Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tweedbowler

New in Town
How well can a Panama deal with rain? I have tried to do a search on this but haven't been able to find very much (though I am sure it has been covered).

ideaguy

One Too Many
I've got a perplexing situation-have in front of me a Dobbs One Hundred-and a Resistol One Hundred; both have felts that are smooth as silk;
both are Western bodies-with an OR styling; need to sell one of 'em, but can't find mention of either hat in the 100 club; both hats are 7 1/2;
and both are spectacular; trying to take photos today outside (too windy, bad exposures), will email photos to anyone interested. Want to be fair in pricing, and also don't want to give away a rare and special fedora. Need a hand here, folks...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello all! I'm curious if anyone can help me track down some similar style hats to these i'm about to post. Thanks!

Here's that had in a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RWY6QPzkn4

Also this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7ohJErPLU

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVOBN5rY8iw

Well, the photo and first two videos don't really provide a good look at the hat. It's probably between a 2 1/4"-2 1/2" brim. Hard to say anything else definitive without a better look at the ribbon, or at least a level shot which gives a good view of the crown proportions.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
I've got a perplexing situation-have in front of me a Dobbs One Hundred-and a Resistol One Hundred; both have felts that are smooth as silk;
both are Western bodies-with an OR styling; need to sell one of 'em, but can't find mention of either hat in the 100 club; both hats are 7 1/2;
and both are spectacular; trying to take photos today outside (too windy, bad exposures), will email photos to anyone interested. Want to be fair in pricing, and also don't want to give away a rare and special fedora. Need a hand here, folks...
Hmm im interested if the price works out. Pm me see if we can work something out.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Is the crown of this hat tapered?

mem.jpg

What about this?
Chazon_Ish.jpg

GamaH

A-List Customer
Is the taper angle generally standardized or would one have to be specific when having a hat made from a custom maker, e.g., Optimo?

job

One Too Many
Hats tend to show the most taper front to back because of the crease running front to back. a diamond crease is different in that regard.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Gama, just look at the blocks Optimo has. Taper is not a mysterious thing. Most of Optimo's designs are on the same tapered block. As long as you have a straight on view of the front and sides, you can see if the block is tapered.

mooglesrcute

New in Town
Just bought a vintage hat. I'm a little bit of a germ-a-phobe, so I would like to clean/disinfect the sweatband and the silk inside, what is the best way to do this without damaging the hat? I have lexol leather shampoo and conditioner. Does that disinfect too? what about the silk? is a little lysol bad?

GamaH

A-List Customer
Gama, just look at the blocks Optimo has. Taper is not a mysterious thing. Most of Optimo's designs are on the same tapered block. As long as you have a straight on view of the front and sides, you can see if the block is tapered.

Would I be right in saying that generally if it looks tapered (and if I have to ask if it's tapered), it's probably tapered, and that untapered crowns are very obviously untapered, e.g., Indiana Jones' hat?

rlk

I'll Lock Up

They have more Blocks than a place to put them--if you don't want the particular model as illustrated, speak with them. The crease also determines the appearance. So it would be incorrect to say that they lack the blocks for straighter crowned hats--its merely that they show what they sell most.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
They have more Blocks than a place to put them--if you don't want the particular model as illustrated, speak with them. The crease also determines the appearance. So it would be incorrect to say that they lack the blocks for straighter crowned hats--its merely that they show what they sell most.

Indeed, did not mean to imply that they are incapable of straighter looks/blocks. My Optimo is done on their 52 block. But most of their hats on the website are tapered.

Gama: yes, if it's not straight up and down, it's tapered. Very simple. Although as Job and RLK have noted, a crease can affect how tapered the final look is.

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up

Both have shown up here. Here is Jimmy The Lid's thread on his Dobbs 100 > Dobbs 100
I remember seeing Resistol 100's mentioned a couple of times. Don't have a specific thread.

B

job

One Too Many
I want a linen newsboy cap for summer. I feel some of them could look like I was wearing one of my wife's hats. I like a more standard classic look. If it was a winter cap that would be no problem for they look very much like a mans hat.

mooglesrcute

New in Town
I recently bought a hat 7 3/8ths, a little too small for my liking. Sorry i know this is a newbie question but what are the next 4 or 5 ascending sizes and their corresponding inch measurements (do they generally correspond to inch measurements?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko