Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I like a 3" brim, but agree that we're straying out of the "fedora" category at that size. 4.5" is wide even by modern western standards. I don't even know where one would buy a fedora styled hat with a 4.5" brim. Just for me personally, I probably wouldn't go wider than 3" with a suit, unless the zoot suit look is your thing (In which case, go wild).

The best fedora to complement a navy pinstriped suit would be one with a neutral color, such as black, gray, or brown. A wide-brim fedora (with a brim between 3-4.5 inches) is the most classic style, but you could also opt for a trilby, which has a narrower brim and a slightly more modern look. When it comes to colors, black or dark gray is the most timeless and versatile choice, but you could also consider navy, dark brown, or even a light tan. Whichever color you choose, make sure it contrasts nicely with your navy pinstriped suit for a stylish look.

I like the 3-3 ⅛ inch wide brims of fedoras (I have an XL hat/head size). However, I think that even if one likes wide brims, a more modest and classic brim width looks better with a suit if wearing it as business attire or under any sort of formal circumstances. For most of us this means a brim of 2 ⅜ to 2 ¾” wide. To my eye, the more modest, not to say stingy, brims look more pulled together and more dressy than the very wide brims.

Hello folks,
Just a young fella who got into vintage menswear recently and was looking to obtain my first fedora, preferably looking for something that goes with a navy pin striped suit I’m currently acquiring and would love some suggestions on colour and style of hat to compliment the ensemble?

I’ll second the recommendation that you at least consider a homburg. I think a nice classically proportioned homburg is the perfect hat to pair with a suit. I think it adds some gravitas to the ensemble, but it also ups the formality and I’m not sure if that’s what you want.

I think a gray or black hat would be the most versatile and pair well with your navy pinstriped suit.

I like a 3" brim, but agree that we're straying out of the "fedora" category at that size. 4.5" is wide even by modern western standards. I don't even know where one would buy a fedora styled hat with a 4.5" brim. Just for me personally, I probably wouldn't go wider than 3" with a suit, unless the zoot suit look is your thing (In which case, go wild).
I keep pushing the boundaries personally. Last one strayed a bit over 3" and it def is not a classic fedora look. My sweet spot is 2 3/4" to 2 7/8" on a size 59cm hat.

Snowman

Practically Family
I keep pushing the boundaries personally. Last one strayed a bit over 3" and it def is not a classic fedora look. My sweet spot is 2 3/4" to 2 7/8" on a size 59cm hat.
I too am gravitating to larger brims. 2 1/2-2 5/8 used to be my preferred width, but of late I am noticing how small my 2 3/4 inch brims are looking…. I wonder why that is?

I too am gravitating to larger brims. 2 1/2-2 5/8 used to be my preferred width, but of late I am noticing how small my 2 3/4 inch brims are looking…. I wonder why that is?
My speculation: when I first started wearing hats the 2 1/2" brim seemed enormous and I preferred lower crowns with a bit of taper. But as I got more comfortable this thing on my head seems less conspicuous. So I ventured into larger brims, taller/more square crowns. So I think it is me growing into the hats and feeling more at ease.

BCTTU

New in Town
Does anyone have, or know where I can find a picture of a fedora with the back half of the brim with a pencil roll, and front brim flat? I'm trying to figure out what that would look like. While I like a good snap brim, I'm thinking of having a hat made with the brim I described.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Does anyone have, or know where I can find a picture of a fedora with the back half of the brim with a pencil roll, and front brim flat? I'm trying to figure out what that would look like. While I like a good snap brim, I'm thinking of having a hat made with the brim I described.
If you look up Northwest Hats Instagram page he has a few like that I believe.
Screenshot_20230105-112647_Instagram.jpg

Looking for a high quality stratoliner like fedora. Optimo has a new one called the Austin. Northwest hatter has the flying cloud. Anybody have either?

A lot depends on what you like. The Optimos that I’ve seen and owned all have more taper than I like and a more gently rounded top. They are also made from FEPSA felt that is different from Northwest who usually uses Winchester and some Tonak felt.

The Austin has more taper than my modern Premiere Strat for sure, but it does look a bit less tapered than the standard Optimo fedora. If an Optimo is in your budget, I doubt you'll regret it. At the same time, Northwest is very well regarded and is considerably less for 100% beaver (Winchester body).
Yes, my thought was if money is not an issue go for the Optimo. But if you are looking for value for your money Northwest makes top level hats for about 1/3 the cost of an Optimo.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yes, my thought was if money is not an issue go for the Optimo. But if you are looking for value for your money Northwest makes top level hats for about 1/3 the cost of an Optimo.

For many of us here, hats from Mike Miller, aka Northwest hats, is like the old chip commercial (as I recall), "You can't have just one"!

20211224_163257.jpg 20200323_085438.jpg

Hats from Wolfbrae @belfastboy are great hats at a great value as well.

20210419_092202.jpg

JackHammer

New in Town
Thanks so much for the input gentlemen. i was going to buy a premier stratoliner. but they discontinued them. im a 7 3/8. will prolly buy a northwest hats flying cloud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points