Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

3fingers

One Too Many
A little past the Golden Era, but auto racing legend Dan Gurney has died at the age of 86.
Nobody has been as successful in so many racing disciplines as he was.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Paul Bocuse.....world famous French chef, 3 stars in the Michelin guide, died today aged 91. The angels will be eating well tonight. ;)
portrait-paul-bocuse.png

Dorothy Malone, "Peyton Place" Star and Oscar Winner, Dies at 92

Before she dyed her hair blonde she was in the Big Sleep. She played the book store clerk that Bogie dealt with when he was staking out Geiger's place....

Had she done nothing else in her acting career than the bookstore scene, she would have done way more than most.

Possibly the singularly best pick-up scene ever - with a very not-code-appropriate uncertainty as to who picked up whom. Malone's look when she pulls down the shade and then again when she takes off her glasses and unpins her hair could loosen rusty bolts.

Obviously, there was much, much more to her life - but this scene ain't a bad epitaph:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Had she done nothing else in her acting career than the bookstore scene, she would have done way more than most.

Possibly the singularly best pick-up scene ever - with a very not-code-appropriate uncertainty as to who picked up whom. Malone's look when she pulls down the shade and then again when she takes off her glasses and unpins her hair could loosen rusty bolts.

Obviously, there was much, much more to her life - but this scene ain't a bad epitaph:

So true. There was another scene in the movie with a not very code appropriate pick up. When Bogie jumps in the cab and tells the female cab driver that its a tail job and she replies "well I'm your girl" and they banter back an forth and at the end she gives him her phone number and tells him that if she can ever be of assistance again, to call her. Bogie says "day or night?" and she responds "night's would be better, I work during the day".

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Oh, no! She was literally my favorite contemporary author. The world is a lesser place without another Le Guin book to look forward to.

The Earthsea books, The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, The Word for World is Forest, The Lathe of Heaven, and so many other wonderfully written and intellectually adventurous "thought experiments"... With her abiding interests in anthropology and sociology (which came from her parents, experts in those fields) and her overriding themes of what it means to be human and how to live a balanced life - and with her magnificent imagination and beautifully hewn prose - she journeyed past the conventions of science fiction to create literature.

If you don't already know it, do yourself a favor and take a half-hour to read perhaps her greatest short-short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas":

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Oh, no! She was literally my favorite contemporary author. The world is a lesser place without another Le Guin book to look forward to.

The Earthsea books, The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, The Word for World is Forest, The Lathe of Heaven, and so many other wonderfully written and intellectually adventurous "thought experiments"... With her abiding interests in anthropology and sociology (which came from her parents, experts in those fields) and her overriding themes of what it means to be human and how to live a balanced life - and with her magnificent imagination and beautifully hewn prose - she journeyed past the conventions of science fiction to create literature.

If you don't already know it, do yourself a favor and take a half-hour to read perhaps her greatest short-short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas":

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

Couldn't agree more. She along with Samuel R. Delaney epitomized the "Silver Age" of Sci Fi writing for me. I loved her work. I had no idea of her age. To me she seemed.... ageless, timeless.... Sigh. Well she on an even greater adventure now.

Worf

Just Jim

A-List Customer
More than a "one hit wonder" world wide. Hugh Masekela of "Grazin' in the Grass" fame died today. Never has a cowbell driven a song so skillfully!

Worf
I sort of remember the first time I heard this (it wasn't a real common song on the country stations my folks listened to). My dad and I were headed east, towards St. Louis maybe. Dad was channel-swapping trying to find something to listen to, and this came up. Spring of 1970 I think. . . . I've always liked it, and over the years accumulated several of Mr. Masekela's albums.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Noted cartoonist Mort Walker, creator Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois, has died at the age of 94. The former has been in the funny papers since 1950, and the latter since 1954.

Walker was a member of a generation with no heroic illusions whatever about the military, having served in Italy during and after WWII. One of his duties was supervising the destruction and disposal of surplus property from a US military warehouse, with his specific job being to ensure no one stole any of the surplus items before they could be destroyed. It was then he realized, in his words, "Army humor writes itself."

"Beetle" has always been sort of a weird time capsule of the post-WWII pre-Vietnam "brown shoe Army," and some have suggested that in fact Camp Swampy is actually some sort of alternate universe military purgatory where nothing ever happens, nobody ever advances, and nothing is ever accomplished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner