Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kyngfish

New in Town
Hi all. First time long time. So I finally am back in the cold weather after seven years in Florida. My go to hat has been a straw Mayser Tarbes which I love. But now in the Pacific Northwest I went and bought a Stetson open road in that lovely sage green. One of the things I like about the open road is that lovely flat brim.

So the weekend came around and I did what you do and wore the hell out of it in the drizzling rain working outside and in the garage and it dried on my head and now it seems to have rolled slightly downward in the front and upward in the back. Not quite fedora but along those lines. I think it may be related to my long oval head. When I first bought it - it fit snug on the front and back and a half a centimeter space on the sides. The rain and sweat seems to have confirmed it to my head. I don’t mind the downward front tilt but I don’t love the upward flip in the back. Any way to remedy? Pics below. Before and after.

5A9BEBC0-B897-4704-B2F9-28D454F2B70B.jpeg Hat2.jpg

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Hi. I'm new to posting on FL and forums in general so, apologies if my etiquette is not correct. I thoroughly enjoy reading the wealth of knowledge that this forum collectively has and wanted to tell you a bit about my work as a hatter here in the UK. I am both a maker and a researcher of early felt hat making techniques used prior to mechanisation. I produce authentic hand-felted hats for museums using tools reconstructed from those used 500 years ago, such as the bow-carder. I work mostly in wool, but am also able to work in rabbit and beaver. I am primarily self taught, although my methods are largely based on those I learnt from Mihalko Gyula, the last traditional felt hat maker in Hungary. I am currently conducting a worldwide study to try and find any felt hat maker that use these historical techniques. To my knowledge there are none left in Europe, but I am planning a trip to Mexico next year to document the work of one I have found there. If any members know of any, or would like to follow/be part of my project, please do check it out. https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-an-ancient-craft-on-the-brink-of-extinction
A very worthy project. Have I read of your hatmaking work and tools before?

thundurchasur

Familiar Face
I've just been reading a history of the Youngers, and noted the fact Missourians seem more County conscious than anyplace else I can think of.

I think that honor goes to Kansas. People who live in Overland Park, Lenexa, Olathe, etc. won't tell you the name of the town/city if you ask them where they live. They will tell you they live in Johnson County.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Maybe someone has a better answer, but I’d wet it down and flatten it myself. Good luck!

Hi all. First time long time. So I finally am back in the cold weather after seven years in Florida. My go to hat has been a straw Mayser Tarbes which I love. But now in the Pacific Northwest I went and bought a Stetson open road in that lovely sage green. One of the things I like about the open road is that lovely flat brim.

So the weekend came around and I did what you do and wore the hell out of it in the drizzling rain working outside and in the garage and it dried on my head and now it seems to have rolled slightly downward in the front and upward in the back. Not quite fedora but along those lines. I think it may be related to my long oval head. When I first bought it - it fit snug on the front and back and a half a centimeter space on the sides. The rain and sweat seems to have confirmed it to my head. I don’t mind the downward front tilt but I don’t love the upward flip in the back. Any way to remedy? Pics below. Before and after.

View attachment 200234 View attachment 200246

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
My folks have a place on Bull Shoals so I've been through Forsyth and Kissee Mills many times. I used to work in Branson back around 1979 at Mutton Hollow. Our place is on Hungry Creek just a mile or so from where it feeds into the North Fork. The Mark Twain National Forest on three sides and a 2000 acre private game preserve on the other. Paradise...

5a3746e8-7a8e-4a7e-9156-bee8845703e2-jpeg.198353
Truly beautiful country. Picture postcard perfect.
I spent the 5th, 6th and 7th of July in Branson in '97 or '98. The heat and humidity can't be photographed. My sweat was sweating.
After 40 years west of the 100th meridian, I can't concieve of a return to the land of insects and perspiration. My daughter is trying very hard to entice us (she's pregnant again), but I plan to be planted west of Powell's line.

View attachment 200234 View attachment 200246
I have had trouble with my modern Stetson brims going wonky after wearing in the rain. I sent one to my custom hatter to flatten the brim. Others I have had some success ironing it to flatten. Give it a good soaking with (I use distilled water in a spray bottle but being in the PNW you should be okay with tap water) water but be careful to not wet the ribbon as it can leave water marks after drying. Cover with a good cotton ironing cloth and then iron it on a hard surface not the spongy ironing board. I have also used heavy books to weigh the brim down whilst it dries. My permanent solution is to not wear my Stetsons in the rain if I can help it. I have a couple of Akubras that are my goto rain hats.....a necessity here on the Wet Coast.

thundurchasur

Familiar Face
I spent the 5th, 6th and 7th of July in Branson in '97 or '98. The heat and humidity can't be photographed. My sweat was sweating.
After 40 years west of the 100th meridian, I can't concieve of a return to the land of insects and perspiration. My daughter is trying very hard to entice us (she's pregnant again), but I plan to be planted west of Powell's line.

I lived on my sailboat for a year in Rockport Texas. Now that's humidity. Nice thing about being on the water is that the ambient temperature is the water temperature but if you go 50 yards inland, it heats up quick.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Seriously, as Mr. Cash said, "I've been everywhere, man."
Paradise is where the demons don't thrive. Colorado is being Californicated, but there's a lot of good country between the Mogollon rim in AZ and Sydney NE.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of humidity, my Mexican palm, pandanus, and some of my hemp straw hats were molding so I took advantage of an occasional sunny day and gave them a vinegar water/sun bath.
24d7f8a8f448c6378db49e425c185922.plist

Had to iron the brim of my VS Dualist because it got wonky. Used a damp wash cloth on an ironing board, then put it flat on a table with the band block Art used to make it.
c7a6061fc9963ca5a570308286af6a98.jpg
8431e75ab92527615009404b0e450dc1.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of humidity, my Mexican palm, pandanus, and some of my hemp straw hats were molding so I took advantage of an occasional sunny day and gave them a vinegar water/sun bath.
24d7f8a8f448c6378db49e425c185922.plist

Had to iron the brim of my VS Dualist because it got wonky. Used a damp wash cloth on an ironing board, then put it flat on a table with the band block Art used to make it.
c7a6061fc9963ca5a570308286af6a98.jpg
8431e75ab92527615009404b0e450dc1.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You drive me to drink.

I need help with this Whippet. It came without a ribbon and I have zero clue on how to do it or where to source a nice silver 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 Silver or gray ribbon.

Thank you in advance....
d2f426cbb281169e6d3668296b069056.jpg
fbe2e5b3c27b7f7e114c791004c6bd99.jpg
58c89ab76d46a272f375fbc0a3356937.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have replaced ribbons on hats that I did not want to spend a lot of money on. So rather than shipping the hat back and forth I just order bow work from a hatter and asked them to mail to me. They sent it to the approx. ccircumference but not attached to itself. My wife with a few invisible stitches attached it to the hat. For the price of the mailing I have a new ribbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran