Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who are your Role Models?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I think you need to know a lot about somebody, before you can actually claim that he or she is your "rolemodel"
That - to me - leaves out Hollywood, sportstars (Who wants Tiger Woods now?), musicians, historical persons, politicians etc. I just don't know them well enough. And when you really gets to know them - they are just humans after all.

People you know then? My father? - (OMG) Trying hard NOT to be like him!:D

But there are some persons from my profession, that I might - just might - call "Rolemodels" - people I have either worked with during my 30+ years in advetising - or whos work I admire.
Bill Bernbach is one of them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think it's possible to consider someone a role model in one part of your life without necessarily embracing that person's behavior in other aspects of life. I think that's an important distinction between how an adult views a role-model and juvenile hero-worship.

For example, one might admire Hemingway's integrity as a writer, but if one takes that admiration to the point of getting into drunken brawls to be "more like their role model," I think most people would consider them an idiot. Same with admiring any other historical/celebrity figure -- the reasonable person knows how to keep a reasonable perspective.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I think it's possible to consider someone a role model in one part of your life without necessarily embracing that person's behavior in other aspects of life. I think that's an important distinction between how an adult views a role-model and juvenile hero-worship...

Best comment in this thread thus far.

Edward

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
I think it's possible to consider someone a role model in one part of your life without necessarily embracing that person's behavior in other aspects of life. I think that's an important distinction between how an adult views a role-model and juvenile hero-worship.

For example, one might admire Hemingway's integrity as a writer, but if one takes that admiration to the point of getting into drunken brawls to be "more like their role model," I think most people would consider them an idiot. Same with admiring any other historical/celebrity figure -- the reasonable person knows how to keep a reasonable perspective.

Bravo! :eusa_clap

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:

To do the opposite speaks to a mental, emotion or psychological disturbance. Take what is useful and leave the rest; it is just common sense.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
I think you need to know a lot about somebody, before you can actually claim that he or she is your "rolemodel"
That - to me - leaves out Hollywood, sportstars (Who wants Tiger Woods now?), musicians, historical persons, politicians etc. I just don't know them well enough. And when you really gets to know them - they are just humans after all.

Yes, I admire people more for their character than their work, although people of good character generally produce good work. That doesn't necessarily go the other way. Musicians in particular might produce glorious work while leading lives that I, for one, cannot say I admire.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
Musicians in particular might produce glorious work while leading lives that I, for one, cannot say I admire.

Paisley said:
Just so we're clear, I wasn't talking about every musician who has ever lived.

Thank you for qualifying your statement. I was just on the phone telling all my musician friends they were no good. Now I have to call them all back and tell them they are ok.:eusa_doh:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Paisley said:
Yes, I admire people more for their character than their work, although people of good character generally produce good work.

Character is the number one thing for a role model as every other behavior does not exist in a vacuum. Character bleeds through to every facet of a person's life. I am reminded of Charles Barclay's comment that he is not a role model and do not use him or any other sports figure as such. Probably one of the best things he has ever said.;) :p

mrfish

New in Town
vintage68 said:
Sir Richard Burton. He lived one heck of an adventurous life: "Do what thy manhood bids thee do, from none but self expect applause".

225px-RichardFrancisBurton.jpg

This from Wikipedia:

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton KCMG FRGS (19 March 1821 – 20 October 1890) was an English explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, ethnologist, linguist, poet, hypnotist, fencer and diplomat. He was known for his travels and explorations within Asia and Africa as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke 29 European, Asian, and African languages

Wonderful choice. Translator of the kama sutra, too. That alone must've been a real adventure in the England of his times.

mrfish

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
You are ever so right LizzieMaine - guesse it all boils down to the definitaion of a "rolemodel".

Some have rolemodels for a period of their life - just like you can have "rolemodels" for different parts of your life:
I want my marriage to be like...,
I want to bring up my kid just like...
or I want my work to be just as good as...

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Without a doubt, David Suchet's portrayal of Hercule Poirot is my role model. He is a man in his time but not really of his time. He rises above the muck around him and thinks clearing, "with the little grey cells," to solve murder. He can be kind and saintly, yet give stinging rebuke when needed.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
7. Porfirio Rubirosa – Rubi. Famous diplomat from the Dominican Republic. Most who have lived within the international circles of Latin America will have heard of Rubi. I’m not sure when, as a child, I learned about him, probably on a trip to Latin America, or from my dad. I heard more about him years later when I went to the Dominican Republic on a 2-week military exchange program.

Rubi is best known as the world's greatest womanizer for marrying the likes of poor little rich girls like Doris Duke and Barbara Hutton. Also famous for giving Zsa Zsa Gabor a much deserved black-eye. He died like all playboys should; wrapped his Ferrari around a tree on a Parisian boulevard in an eerily similar fashion as his best friend and fellow playboy Aly Khan. Now for the more relevant aspects of his life...

Rubi represents to me unwavering loyalty (to Rafael Trujillo), though his loyalty to Trujillo was considered unwise by many. Nevertheless, loyalty is loyalty. Rubi also provided intelligence to the Allies during WW2 as a resident of Vichy France; however he was later transported to Baden-Baden to live with other diplomats being confined there by the Third Reich. After a skillful exit/escape from Baden-Baden and an illegal return to France, he was wounded by Nazi collaborators who were in flight of the Allies’ advance. Shot in the buttocks. Rubi was also investigated by the FBI for the assassination of a Trujillo “dissident” in NYC, similar to the hit put on Orlando Letelier decades later by DINA (Chile) in Washington, DC. I would simply classify both hits as good counter-insurgency work done on foreign soil. He was rumored to be a jewel thief as well. The Hitchcock movie To Catch a Thief starring Cary Grant and Grace Kelly was rumored to have been inspired by Rubi’s exploits in Europe.

Isn't there a story that Rubi and Sammy Davis Jr. were partying all night, and when Sammy Davis awoke out of his drunken stupor Rubi was standing at the bar mixing a drink and Sammy asked how he did it, and Rubi replied something to the effect that it was his job to be a playboy? lol

GreyBadger

New in Town
A man called The Baron Hans von Blixen Finecke. Olympic rider, who trained my riding instructor. The way horses willingly go when trained with his methods is amazing.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
Isn't there a story that Rubi and Sammy Davis Jr. were partying all night, and when Sammy Davis awoke out of his drunken stupor Rubi was standing at the bar mixing a drink and Sammy asked how he did it, and Rubi replied something to the effect that it was his job to be a playboy? lol

I think Rubi's answer was "I learned to pace myself". There is a book out about him, as of a few years ago, by Shawn Levy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo