Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Tough, since the "circle" is not perfectly round, you can't calculate using the circumference formula. (dang it!!) :mad:

I'd grab a cloth tape measure and run it around the sweatband. Once you've got that, any hat sizing chart should pretty much nail it.
8 " front to back
6 1/2" side to side
would be 7 1/4

looks to be pretty close to 8 front to back

the formula is to take those measurements ... add them together and divide by 2

boom ... your size

Jatasgo

New in Town
Hi everyone I have question. Can anyone tell me any information on the type of hat MJ is wearing in these photographs. I've looked many places but I can't find the brim curved like that with a tall crown.
mWzcmeO
mWzcmeO.jpg

mWzcmeO

Any information would be kindly appreciated thanks.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone I have question. Can anyone tell me any information on the type of hat MJ is wearing in these photographs. I've looked many places but I can't find the brim curved like that with a tall crown.
mWzcmeO
mWzcmeO.jpg

mWzcmeO

I know Michael had some hats made for him by the Golden State Hat Co.

I also heard many of his hats were made for him by the Herbert Johnson company ...

can't say for sure but these are things I've read over the years

take a look at some Borsalino catalogs I think you will fins something similar there

Jatasgo

New in Town
I know Michael had some hats made for him by the Golden State Hat Co.

I also heard many of his hats were made for him by the Herbert Johnson company ...

can't say for sure but these are things I've read over the years

take a look at some Borsalino catalogs I think you will fins something similar there
Thanks for the response. Do you know if there is a specific name for the brim shape?

Jatasgo

New in Town
it's just a deep flange with the front snapped down

like this

http://www.bencrafthats.com/the-beaver-by-borsalino-2517#.WTr-KRMrKCQ
Thanks for your help so far.
Well, I'm saving up for a nice one but I'd like one just to practice dancing with in the mean time. I don't know too much about hats and I'd like your opinion on this hat. https://www.amazon.com/Mjb2c-Michae..._3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=SH1YYZ019FMPDP836VY6 like the material and the quality just my looking at it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your help so far.
Well, I'm saving up for a nice one but I'd like one just to practice dancing with in the mean time. I don't know too much about hats and I'd like your opinion on this hat. https://www.amazon.com/Mjb2c-Michae..._3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=SH1YYZ019FMPDP836VY6 like the material and the quality just my looking at it.
that is basically a wool costume hat ... fine for the price I'm sure and for what you want it for ... to practice your Michael moves and whatnot
i assume you will be throwing it and all that so that may be the one you want.
but basically a novelty item ... which is fine if you are not a hat nerd like most of us here

if you dig it ... get it

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There are a bunch of el-cheapo wool hats that were apparently given and/or sold as gifts from MJ floating around the internet. I do believe they were Dorfman Pacific.

But moon is on the money. If the deep flange on the brim (which causes the upward curl), what you really want is a nice fur felt. The problem with that, is that a nice fur felt is probably not the hat you want to toss around....which is probably the reason MJ himself had that gaggle of wool hats that ended up on the secondary market.

I seem to recall that there were some video stills that actually showed a thin fishing wire between the brim and the crown which helped keep the back of the brim up.

Jatasgo

New in Town
There are a bunch of el-cheapo wool hats that were apparently given and/or sold as gifts from MJ floating around the internet. I do believe they were Dorfman Pacific.

But moon is on the money. If the deep flange on the brim (which causes the upward curl), what you really want is a nice fur felt. The problem with that, is that a nice fur felt is probably not the hat you want to toss around....which is probably the reason MJ himself had that gaggle of wool hats that ended up on the secondary market.

I seem to recall that there were some video stills that actually showed a thin fishing wire between the brim and the crown which helped keep the back of the brim up.
Well, ideally I'd like one for practice and then one to wear out. I ended up buying the one in the amazon link for now.

It's interesting to hear that about the hat. It seems like a lot of trouble for an artful detail that was most likely his idea.

RJR

Nope, it does not match the one on Tilley's website or any other websites. I think it is an old discontinued model.
Yeh,I have one of the oldest versions.As close as they have now looks like its called a breathable bucket or they have the toh1. Tilley Breathable Bucket Hat.JPG

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which Tilley's model is this hat? does not seem to be made any more, and looks like a boonie hat

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/08/79/8d0879b4d442ddd56ad4f6369a9e31c6.jpg
Long story short it's a T1. Back in the early 90's (when I bought my first Tilley) they only had three models. T1 was a Gilligans hat, T2 was a wide brimmed lady's sun hat. And the T3 that is what it still is today. So if you want a T1 your kind of SOL. For a close enough the TH5 would be similar. Is it the look? Material? Or are you just going to hold out for a vintage T1?
Johnny

Fedster

Familiar Face
Long story short it's a T1. Back in the early 90's (when I bought my first Tilley) they only had three models. T1 was a Gilligans hat, T2 was a wide brimmed lady's sun hat. And the T3 that is what it still is today. So if you want a T1 your kind of SOL. For a close enough the TH5 would be similar. Is it the look? Material? Or are you just going to hold out for a vintage T1?
Johnny

I would say the looks -- I like the sloping brim. It has a very nice proportion (to my eyes at least).

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mWzcmeO
mWzcmeO.jpg

mWzcmeO

You can always just get an Akubra Federation in black and snap the brim more dramatically.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui