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Well, I can promise that it was not there before. As a perfectionist, I always inspect purchases upon arrival, and I don't know how I could have found three or four miniscule dark spots on the crown and missed the ring all way around the hat. Also, pre-steaming, I could shape the hat any way I wanted and the felt had no memory of a previous crease, whereas, post-steaming, the discoloration is exactly on the crease I put in and Peters Jr. steamed in. And again, aside from several very light dimples on the back that I had steamed out, the crown was perfectly round and open.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot