Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hey, I'm searching a specific Akubra, which I had years ago. It was called "Interpreter", or somehow like that. Did anyone hear of it? Or has a link? Or an idea?

I really want to find it again, but no results in the www.

The International, perhaps?
Actually I'm not familiar with Akubra models, but you might want to check hatsdirect and akubra.com to see if you can find what you're looking for. They have a wide selection of Akubras. No Interpreter there, though.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I'm trying to take pics of some vintage fedoras I have for sale. How do you guys get the lighting right so the color is accurate?

Brian

O.K., that's my department (brag alarm :D).

Unless you're planning a studio setup (I wouldn't be able to give tips on that, I only know about outdoor photography), here's a few things to consider:

Shoot outdoors in overcast conditions; a thin cloud cover all over the sky that still lets through lots of light is ideal.
There will be almost no shadows under these conditions, and the light will be neither too cool (bluish) nor too warm (reddish).
In direct sunlight, colors will have a shift towards reddish.
In the shade, colors will be rendered too bluish on film.
A cloud that momentarily hides the direct sunlight on a sunny day might do, but the colors still have a shift toward the bluish side.
Under heavy cloud cover, the light will again be too bluish, and the colors will be too dull.

The best time is usually the early morning hours, around 2h after sunrise, or the eqivalent late in the day. No direct sunlight, though. Around noon, the light is harsher than at other times of the day. If you are lucky to have one of those brightly overcast days, the midle of the day will probably be still good enough.

Shoot against a textured background of some fairly neutral color. Try an old wall, a wooden bench, stone alleys, some cloth, whatever is easily accessible to you. Very light backgrounds without texture are best reserved for studio setups.

This is the background I've been using for a while now:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...TOP-TEN-Hats&p=1512524&viewfull=1#post1512524

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...TOP-TEN-Hats&p=1512330&viewfull=1#post1512330

If possible, get some support for the camera. Hold it firmly, and release the shutter slowly to avoid blurring.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Whippet question

Did an authenic Stetson Whippet have the name Whippet on the sweatband, such as the Open Road, or just on the liner?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, I've seen the Whippet marking on the sweat only, the liner only, and both all in one.

Mystic

Practically Family
Unless I'm very much mistaken, I've seen the Whippet marking on the sweat only, the liner only, and both all in one.

Thanks Rabbit,

That would mean paying a high price for a Whippet on ebay with the Whippet liner only would be a very risky buy unless you knew the seller.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hey, I'm searching a specific Akubra, which I had years ago. It was called "Interpreter", or somehow like that. Did anyone hear of it? Or has a link? Or an idea?

I really want to find it again, but no results in the www.

This hat was supposed to be introduced with great fanfare and hopes of success, but it was eventually determined that the hat didn't make the translation from design to implementation.

StokerCat

New in Town
As a follow up on my question about Wrangler Hats by Miller Bros., the hat has "5X BEAVER" stamped on the sweatband. Not surprisingly, it's pretty stiff but not nearly as cardboard feeling as some modern day Stetsons that I've tried on. But hair is clearly seen and it's not unlike a Stratton campaign hat I have that was once a State Trooper's hat. I'm currently working on bashing it up ala The Man With No Name. Anyone know of a source of a screen accurate band that's less than $60 like what I've seen online?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
As a follow up on my question about Wrangler Hats by Miller Bros., the hat has "5X BEAVER" stamped on the sweatband. Not surprisingly, it's pretty stiff but not nearly as cardboard feeling as some modern day Stetsons that I've tried on. But hair is clearly seen and it's not unlike a Stratton campaign hat I have that was once a State Trooper's hat. I'm currently working on bashing it up ala The Man With No Name. Anyone know of a source of a screen accurate band that's less than $60 like what I've seen online?

Knudsen has one for $35, although not being an expert on that hat, I can't vouch for the accuracy.

StokerCat

New in Town
And for a double-dip...I bought a super soft, very floppy hat at the flea market today and wonder if anyone knows anything about the maker, etc. as I can't dig up anything online or within the Lounge. It's identical to this only in black and is in the same brand new condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130761153958

The fabric band reads "Fiorentino" and "100% FUR FELT". Also, it's so floppy that the brim won't hold a good shape. Is there a hat stiffener that is suggested as better than others?

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I want to buy a hat from the hattery "Falcon Park". I wrote 2 mails to them, one week ago. Nothing returns. Normal?

Regards, Arne

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I had my first dealings with Falcon Park last week. Within a couple of hours of emailing I had a reply. That was far better than the average for a business in my experience.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone had experience with "katarinacouture" on Etsy? Looks like a new on the scene milliner with some neat stylistic elements that caught my eye.

RokkerMan

New in Town
Interesting Western / Fedora Combo

Without getting tomatoes thrown at me for referencing Mr. Depp, I am intrigued by this hat and what it might be. It looks similar to a Tom Mix but with a slightly shorter brim and fedora style crown. The upturned brim edge is throwing me. Anyone know what this is?

cowboy.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran