Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Yah I am sorry about that. i spent most of today researching hats and have concluded that a vintage hat is the way to go and a quality one tends to be beaver felt. I am starting to get into this and did not want to spend a lot of money. I am testing waters to see if it really is my thing.

Also just verifying I measured my head and it was 59.3-4ish cm. That translates to 7-3/8 correct?

Also how do people acquiring a new hat go about cleaning it? Is it something j can take to the dry cleaners?

Last edited:

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Alright. I do not have a local hat store.

I was looking at the stetson open road but it seemed to be more of a new hat vs a vintage ish hat. Thoughts?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
New hat vs vintage in what sense? Styling? No, it doesn't look like a 'gangster fedora' like Capone might wear, but it is a classic and much emulated style of hat.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Alright then. I will continue looking. All of them on ebay appeared to be white or whitish. Right now I am in the market for a brown one.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Well I just looked at their catalog and I like the silverbelly a lot it is like a tan color, I am also liking the mink color. It sort of looks like an indiana jones color.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
So is this something that seems worth while? I am not really sure what he means by all the dimensions he lists. I just understand that I need a 7-3/8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-STETSON...669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232e588985

Not a fan of that hat but the measurements mean 7 3/8.

This is the diameter around the hat band 23 1/4"
This is the metric size of the hat 59cm,
The first number is a front to back of the sweatband 8" x this is the side to side measurement 6 5/8"

I'm thinking of ordering an Akubra Campdraft. Please someone help me decide if the Heritage is really that much better than the Imperial grade.
If you want the Moonstone, then there is no choice. You have to go Heritage. If not, only you can decide if the felt, sweatband, & ribbons are "that much" better. They are better.
If I was going to have only one Campdraft, it'd be the Heritage Moonstone. If I was limited to just 2, I'd have an Imperial Silverbelly & a Heritage Moonstone... JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace