Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mighty44

One Too Many
I think I'm going to ask Michael to replicate Mullit's hat here:

I prefer a more narrow ribbon when I'm looking in the mirror or holding the hat in my had, but I'm 6'3" so I suppose many people won't even see my ribbon unless it's wider.
That is an excellent option!

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Felt is moldable much like unfired clay. But I would be loathe to say you could radically alter a bash after receipt. You can tweak it a bit but to radically alter it requires work and some tools....more than just a tea kettle and steam.
I'll sure second that thought regarding some of the felt. Last year I ordered a Stetson Stratoliner. It was the second one due to a size mixup and wouldn't you know it, the one that fit came with a flaw in the shape.

There is a very noticable hump across the top as if someone stuck their thumb up into the felt from inside and dragged it across the bubble diagonally while it was still wet after it was shaped at the factory.

I am just now trying to fix it myself, due to a long recovery from a back injury (haven't worn it yet). I thought it was going to be an easy steam, but no matter how I steam it and reshape that bad section, it pops right back the way it came as soon as it dries.

It's like it's forever set in its way and refuses to be reshaped.

Last edited:
I'll sure second that thought regarding some of the felt. Last year I ordered a Stetson Stratoliner. It was the second one due to a size mixup and wouldn't you know it, the one that fit came with a flaw in the shape.

There is a very noticable hump across the top as if someone stuck their thumb up into the felt from inside and dragged it across the bubble diagonally while it was still wet after it was shaped at the factory.

I am just now trying to fix it myself, due to a long recovery from a back injury (haven't worn it yet). I thought it was going to be an easy steam, but no matter how I steam it and reshape that bad section, it pops right back the way it came as soon as it dries.

It's like it's forever set in its way and refuses to be reshaped.
Yes, with factory set bashes they use heat, steam and machinery that applies lots of pressure. Hard to overcome that with just hands. Very sad that the hat escape detection at the quality control station.

unja

New in Town
Navy pinstripe you say?

In all seriousness though, do you have a budget in mind? Is it important to you to have a vintage hat, or would you wear a more modern one?

If you're ok with an off the rack hat, the Akubra Federation IV is a solid choice. Famously resilient, pretty classic styling. Probably Moonstone for Navy blue.

You might also check out the Stetson whippet in Caribou.

If hunting for a vintage hat seems fun, a relatively easy get would be the Stetson St. Regis homburg style. It was a mainstay for many decades and because they were usually embossed with the St. Regis name, that's an easy thing for a seller to list. Here's a random eBay auction pic:

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Yes, with factory set bashes they use heat, steam and machinery that applies lots of pressure. Hard to overcome that with just hands. Very sad that the hat escape detection at the quality control station.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation of the process. I just can't break through the memory in that area. Too bad for my timing that the hat had to sit for so long.

I did post a review on the Stetson site. I was not harsh, but honest. I gave it 3 stars for good looks, but couldn't give it more due to the flaw. They never posted it and never contacted me. I'm kind of disappointed about that too.

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation of the process. I just can't break through the memory in that area. Too bad for my timing that the hat had to sit for so long.

I did post a review on the Stetson site. I was not harsh, but honest. I gave it 3 stars for good looks, but couldn't give it more due to the flaw. They never posted it and never contacted me. I'm kind of disappointed about that too.
I tried to post a mediocre/critical 3 star review on the Levi website. it was 'rejected' so some reason. Only 4 stars and up allowed??

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I tried to post a mediocre/critical 3 star review on the Levi website. it was 'rejected' so some reason. Only 4 stars and up allowed??
That's what I was thinking, but I searched around and found a 1 star review on another Stratoliner (different color), so maybe it was more the comment that I don't believe the hat should have ever cleared quality control. :)

DanO

One of the Regulars
Has anyone had any dealings with a website MyHairCarePlace.com? I am trying to see if they are legit they have new Stetson hats listed at 56% off with free shipping. I know if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I just figured I'd let you know that I greatly improved my hat. It's not perfect, but much better and at least I feel like wearing it now.

I boiled water in the tea kettle and used a small sponge to wet the problem area, then I steamed it. I folded the area in question in on itself and pinched and rolled it between my fingers from the inside. Then I used a big spoon from the inside to blend and shape the area.

Rather than let it dry slowly to possibly spring back (like it did after my first attempts), I dried it quicker with a hair drier and it pretty much worked. I think it's the best its gonna get, so I won't waste any more time on it.

Last edited:
I just figured I'd let you know that I greatly improved my hat. It's not perfect, but much better and at least I feel like wearing it now.

I boiled water in the tea kettle and used a small sponge to wet the problem area, then I steamed it. I folded the area in question in on itself and pinched and rolled it between my fingers from the inside. Then I used a big spoon from the inside to blend and shape the area.

Rather than let it dry slowly to possibly spring back (like it did after my first attempts), I dried it quicker with a hair drier and it pretty much worked. I think it's the best its gonna get, so I won't waste any more time on it.
Good news! Felt is fun to work with. I liken it to unfired clay, water/steam/manipulation/patience usually will do the job.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I enjoyed the first hat I shaped (profile pic). It has thinner felt and was easy to work with. This Stetson was stubborn in comparison. Thanks for your input.

Anyone know more about this “Sizor” size adjustment feature in a Knox homburg I came across?

339D02C1-7B50-457B-A32D-AE994595663F.jpeg
3477CAFD-7D99-4599-8009-EA6C8DAA68E9.jpeg
66B8F582-C78C-4597-9D81-76344995FBE2.jpeg
4C42EDBF-9465-448D-9E35-56005FF17E9E.jpeg

I just picked up a very nice Byron hat. I was wondering who made Byron hats.

Thanks for any help.

Neal Lewis

First, pics or it didn't happen.

What kind of hat is it? There are a few mentions of Byron hats on the FL, including a newsboy from the 1920s. If you can show some detail on the hat, it could provide some clues. If the sweatband is supple enough, you may find a tag behind the sweatband with some information.

The ones I've been able to find on the interwebs seem to be mostly 60s stingy brims and some have the "Kasmir Finish" logo often found in Champ hats.

wnlewis

New in Town
Here is the hat. There was nothing under the band except for the name and address of the gentleman who had it previously. The Byron brand, according to the liner dates from 1929.

Neal Lewis

Attachments

• Hat 1 IMG_0234.jpg
    Hat 1 IMG_0234.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Hat 3 IMG_0235.jpg
    Hat 3 IMG_0235.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Hat 2 IMG_0236.jpg
    Hat 2 IMG_0236.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 48

wnlewis

New in Town
Is there a good history - book - about the hat industry?

If there isn't, it would be a good, and rather lengthy I imagine, project to write a really good history of the hat industry.

The hat industry reminds me a whole lot of the agricultural machinery industry, companies coming together, going their separate ways again, having joint ventures and spin offs. Some just vanishing.

Is there a good history - book - about the hat industry?

If there isn't, it would be a good, and rather lengthy I imagine, project to write a really good history of the hat industry.

The hat industry reminds me a whole lot of the agricultural machinery industry, companies coming together, going their separate ways again, having joint ventures and spin offs. Some just vanishing.

Short answer: nothing comprehensive. This site likely has more info in one place than any other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko