Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Not moot, man!

I used to be less concerned about that until I read somewhere in here about a gal getting ringworm out of an old lid's sweatband. Can you say "EEeeeww-AH!"

Now, every sweatband in a vintage coming into my home gets a good dose of either Zep or Peckard's leather Cleaner/Conditioners. Makes them look nicer, too. Have fun, el!

el_ote

Familiar Face
ill have to look into those. i was thinking buying a lysol aerosol spray and dousing them for starters... thanks HRM. i definitely want to avoid any creepy crawlers! the hat will have to stay in the box a little longer i guess

I'm sure a quick swipe with a baby wipe or some disinfectant goop, like you put on your hands, wouldn't hurt. Unless the sweat is in bad condition to begin with, and that's a whole 'nuther thing.

may be a moot point since the hats been on my head already, but what do you all use on the inside of the hat to clean before wearing a used hat bought online?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I use antiseptic wipes that come in most first aid kits. I wipe down the sweat & liner good & even stick a used hat in the freezer for a few days if it is really experience. I always treat the sweat with Lexol leather conditioner & cleaner too.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well there was a wide ribbon hat in the late 30's in the "air light" line of felts that was also called the Open Road. But the classic thin ribbon model which everyone knows as the OR should have binding.

Day_late

New in Town
I'm fond of Stetson Open Road hats and I'd like to have one of mine customized for a better fit. I live in the Seattle area. Is there anyone around who does that kind of work? Optimo, in Chicago, is an option but I'd prefer someone closer to home.

Thanks,
Warren

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I came across this bowler Stetson but it doesn't fit me. Don't know much about bowlers and not really interested in it because I cannot wear it. It was sold in a long vanished hat store in downtown Lisbon.
465916851_1x.jpg

465916851_2x.jpg

465916851_3x.jpg

465916851_4x.jpg

What would be the value of this and is there anyone interested in it? Size is 7 or 7 1/8.

Last edited:
I'm fond of Stetson Open Road hats and I'd like to have one of mine customized for a better fit. I live in the Seattle area. Is there anyone around who does that kind of work? Optimo, in Chicago, is an option but I'd prefer someone closer to home.

Thanks,
Warren

Art Fawcett took my vintage 7X CB Open Road style & did a jam up job fitting it to my noggin shape. Vintage Silhouettes is in the Pacific Northwest = http://vintagesilhouettes.com/

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have (or know of) a hemp milan fedora, with the same type of venting that Akubra uses for their Range hat?

Does anyone know how Akubra achieves the venting in their Range hat? Do they switch to a really open braid for that section?

Last edited:

ScaryWoody

New in Town
I have an Australian Outback fur felt hat. It fits well but the leather band kind of scrapes my forehead a bit. I think it's the threads in the band. I've tried stretching it. Any other fixes? Maybe something to make the area a bit softer?

I have an Australian Outback fur felt hat. It fits well but the leather band kind of scrapes my forehead a bit. I think it's the threads in the band. I've tried stretching it. Any other fixes? Maybe something to make the area a bit softer?

Sounds like the sweatband isn't positioned correctly. Can you post a photo? Since you only have 7 posts, you'll need to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket.com

Welcome to the Lounge...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
fd0a1cf723af4a5de038153ee0af6b7d.jpg

On my CD I ended up with a sort of center crease with some deep close pinches
I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24