Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negan's Jacket

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You know you are a jacket junkie when you are watching a television show about the zombie apocalypse (Walking Dead), and your attention is myopically focused on the new villain's jacket:

the-walking-dead-negan-ddeba11eb821792d.jpg

Any guesses as to the precise make/model/manufacturer?

Guaranteed to garner a following on filmjackets.com -- may even generate broader interest.

Until we identify the precise make/model, it shall be referred to as the "J-Negan".

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me these big YKK looking zippers used on the chest and handwarmer pockets just scream of mall jacket.
Looks like the average leather jacket you see in H&M, GAP or Top Shop.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Our feelings for many things, especially clothing, are affected by the circumstances under which we are confronted with them. In this case, JD Morgan is a great actor, it's very likely his performance in TWD will impress many people and consequently generate much interest in his outfit/this jacket. TWD has a large fanbase after all.

I haven't seen TWD and cannot judge the quality of the jacket from one picture alone, but even if it is low quality, high quality repros are very likely to follow. These TV shows usually have their clothing designed and delivered from mid quality fashion brands such as Boss (who did all the clothing for Fargo Season 1) and alike.

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn't necessarily assume it's low end just because it has chunky zippers. It's obviously a bike jacket of some variety; most bike jackets, good and bad, gained chunkier zips from the early 70s onwards. It's often comicial looking and doesn't suit every style of jacket, but it's no indicator of a poorly made jacket.

I'd guess it's at least possible that this design has no specific historical predecessor. As he appears in the original source material, Neegan is drawn as wearing this variant on the Perfecto-type:

negan-the-walking-dead_612x380.jpg

It may well be that these unusual details are naught more than the whim of the artist who firstbrought him to life, later copied for the TV show 'in teh realz'. Of course, it could also be the case that the artist had encountered an unusual jacket that he chose to draw Negan in (some may remember that Rufus Dayglo, formerly of this parish, gifted Tank Girl a pair of Lewis Westway boots, based on his own that he purchased from Derek at LL around that time). Assuming Negan is going to be the long-running big bad in the same manner as he is in the comic book, I would assume there will be a fair few of those jackets already run up in the actor's size. It's interestin g that they've gone to the length of putting him in a jacket exactly like he wears in the comic book, rather than just gonig to eaiser route of sticking him in a Perfecto type (of which they could buy a dozen very easily). Must be a joy to work wardrobe on a show with that sort of budget!

It'll be interesting to see if a 'real' J-Negan is discovered. I must have another flip through the Rin Tanaka book, just in case...

Interesting to get a glimpse of Negan (I don't do subscription television other than Netflix, so I'm still waiting for the season 6 box set, well behind on the show, if not the comic book!). I was disappointed when the rumour that Bruce Campbell had been cast in the role turned out not to be true, but this guy looks great.

Edward

Bartender
Thought that might be the case.... so we'd probably need to ask the artist whether it was based on a real jacket, or just imagined....

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thought that might be the case.... so we'd probably need to ask the artist whether it was based on a real jacket, or just imagined....

I just looked through my comic books and just like in the picture you posted Negan is actually shown wearing a women's jacket (crossing right over left to close)
If the people doing the artwork didn't know a man's jacket closed the other way around i doubt they bothered to make much research about a leather jacket authentic design.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Clearly ordered by the producers to match the comic book jacket and fit Morgan like a glove. Could have been made by anyone who works with leather. Perhaps a TNO type company.

Interesting comment Carlos regarding the direction of the zipper.

Funny, but this is exactly how many artists draw the Perfecto styled jacket, if they hadn't examined it much. Four slanted pockets on both sides. Oddly so, the coin pocket often gets ignored.

For what it's worth, however, I've seen and tried a very similar if not identical jacket in one of the more recent HD jacket lines.

Edward

Bartender
Carlos: nice spot. I had forgotten that; you're probably right. Course, Negan is the sort as would probably wear a woman's jacket just to provoke a fight...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You're right it's diverting. I don't really watch many of these shows after a couple of seasons. By then I've seen enough. Dexter season one was good. Didn't much enjoy what came after. Breaking Bad was very smart writing indeed but two seasons was enough of that material. I think Deadwood was the only show I got right through and thank God it was only three seasons.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've enjoyed TWD up until now - if I recall the second or third season was pretty poor, but it really picks up. It stops being about zombies, more about the living threats to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda