Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help Picking 1950's US Comedy Film

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I am teaching a film appreciation class next term and we are looking at the history of American comedy decade by decade.

What one or two films would you recommend for the 1950's? I am looking for films that represent what Americans may have regarded as funny at that time.

Thanks for your help.

Repairman Joe

New in Town
Francis the Talking Mule!!! Upon researching them,I discovered that ALL the Francis movies came out in the 50's and are currently available on DVD!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
This movie makes me laugh out loud: "The Long, Long Trailer" 1953, starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz; directed by Vincent Minnelli. Their characters, honeymooners "Nicky and Tracy," were pretty much the same as their "I Love Lucy" characters, but it's filmed in great locations in CA (Yosemite, Redrock), not NY, and trailer parks were the exciting way to live or vacation. It's in color and the humor stands the test of time.

Oh! And the clothes and the cars!!

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
"Monkey Business", "Operation Petticoat" - both with Cary Grant.

If you were interested in a Comedy - Drama, though, one of my absolute favorite movies of all time is Mr. Roberts. All Star cast: Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemon, a personal favorite- Ward Bond and towards the end of his career William Powell. (Plus the whole John Ford travelling cast/family). There are some dramatic moments, but there are some moments of pure hilarity.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
You can't go wrong with…

Born Yesterday (1950)
Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
It Should Happen to You (1954)
My Sister Eileen (1955)
The Seven Year Itch (1955)
The Girl Can't Help It (1956)
The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956)
Hollywood or Bust (1956)
Some Like It Hot (1959)

I've not included Martin & Lewis or Abbott & Costello, because I'm not a big fan.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
COMEDY-COMEDY, or unintentionally comic?

-"the blob" or "it conquered the earth" or any of the "better" sci-fi or monster movies would fit the bill in the latter category.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Another vote for Some Like It Hot.

[video=youtube;yZymBti7700]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZymBti7700&feature=related[/video]

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Definitely Some Like it Hot.

Also, Danny Kaye's The Court Jester is a classic, especially the vessel with the pestle/challice from the palace/flagon with the dragon bit.

Take a look at Bob Hope's Son of Paleface too - a lot of great sight gags, and Roy Rogers co-stars and plays it staight.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
What I like about looking at films like this is seeing the connections between decades. SLiH was one of those films of the late 50s that set the pace for the 60s-screwball comedies. SLiH would be my choice for the late 50s.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Some Like It Hot is so beloved that it's hard to argue with, but Billy Wilder's other great comedy from the decade also deserves mention: Sabrina (and being set in the present, it's "more fifties").

Father of the Bride (and its sequel, Father's Little Dividend) might be good choices, being set in an "average" early fifties household. And it's hard to argue with Spencer Tracy... or 20-year-old Elizabeth Taylor!

Personally, I would show The Court Jester. It's downright hilarious, and Danny Kaye is shockingly unknown to younger generations.

There's a list of fifties comedies I Googled up here: http://www.filmsandtv.com/genre.php?gs=1950Comedy

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thank you. Some Like it Hot was definitely on the list for late-50's because it did set the stage for the 1960's.

The Long, Long Trailer is an interesting choice because of the influence of TV.

I am having a hard time with early to mid-50's.

A&C - though still big in the 50's - to me are representative of the 1940's.

Martin and Lewis may better reflect the fight against the status quo often associated with the period.

Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
"How to Marry a Millionaire" 1953

The movie gives a lot of early 50's fashion visuals as well as the stereotype of single girls looking for Mr Right, specifically Mr Wealthy-Socially Acceptable Right. Everything else in their single-girl culture was secondary to making the right match, note the right apartment in the right neighborhood but with no furniture nor a nickel for food and yet the evening gowns were top notch, lol. (Only in the movies) You also have the contrast of what the girl was taught to want vs what she actually chose. Plus, you have 40's icons like Betty Grable and Lauren Bacall bridging the gap into the 50's Monroe territory.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Some of Doris Day's early romantic comedies are worth considering, too:

The Pajama Game (1957)
Teacher's Pet (1958)
Pillow Talk (1959)

Talbot

One Too Many
Desk Set (1957) with Tracy and Hepburn and Joan Blondell. A witty look into fifties office life and the rise of technology -- and proof that not all Ike-era women were chained to the kitchen sink.

+1 with lizzie. "Well, there was a kid in the back seat with a l ollypop, and there was kid in the front seat with a l ollypop ...." Love that scene.

Can I suggest 'We're No Angels'? Where else will you see Humphrey Bogart do comedy, and do it so well. A very funny film.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy