Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dkstott

Practically Family

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220915-191623_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220915-191623_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 40

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Anyone have experience with Lite Felt (wool) hats? JJ Hat Center has brought back a hat from New York Hat Co. called The Atlantic. It's advertised as water-resistant, so I was thinking of using one as a hat for rainy days. However, from my experience, wool felt gets ruined in the rain.

It's got a welted edge, so it's similar in design to the Stetson Saxon. I spoke to someone at JJ's, and he said that the felt should actually be softer(?) than the Stetson Royal brand. I'm trying to decide whether to test that theory.

Here's a picture:

litefelt-atlantic-brown.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Royal is Stetson's lowest fur felt quality grade, that a hat is softer than that is not particularly impressive. Moreover, I would imagine the salesperson is talking about the crushability of the hat, rather than the hand of the felt. I would be extremely surprised if a wool felt was finished smoother than a fur felt.

I would not bet on a wool felt in the rain.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Royal is Stetson's lowest fur felt quality grade, that a hat is softer than that is not particularly impressive. Moreover, I would imagine the salesperson is talking about the crushability of the hat, rather than the hand of the felt. I would be extremely surprised if a wool felt was finished smoother than a fur felt.

I would not bet on a wool felt in the rain.
Yep. I figured as much. Considering I only wear Stetson Royal Deluxe and Borsalinos, this would be a considerable downgrade. I do have one rain hat, but it's made of cotton and doesn't really have the same aesthetic as a felt hat.

Who?

Practically Family
I don’t own a fur felt hat that I haven’t worn in the rain, but mine are not vintage hats.

From what I remember, it rained in the 30s and 40s, and men wore their hats.

Perhaps there is something I’m missing here.

(edited to add the word “fur” before the word “felt” in the first sentence, to preclude misunderstanding)

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
I hereby second the motion.
View attachment 453339
Anyone have experience with Lite Felt (wool) hats? JJ Hat Center has brought back a hat from New York Hat Co. called The Atlantic. It's advertised as water-resistant, so I was thinking of using one as a hat for rainy days. However, from my experience, wool felt gets ruined in the rain.

It's got a welted edge, so it's similar in design to the Stetson Saxon. I spoke to someone at JJ's, and he said that the felt should actually be softer(?) than the Stetson Royal brand. I'm trying to decide whether to test that theory.

Here's a picture:

Buy an Akubra as your rain hat...wear the hell out of it
I third the Akubra notion.
At the very beginning of my hat wearing adventures, I had a Bailey Litefelt and a New York Hat Co one.
I got rid of them fairly quickly after discovering fur felt. If you are used to wearing nice hats, I just don’t think you will enjoy wearing one of these.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here's a picture:

I don’t hesitate to wear any of my vintage felts in the rain.

Bill Hughes

I haven’t counted but I must have two dozen pugs. I swap them out on a couple of different vintage straws as needed. Right now I have them draped over a thick plastic clothes hanger. Anybody have a better way of storage for pug hat bands?

I haven’t counted but I must have two dozen pugs. I swap them out on a couple of different vintage straws as needed. Right now I have them draped over a thick plastic clothes hanger. Anybody have a better way of storage for pug hat bands?

Maybe a vintage necklace display stand:

1664196265530.png

Or rolled up in a vintage necktie box"

1664196318400.png

I have tried a few potential sources without much success. So my post here.

Does anyone have a source for wind cords and buttons?
I have been wanting to add some to my modern Stetsonian Hats for some time.....(and one modern OR I recently acquired). I just like the look....and well a OR does not really look like an OR without one does it?!?!?!?!?!?

Bill Hughes

I have been wanting to add some to my modern Stetsonian Hats for some time.....(and one modern OR I recently acquired). I just like the look....and well a OR does not really look like an OR without one does it?!?!?!?!?!?
I would try contacting a custom hatter.

Scott at FineVintageFedoras on Etsy often has some, but it's sporadic and colors are a crapshoot. I also tried sourcing some cord and bought a Dritz button press but that was a bust because the press was crap.

If you figure it out, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff