Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I am really new to this site and hats in general. Are the catalogs linked somewhere here or do I need to go searching for them? What manufacturers would you suggest I look at?

Thanks,
Herb

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Stetson has multiple hats like the one in your picture....sans vent hole. I think a custom hatter or even a decent hat shop can install them for around $50. Check out Ebay just type in Stetson fur felt fedora in your size. Also, check out JJ Hat, Delmonico, Bencraft for their online catalogues. A custom hat in rabbit (better quality than any off the shelf hat) will set you back no more than $250 with the vents. If you want to pursue that route send me a PM and I will send you to some great custom hatters whose pricing is a steal.

Thanks, but I've heard conflicting opinions on whether hat jacks are really needed. My Stetson Chatham Sovereign is 12 years old and hasn't shrunk.

Why do you suggest that I use one on Akubra?
Akubra sweats are notorious for their "shrink-to-fit" properties. Of the four I own, only one hasn't evidenced this. Some but a size up. My experience is to buy my size (58 also) and they come in large on me. Wearing for a couple weeks conforms it to your head.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I am really new to this site and hats in general. Are the catalogs linked somewhere here or do I need to go searching for them? What manufacturers would you suggest I look at?

Thanks,
Herb
Also check out David Morgan the US Akubra dealer out of Seattle. They have a special on mid brown Akubra Stylemaster hats $110. It is a great hat at a super price. Comes open crown, I think, so you can bash it as you like or they will bash it to your spec. They may even be able to install the vent and grommets for you.
Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Pellie

One Too Many
Does anyone know this hatbrand? Please let me know... :) I can buy it, but i'm not sure about this brand, can't find anything about it on the internet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190822-143852.jpg
    Screenshot_20190822-143852.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 592
  • Screenshot_20190822-170130.jpg
    Screenshot_20190822-170130.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 573

Ribook

New in Town

Haven't uploaded photos before so we'll see how this goes. I'm looking for help identifying this Stetson. No style indicated on the sweatband as far as I know. (I don't have the hat in my possession or I'd know for sure and also could provide more photos.) Brim is 2", crown is 4 1/2. Closest thing I've found to its looks is the Playboy, but those don't seem to have a lining and the style usually is stated. Please let me know if you have an idea about what this might be. Thanks!
Stet7.jpg
Stet6.jpg
Stet5.jpg

Okay a bit more to go on, but I'm not sure the mystery is solved. Looks like the tag indicates this is a 'Streamliner,' though I haven't been able to find any information about a Stetson Streamliner. It's a very lightweight hat, and the color is more brown than I thought it would be given the original photos, which looked to me to be more in line with silverbelly. The crown is a bit more boxy than I expected, or maybe 'wide toward the back' is a more descriptive way to say it. At any rate, once again, if anyone has any information to offer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have never had an Akubra shrink on me. I think the shrinkage is a function of climate and the amount/ph level of the sweat one produces. I live in a very moderate west coast climate and I don't sweat that much even on our hot days so the sweat band doesn't get drenched in sweat.

Your experience is outside of the norm.

My Fed IV absolutely shrunk on me, it's one of the main reasons why I sold it. Not comfortable to wear anymore. I pulled out all the sizing tape I had put in when I got it.

Herb Hawkins

New in Town
Need help identifying a hat. All I have is a picture that I found online so it may be a long shot but any thoughts to get me closer to finding a similar hat would be appreciated. I posted this to another thread but it wasn't getting much attention. Sorry for the re-post.

View attachment 181337

I think I have found something that clicks a lot of the boxes minus the grommets and color of course.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 685
View attachment 181377 View attachment 181378 View attachment 181379
Okay a bit more to go on, but I'm not sure the mystery is solved. Looks like the tag indicates this is a 'Streamliner,' though I haven't been able to find any information about a Stetson Streamliner. It's a very lightweight hat, and the color is more brown than I thought it would be given the original photos, which looked to me to be more in line with silverbelly. The crown is a bit more boxy than I expected, or maybe 'wide toward the back' is a more descriptive way to say it. At any rate, once again, if anyone has any information to offer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
I cannot see your first pics for some reason, but the tagging you show doesn't look like Stetson. I assume the previous pics show that. Many brands made Stratoliner clones.

The name Streamliner seems familiar, though.

Ribook

New in Town
I cannot see your first pics for some reason, but the tagging you show doesn't look like Stetson. I assume the previous pics show that. Many brands made Stratoliner clones.

The name Streamliner seems familiar, though.

here are two of the original photos that mark it as a Stetson
Stet4.jpg
Stet3.jpg

here are two of the original photos that mark it as a Stetson View attachment 181398 View attachment 181399
Cool, thanks. Here we go. Mallory made a Streamliner.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_tid=67073&share_fid=65109&share_type=t

Looks like it to me. Stetson bought Mallory in the 1940s. Your Stetson markings look late 50s to me. Well, the brim binding on the Mallory looks wider. Perhaps Stetson kept the model alive after they retired the Mallory name.

That tag on the inner sweat looks like from an after market sale. I think the notation in the upper right is nwt - new with tags.

Last edited:

Ribook

New in Town
stets2.jpg

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_tid=67073&share_fid=65109&share_type=t

Looks like it to me. Stetson bought Mallory in the 1940s. Your Stetson markings look late 50s to me. Well, the brim binding on the Mallory looks wider. Perhaps Stetson kept the model alive after they retired the Mallory name.

That tag on the inner sweat looks like from an after market sale. I think the notation in the upper right is nwt - new with tags.

Hmmm, interesting possibility. I took the liberty of borrowing a photo from that link and placing it side-by-side with the Streamliner I just picked up. They do look very similar.
stets.jpg

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yeh, realize that but my Akubra Madison that I have had for 20 years now has not shrunk a whit

Look, if it's really grinding your gears, I'll amend my statement from "will shrink up" to "has a high probability of shrinking."

I don't know why mentioning the shrinking Akubra sweatband is now a controversial statement today as opposed to every other time it comes up.....

Last edited:
View attachment 181401
Hmmm, interesting possibility. I took the liberty of borrowing a photo from that link and placing it side-by-side with the Streamliner I just picked up. They do look very similar. View attachment 181400
Very similar in shape and blocking. Just the binding is different.

I hope you realize I'm just spitballin' here. But I also think it's a good guess.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

To add to it.
I googled “Stetson Streamliner the Fedora Lounge” and found the Mallory pic and a Stetson Streamliner pic sitting on a doctor’s bag in an old thread. Some discussion. I think it’s a pretty rare hat.
Good luck searching.
Very nice hat by the way.
B

Look, if it's really grinding your gears, I'll amend my statement from "will shrink up" to "has a high probability of shrinking."

I don't know why mentioning the shrinking Akubra sweatband is now a controversial statement today as opposed to every other time it comes up.....
No, there is lots of room for you to speak to your experience and me to speak to mine. That your Akubras shrink and mine do not does not mean either statement is false only that the situation is perhaps not as cut and dried or absolute.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
No, there is lots of room for you to speak to your experience and me to speak to mine. That your Akubras shrink and mine do not does not mean either statement is false only that the situation is perhaps not as cut and dried or absolute.

As I said, if it's really grinding your gears, we'll go with "will probably shrink." I'm not aiming to falsify your statement(s), but this is beyond my experience with Akubra. I can't even believe I have to defend this point. It's even right on the Akubra website:

https://akubra.com.au/pages/caring-for-your-akubra
Do not force dry the hat if it has become wet. The inside leather band will shrink and once this happens it is hard to stretch back to its original size.
  • When trying a hat on you will occasionally find one size too small and the next too big. It is suggested that you purchase the larger one and insert a liner inside the leather sweatband to help the hat fit more snugly. A hat that feels too tight will never be comfortable.
  • When the hat is new it may feel a little stiff, however with wear the leather hatband will begin to mould to your head shape.

It's great that your hats fit and haven't shrunk. That is atypical for Akubra, even with the highly unscientific sample size of the posts on the subject from today.

As I said, if it's really grinding your gears, we'll go with "will probably shrink." I'm not aiming to falsify your statement(s), but this is beyond my experience with Akubra. I can't even believe I have to defend this point. It's even right on the Akubra website:

https://akubra.com.au/pages/caring-for-your-akubra

It's great that your hats fit and haven't shrunk. That is atypical for Akubra, even with the highly unscientific sample size of the posts on the subject from today.
Okay, I defer. You win. Satisfied?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch