Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I am going to the opera later this week and was wondering how hat etiquette pertains in this situation. Of course it will be off when seated, but what about when walking into the theater or in the lobby?
-Thanks!
Only reason to take your hat off in the lobby is if you are talking to someone, it is polite to take your hat off then. Lobbies, hallways, elevators, train stations, etc are all fair game to keep your hat on. Entering the office or someones home it comes off.
I concur. Unless you stop to talk to someone it's acceptable to wear your hat in the lobby, but it should be removed before you take your seat so as not to block the view of anyone sitting behind you. Of course, if the venue offers "hat and coat check" services you can take advantage of that before the performance begins and not have to concern yourself with what to do with your hat during the show.

javadave61

Practically Family
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Lounge and new to my love for fedoras. I have a question around the shape of a hat / crown in regards to my large head. I'm 7 1/2 - 7 5/8. My questions are...

1. When a hat is a 7 5/8, do they make the crowns proportionally larger than they do for, say, a size 7? In other words, would the same style hat look larger on a person who is a size 7 (narrower and taller) and smaller on someone who is a 7 5/8 (wider and shorter)? Coming from the world of baseball caps with relatively low crowns, my fedoras seemed huge at first, but as I have become accustomed to the style, they are starting to look relatively small on my head.

2. Are there certain styled hats that I should be on the lookout for that are more "fitting" to those of us with larger heads?

3. I've attached a photo of my Bailey Madison hat. Is this a proportional crown for me???

I appreciate in advance the collective wisdom of the group!

2015-02-23 07.54.28-1.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm new to the Lounge and new to my love for fedoras. I have a question around the shape of a hat / crown in regards to my large head. I'm 7 1/2 - 7 5/8. My questions are...

1. When a hat is a 7 5/8, do they make the crowns proportionally larger than they do for, say, a size 7? In other words, would the same style hat look larger on a person who is a size 7 (narrower and taller) and smaller on someone who is a 7 5/8 (wider and shorter)? Coming from the world of baseball caps with relatively low crowns, my fedoras seemed huge at first, but as I have become accustomed to the style, they are starting to look relatively small on my head.

2. Are there certain styled hats that I should be on the lookout for that are more "fitting" to those of us with larger heads?

3. I've attached a photo of my Bailey Madison hat. Is this a proportional crown for me???

I appreciate in advance the collective wisdom of the group!

View attachment 24880

Welcome to the Lounge.
A 5 1/2 open crown is same for size 7 as a size 7 1/2, height-wise.
I'm a 7 5/8 & prefer a 5 5/8 open crown at least in my custom orders, but that is for creasing options.
I don't look good in stingy brims, nothing under 2 1/2", most 2 5/8" or wider.

Your face makes that crown look to low to be proportional.
Symmetry is the key. Looking for same dimensions from the brim edge to your chin as to the top of the crown.
JMHO

javadave61

Practically Family
Thanks! That's very helpful. Step one has been for me to become comfortable with a higher crown (I think I'm there). This helps me know how high it needs to be. This hat originally had a center dent, but in reshaping it, it's a little lower than it first was. Maybe back to its original height will make this hat work much better.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hello to all.

Just a quick question, I am thinking about buying a Tawny Fedora hat and was just about to buy a Stetson Temple in Fawny when I realised that, Icluding shipping to México I will cost me just $65.00 Us more to get a Campdraft in Fawn and a Tablelands in Sand…

So right now I am in doubt, should I order just the Temple or get the other 2 for some bucks more !!

Help needed !!

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up

:arated:
Campdraft over a Temple every day of the week but then I'm a notorious TAR-fanatic.
Even if you, perish the thought, put a wider ribbon on a Campdraft of even cut down the brim, blasphemy, you have a better felt body with the Akubra than the Temple. JMHO

Just my opinion,but I'd go for the Akubras.
Seems that we have the order set for the Akubras then !!!! ;)

3 month wait anyway !!!

Thanks a lot guys !

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Question regarding hat block sizing/circumference to interior of finished hat size/circumference ratio. If I wear a 7 1/8 hat size (22 1/2 inches/57cm) should I get a hat block that is 22 1/2 inches or should it be 1/2 inch larger than the circumference of the interior of the finished hat? Do I need to buy a hat block that is 23 inches in order to get a fit at 22 1/2 inches (size 7 1/8)?

I am new and have been buying tools to do my own hat blocking and shaping but haven't purchased a block yet as I am not sure about what to buy.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Landman

One Too Many
Anybody have an idea as to the manufacturer of this store brand hat based on the size tag?

Rick,

I have a Pilgrim Open Road style hat from Sears with the same type of size tag. I think I mistakenly identified that size tag as an Adams hat in another thread when you asked. I believe Lee Hats made them for Sears. Sorry about the confusion. I could have sworn that at one time I had an Adams hat with a similar size tag but my memory ain't what it use be!

Here is a picture showing the size tag of my hat. There are more pictures of the hat in the "Pilgrim's Pride" thread.

PilgrimHat202.jpg

pnbarber

New in Town
I have a new to me Vagabond that needs to be cleaned and blocked. The sweatband is in very good condition but I was concerned about the tags under the sweatband. Are these affected adversely during the cleaning process? If so, what should I do to protect them?

Thanks in advance.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Rick,

I have a Pilgrim Open Road style hat from Sears with the same type of size tag. I think I mistakenly identified that size tag as an Adams hat in another thread when you asked. I believe Lee Hats made them for Sears. Sorry about the confusion. I could have sworn that at one time I had an Adams hat with a similar size tag but my memory ain't what it use be!

Here is a picture showing the size tag of my hat. There are more pictures of the hat in the "Pilgrim's Pride" thread.

Wow. Thanks Mike. I would not have guessed Lee. It is an Open Road clone from Worth-Walden in Dallas. I will take a peek inside the sweatband at the reorder label and compare it to my Lee Trail. That is really interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy