Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mhphoto

New in Town
Great thread!

I got a Stetson Carson for Christmas off of ebay. It's the acorn colored model with the #40 profile, and I'm thinking I want to re-form it to the #62 profile like the other line of Carsons. I love the acorn color but would rather have the more western looking crown. Here's an example I found on ebay that gave me the idea:

0df66f06.jpg

I'd love any advice on where to start when looking for someone to do this, or even if it can be done. Is it something that I could have someone at, say, Cavander's do, or am I looking at sending it off to someone with the specific mold for the #62 crown?

Thanks!

blueoakleyz

New in Town
Btw I should say I really like your blog! Thanks for the link

Though I didn't really see any links for stores..

Not trying to be rude to the moderator but look at it from my point of view.. I posted two topics I was really excited about and they were stuffed somewhere that moves quicker than light to a new topic.. I would NEVER check this thread let alone daily so I'd never see a persons questions. Sorry I'm just not fond of forums that are so into organization or "search for everything, discuss nothing" that a person can never get answers tailored to their specific needs.. Hats aren't cheap..

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Btw I should say I really like your blog! Thanks for the link

Though I didn't really see any links for stores..

Not trying to be rude to the moderator but look at it from my point of view.. I posted two topics I was really excited about and they were stuffed somewhere that moves quicker than light to a new topic.. I would NEVER check this thread let alone daily so I'd never see a persons questions. Sorry I'm just not fond of forums that are so into organization or "search for everything, discuss nothing" that a person can never get answers tailored to their specific needs.. Hats aren't cheap..

Then you should start checking this thread. Questions get answered.

As far as your hat store question, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you have the internet at your disposal. Use it. Google IS your friend. Moreover, RBH gave you the link to the "To all Newbies!" thread, which, had you clicked on it, you might have discovered the top threads, including a link to one which is exclusively dedicated to...wait for it...hat stores:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31181-Hat-Stores-a-list

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Great thread!

I got a Stetson Carson for Christmas off of ebay. It's the acorn colored model with the #40 profile, and I'm thinking I want to re-form it to the #62 profile like the other line of Carsons. I love the acorn color but would rather have the more western looking crown. Here's an example I found on ebay that gave me the idea:

I'd love any advice on where to start when looking for someone to do this, or even if it can be done. Is it something that I could have someone at, say, Cavander's do, or am I looking at sending it off to someone with the specific mold for the #62 crown?

Thanks!

Modern Stetsons are blocked (formed) into their shape. It's possible to reshape them, but you might need to have the hat re-blocked into an open crown. Alternatively, steam might also help you get the job done by yourself. The crease you posted is known as a cattlemen's crease. I suspect Cavenders might not have the right tools for the job, but I'd imagine you can find a hat store in your area which could tackle it.

blueoakleyz

New in Town
Then you should start checking this thread. Questions get answered.

As far as your hat store question, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you have the internet at your disposal. Use it. Google IS your friend. Moreover, RBH gave you the link to the "To all Newbies!" thread, which, had you clicked on it, you might have discovered the top threads, including a link to one which is exclusively dedicated to...wait for it...hat stores:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31181-Hat-Stores-a-list

Google can't answer specific questions that pertain to me though. That's what I don't understand, I see "Search for it!" "google it!" so much it makes me wonder, are people are allergic to good ol' fashion conversation? Maybe that's it, I'm just old fashioned.. I like to talk to real people about this stuff..

And yeah, questions get answered... once.. then people move on to the next one.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You've been here for three years and you're asking questions that get asked and answered nearly every day. Why not read a few threads, instead of popping in once every few months and asking another inane question like "where can I find a good Panama?" This is a place for quick, and often frequently asked questions, almost none of which ever merit any real discussion because they're either so basic that anyone would pick up the info. from five minutes here, or have been discussed to death in other threads which are easy enough to find - with google.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What Lefty said.

Look Blue, I don't mean to sound harsh, but "where can I find a hat under $200?" and "what size should I order my Akubra in?" are two VERY common questions and the entire purpose of this thread, is to avoid the clutter of having every Tom, Dick, and Harry asking the same question. If you have "specific question," that pertains to you, I haven't seen it.

Folks here aren't averse to conversation (see, for example: "Fedoras Afield," "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" threads, but we do get tired of answering questions which people could easily answer on their own with 5-10mins on here.

Last edited:

blueoakleyz

New in Town
Then by all means don't answer the question. It's not like someone is putting a gun to your head. And this is a virtual place, it's not like a real room with each thread representing a box... there is not going to be clutter..

I fail to see how asking what size I should get isn't specific to me.. since no one else has my head ;)

Sorry I don't mean to argue about this. Just frustrated. I see this same kind of thing at so many forums it makes me wonder why people even have forums.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Okay 3 years ago I got a Fed IV in size 60. It was too big for my head. And it kinda looked a little big, or should I say that it fell below the normal point on my head where I'd wear it... so I added sizing tape (all of it pretty much) and then it fit well.

Recently I've been messing with it and soaked it wet and it shrunk so now I took the sizing tape out and it fits pretty snug. If that gives you any clue.

Anyway as far as actual sizing, if I use a measuring tape and wrap it around the biggest circumference part of my head (around my forehead and the bump in the back of my head) it measures between a 58.5 and a 59 (59 without any tension and 58.5 with slight tension).

so I'm stumped

Here's a few threads that deal specifically with Akubra hats:

Akubra Camp Draft
Akubra Overload
I Love the Fed IV
The Akubra Squatter
The Akubra Rap
Akubra Colors

Start at page 1 and read every post. By doing so, you will encounter MANY instances of folks commenting about the sizing of Akubra's hats in general, and certain models specifically. The general consensus is that you should buy an Akubra one size larger than your true size, as it will shrink. The exception is the Camp Draft - it already runs about a half size to the large side, so most folks get it in their true size. But some don't. Like me. I prefer my hats to be a little on the loose side so I can tailor the fit to my head with sizing felt. But that's my personal preference.

You will also see lots of pics of various Akubra styles showing numerous creases of various colors.

If you do an advanced, single content-type search of "Akubra" on this site, you will find a boat load of info!

Folks aren't upset that you're asking questions that have been asked before. They're frustrated because you don't appear to want to do your due diligence.

Try to help yourself first.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Then by all means don't answer the question. It's not like someone is putting a gun to your head. And this is a virtual place, it's not like a real room with each thread representing a box... there is not going to be clutter..

You complain that nobody answers your question (when in fact, they did), and then when I answer it, you complain about my answer.

Great.

I'm not a Mod/Bartender here, I simply play by rules. This thread has been established to ask and answer questions, and it works quite well. I've had several questions answered in this thread, and now you have too. If this forum is not to your liking, nobody is putting a gun to your head to stick around.

I fail to see how asking what size I should get isn't specific to me.. since no one else has my head ;)

Sizing questions regarding Akubra hats and the shrinkage factor therein are common. It matters not if you are in between size 55 and 56 or 62 and 63. The Akubra is going to shrink all the same. Again, this is a common question which is easily answered by simply reading the threads around here.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. As a child, I watched a Scooby Doo spinoff called A Pup Named Scooby Doo. That villain in my avatar is Al Kabone. That is not a typo. lol
For some reason my memory of the show was randomly triggered (partly the ADHD, I bet), and I thought "THAT would make a fun avatar!"

"Blah, see, blah!" -Al Kabone

Last edited:

ﮎ¡D

New in Town
Gangster hat prohibition

Hi all,

I'd like to buy a hat like those you can see in gangsters movies during the prohibition. I'd like to know more about these hats before choosing one and that's why I'm asking you to tell me more on them. Apparently here there's a lot of experts like I could see in some other threads.

I know that there's a lot of types : Fedora, The Chicago ...
several brands : Borsalino, Stetson, Optimo

I'd like you to tell me which are the best brands, the drawbacks and advantages of each... which hats are the most confortable, the most elegants ...
Could you tell me some sites where I can find hats like these ?

Here are some pics so you can see what kind of hats I'm targeting:

Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire with ?

esq-boardwalk-empire-al-capone-hat-112210-xlg.jpg

Di Caprio in Shutter Island

19202840.jpg

Chrisitian Bale in Public Enemies with ?

public-enemies-christian-bale1.jpg

Last edited:

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
+1

Like you said - this is the place for info on fedoras. I've been buzzing around here every day for a few months and have just scratched the surface! A page or so back in this thread I listed links for a number of hatters. Check them out. Prices range from under $100 to over $1000. My advice - find a cheap hat to wear while you research the hats you want to eventually end up wearing. Buy felt - not wool. A felt hat can be reshaped with water and/or steam. This will let you experiment with different bashes, and you don't have to worry about ruining a good hat.

This advice worked for me, and I gladly pass it on to you.;)

And WELCOME!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy