Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos to drool over...70th Anniversary: Rare Edward VIII memorabilia.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Circumstances are forcing me to part with some of my dandy Edward VIII (the King who gave up his Royal throne for love) original collection. These are the 'real deal.'

I have a rare Coronation medal (70-years-old) with his head on it and the date (12th May 1937)of the coronation (that never took place!).
Also a fine 1920's medal with the motto: "FOR GOD-KING-AND EMPIRE" on one side with a sun shining over the Empire (there was an old phrase..."The sun never sets over the British Empire', and on the other the raised head of Prince Edward (Duke of Windsor) with the words: OUR EMPIRE PRINCE - 24 MAY 1927 (80-years-old!).

Also: "TO COMMEMORATE THE CORONATION OF KING EDWARD VIII AT WESTMINSTER ABBEY"

I have seen such collectibles being used as chain fobs/medallions at the end of a stylish vintage pocket watch chain, and they really look the 'bees knees!'

Of course this never happened due to the shock announcement that this FASHION LEADER of his times and popular Prince would abdicate his throne and Kingship for the love of the American woman, Wallace Simpson, so the medal was never officially issued/just like the postage stamps of the time(something for which the British public and the world were taken by surprise over! How could their God chosen King give it all up? and for an American woman to boot!! the things men do for love ).

The other little gem (that I'm humming and haa'ing over parting with) is a book packed with photos of the 'trend setting and dandy dressed Prince' from the 1920's with a signed letter from him tacked into the inside cover. It's in great condition (the dust cover has taken the main beating) and has wonderful photos of him in safari gear, golfing wear, about town wear, uniforms...etc.

PHOTOS to follow in a day or so, as these have been packed carefully away.

th_EdwardVIIIphotos041.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EdwardVIIIphotos041.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos039.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos038.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos037.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos035.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos034.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos033.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos032.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos026.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
More photos of the dashing young Prince of Wales...

I just love these pics and these are just a small selection in the book, which is just gorgeous!!

EdwardVIIIphotos021.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos020.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos018.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos016.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos014.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos013.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos012.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos011.jpg

EdwardVIIIphotos010.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Scot. the cigar pic grabbed my attention too!

He was such a cool guy when it came to 'style.' This book when you open the pages is a great 'style' reference book for that era of the early 20's, but when you look at The Prince, well..he looks like he's a decade ahead of everyone else in many ways!! It really is a time capsule between the pages!!
Plus...a great ad for cigars!!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
Circumstances are forcing me to part with some of my dandy Edward VIII (the King who gave up his Royal throne for love) original collection. These are the 'real deal.'

EdwardVIIIphotos041.jpg

Now if you had that reverse taper homburg...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
hep cat

Sonny Greer, drummer of Duke Ellington's orchestra, recalled that when the band visited England in 1933 an audience was arranged for some of the Royals. The Duke of Kent requested Swampy River, an Ellington piano specialty, and the P of W apparently sat in respectably on the drums.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Dook

Yeah, well, he was still a shmuck. He never wanted to be king and used "love" as a convenient excuse. Now if you want a REAL Duke of Windsor collectable, the 1936 McLaughin Buick (Canadian built) limo that he drove himself in when he went to the BBC studios to do his abdication speech was up for auction a couple years ago. It went for a few hundred grand. Nice ride.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A few offers were made...

I then decided to keep the book for a while as it's such a fantastic reference book for the styles of its time and I catalogued it.

But, now that I've got from it what I wanted (style wise for reference), this unique book of the Prince of Wales is up for grabs again :eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
GONE.

I decided to 'gift' the book, as I knew one of the Loungers who would really appreciate the styles and cherish this little piece of 'golden era' history. I loved this book, but it was time for others to gain pleasure from it :D

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Since I mentioned something about my 'home' town (the one horse dorp a came from and avoid returning to if I can help it) on another thread... One of the few things Edward VIIIth did while he was king was sign the Charter so that Scunthorpe became a borough...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner