Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are your Role Models?

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Of Course my father is my true role model and taught me how to be the man I am today

Of Of Course my father is my true role model and taught me how to the man I am today. But, i can't help but feel myself swell with pride for all the men and women who fought for Ireland's freedom.

Marla

A-List Customer
Would it be terrible to say Gracie Allen?:)
After listening to Burns & Allen on Old Time Radio I've inadvertantly started adopting Gracie-isms into my speech.

LordBest

Practically Family
Gavin Stamp, one of the original Young Fogeys and a superb writer who "writes books on architecture few people ever read".
His book "Britain's Lost Cities" illustrates the destruction of much of Britains architectural heritage in the decades following the Second World War. It makes you want to murder the people responsible for the destruction of so much beauty (the main culprits were not the Luftwaffe, as is popularly believed).
Saint___Stamp_ready.jpg

Stamp is the one in the suit.

Edward

Bartender
Young Mister Stamp appears to have misplaced his hat! The Sixties certainly did commit many sins against tasteful architecture.

Edward

Bartender
Big Baby Macoy said:
But, i can't help but feel myself swell with pride for all the men and women who fought for Ireland's freedom.

I know an awful lot of places where you couldn't say that and get out alive.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Context is Everything....well, location counts for something, as well....

Edward said:
I know an awful lot of places where you couldn't say that and get out alive.

Ah, Edward: but you are an Irishman living in London...and we (presumably) are both Irish-Americans living in Boston...without in any way getting into the argument of what BBMcC's comment actually means, in real terms--which would be pretty pointless: Gallowglasses; Hill-boys; pikemen; Fenians; dynamiters; IRB, Sinn Fein, Maoists; take your pick!--I can assure you: we know plenty of places where you couldn't say THAT, and get out alive....:eek:

"Skeet"

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Oh I've got some punk icons too but I don't know if I'd admit to them being my role models on the Fedora Lounge! lol

Wendy_Williams.jpg

"In January 1981, police in Milwaukee arrested her for simulating sex on stage... Later that same year in Cleveland, Ohio, Williams was acquitted of an obscenity charge for simulating sex on stage wearing only shaving cream."
In 1989 she parachuted out of a plane naked for Playboy

But maybe Eve Libertine

593L.jpg

Edward

Bartender
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Ah, Edward: but you are an Irishman living in London...and we (presumably) are both Irish-Americans living in Boston...without in any way getting into the argument of what BBMcC's comment actually means, in real terms--which would be pretty pointless: Gallowglasses; Hill-boys; pikemen; Fenians; dynamiters; IRB, Sinn Fein, Maoists; take your pick!--I can assure you: we know plenty of places where you couldn't say THAT, and get out alive....:eek: [/QUOTE]

I was referring to Ireland, actually. Beyond that.... not a conversation I think appropriat for the Lounge.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
get_atomized said:
Oh I've got some punk icons too but I don't know if I'd admit to them being my role models on the Fedora Lounge! lol

Surprisingly, it didn't take that long to find a picture of Joe in a Fedora....I guess he had a few!

Antje

One Too Many
I don't actually know, I never taught of it.
I get inspired by old pictures and movies and such but a role model I don't know,
maybe rosie the riveter is a strong one

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
jlee562 said:
Surprisingly, it didn't take that long to find a picture of Joe in a Fedora....I guess he had a few!

In contrast, it took me a while to find a picture of Wendy O with all the important bits covered up!

Edward

Bartender
get_atomized said:
In contrast, it took me a while to find a picture of Wendy O with all the important bits covered up!

lol Doesn't surprise me.... Poor girl, such a shame she ended up in a place where that was the only way out she could see.

As to Joe Strummer's hats.... going by the photos I've seen from the era, not only Joe but also Mick (Jones) and Topper (Headon, the Clash's second, and most famous, drummer) sported 50s-style, 2" or so brimmed fedoras on a regular basis. I think there might be one very rare shot of Paul (Simonon, bass) with a hat on, but then he did have that great quiff.... These days the quiff (or specifically the necessary hair to make it ;) ) is long gone, and in recent photos he seems to wear a newsboy a lot.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Paul Simonon wears a lot of Fedoras....I've seen more pictures of him with fedoras than the other members actually. Although all of them seemed to have been caught sporting a hat at various points in their career...later Joe turned more to cowboy hats.

When I met Paul in 2007 he was wearing this:
l_25222c6f85042104f8ecd6530c287341.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo