Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I'm giving up and am going to ask a rookie question. What do the acronyms NAB, WAB, and WAR stand for? I think I worked out that the W and the WN are wide and narrow, and the B and R are brim and ribbon, but I'm not sure. Someone wanna clear this up for me?

Where are you seeing these acronyms? I don't remember ever running across them in regards to hats.

Brad

T Rick

Practically Family
Ok, I'm giving up and am going to ask a rookie question. What do the acronyms NAB, WAB, and WAR stand for? I think I worked out that the W and the WN are wide and narrow, and the B and R are brim and ribbon, but I'm not sure. Someone wanna clear this up for me?

You've got the wide/narrow down. The R is ribbon. I suspect the B is brim (haven't seen that one myself). The A? You'll figure that one out (saw a pic a few posts up...).

scooter

Practically Family
Yeah Brad, if you look carefully on the "hat you're wearing today" thread, you'll catch the acronyms occasionally. Should guessed the A! Kind of like a SWAG, scientific wild a$$ guess! Just couldn't convince myself that was it. Thanks!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the explanation. Due to time constraints, that's one thread I haven't read in probably a year or more. I thought maybe you were seeing these acronyms on eBay, but they're just FLoungisms.

Brad

Bogey

New in Town
I hope this question isn't out of line.
I'm looking for a crushable tan just about any style fedora, beat up, broken in, and well worn. Here's the challenge: size 7 7/8 +
Any help in locating would be great. Not looking for Indiana Jones style though. Thanks.

scooter

Practically Family
Ok, if one wants to slightly enlarge and elongate a hat, should I apply some steam to the exterior felt while it is on a stretcher? Will this help it take and keep this new form?

Ok, if one wants to slightly enlarge and elongate a hat, should I apply some steam to the exterior felt while it is on a stretcher? Will this help it take and keep this new form?

When using a stretcher to enlarge & elongate, always steam the exterior felt around the sweatband area. If you are just using the stretcher to ward off shrinking of the sweatband then no steam is needed. JMHO

buler

I'll Lock Up
When using a stretcher to enlarge & elongate, always steam the exterior felt around the sweatband area. If you are just using the stretcher to ward off shrinking of the sweatband then no steam is needed. JMHO

One more thing with those vintage stretchers, some of them are straight sided and some have a tapered side. The straight ones can leave a "line" around the crown of the hat if the crown tapers in where that top of the stretcher hits the felt. I'd recommend finding one that tapers.

B

scooter

Practically Family
I guess i should have asked this in conjunction with the initial question, but to relax the sweat should I use Lexol, or is it necessary if I steam the felt?

gottohaveahat

New in Town
Newbie downsizing question...

OK guys, newbie and first post here... I did search and read lots of suggestions on this site regarding how to slightly downsize a hat, and for the most part they work. What is not addressed however is that when you "stuff" something under the sweatband it wrinkles up and looks horrible. The hat fits now, but after paying $150 for a new Stetson Whippet, it's a little annoying. I ordered a 7 1/2 and should have ordered a 7 3/8. Thanks to all for any advice...

jacob2011

New in Town
yeah, thanks Canadian Cowboy, these are the pictures i was trying to post. thank you very much. do you have any idea or does anyone else have any idea where i can get this hat?

I guess i should have asked this in conjunction with the initial question, but to relax the sweat should I use Lexol, or is it necessary if I steam the felt?

Depends on the state of the sweatband. New one = no need. Older & not as supple = condition it then stretch. Steaming the felt makes it stiffen when it cools, reactivates the shellac, & helps hold the stretch better. HTH

SheBear74

Practically Family
Good memory :D Yes it's for my son. He has been wearing his dark gray (with a hint of green) fedora with his med gray suit. Guess some kid made a comment, which my kid just shrugged off, about them not matching. I didn't think they had to, but thought I would ask.

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face
Hello Fellow Loungers.

Here's my Question. Can anyone tell me of a Stetson Open Road Model with a liner that has the "cowboy feeding the horse" in 3x beaver?
I can pick one up Drk Grey and want to know a little history on it. Knowing little about stetson myself.

My appreciation in advance ( probably really easy for someone )

Gumbo

Hello Fellow Loungers.

Here's my Question. Can anyone tell me of a Stetson Open Road Model with a liner that has the "cowboy feeding the horse" in 3x beaver?
I can pick one up Drk Grey and want to know a little history on it. Knowing little about stetson myself.

My appreciation in advance ( probably really easy for someone )

Gumbo

Yes, there are plenty of 3x Stetson Open Roads with the Last Drop liner. The older ones are an embroidered version with later ones being silk screened.
Which is yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael