Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omne

Familiar Face
There's nothing "wrong" per se with shangtung hats, it's just simply cheaper and easier to produce than a natural straw fiber. I have a Stetson shangtung Latte hat and its served me well.

I would agree with that. I have a Stetson Breakers that I like, it's comfortable and looks good. To be honest, I live in Minnesota and I doubt if 99.9% of the people on the street here would know an authentic Panama hat if it crawled up and bit them.

I also have a natural straw that I bought from Mike Moore and I am in contact with Panamabob about getting a EspiFino 12 or possibly an Espinales Fino 14 ( that would take some thought....).

I don't think they are mutually exclusive. In my mind the straw and the Stetson are everyday hats with the Stetson preferred when it's damp out. The Montecristi would be more for special occasions... in theory anyway, I'd probably end up wearing it all the time....;)

How do you properly clean a grosgrain Ribbon?
One as spotty as this? http://buy.id.ebay.com/buying/en/di...GE-STRAW-BOATER-HAT-CAVANAGH-MADE-IN-ITALY-71
Hi, TCMfan25.

At our store, we usually advise customers to clean hats with diluted woolite in cold water, if they get stained. Put some water in the sink, stir in the Woolite, then gently hand-clean the hat.

After it's clean, rinse it, put it back into shape, and leave it in a cool place away from heat and sun to dry - brim up. You might need to do some work to get it back into shape after it dries.

Some bands are attached with hooks. Those you could take off and clean on their own.

The above procedure is only for cloth hats and felt hats, never use water on straws. What kind of hat is it?

Brandon
DelMonico Hatter
New Haven, CT

email68

One of the Regulars
How would you shape the brim on a Panama to get the front brim to stay down? Would you use steam like a felt hat, or iron it somehow?

-Tim

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Brandon Great to see you here. Mr. DelMonico mentioned that he needed to get a presents here. You forgot to mention that he can drive 5miles to your shop and have it cleaned and blocked there. Oh that is what I do. Oh well lucky me. I'll see you guys in a few weeks when the new Stratoliners come in.

Jeff

GamaH

A-List Customer
Is creasing a shantung/paper straw hat the same as creasing a natural straw or felt hat?

fmw

One Too Many
Straw can be reblocked. Works just fine. I'm not sure I'd try it myself but a pro hatter can handle it. Optimo reblocked my Stetson milan. You would never know it.

after.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Hi, TCMfan25.

At our store, we usually advise customers to clean hats with diluted woolite in cold water, if they get stained. Put some water in the sink, stir in the Woolite, then gently hand-clean the hat.

After it's clean, rinse it, put it back into shape, and leave it in a cool place away from heat and sun to dry - brim up. You might need to do some work to get it back into shape after it dries.

Some bands are attached with hooks. Those you could take off and clean on their own.

The above procedure is only for cloth hats and felt hats, never use water on straws. What kind of hat is it?

Brandon
DelMonico Hatter
New Haven, CT

I second that notion. The taupe colored Stetson milan pictured above was cleaned by me. I used dish detergent and warm water. It shrunk like crazy. The result wasn't too bad except for the shrinking. Optimo fixed everything with a new reblock. Never put your straw hat in the sink. ;) I'll join Jeff in welcoming you to the hat forum. I'm also a customer. I bought a Stetson Open Road from your shop. Great service.

fmw

One Too Many
Nope, most of them are not re-shapable at all because of the shellac.

I don't think you could get an agreeable job of recreasing a crown so I agree. I've been able to make minor changes in shantung western hat brims with a little steam. It takes some persistence. You need to get the paper pretty warm.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Straw can be reblocked. Works just fine. I'm not sure I'd try it myself but a pro hatter can handle it. Optimo reblocked my Stetson milan. You would never know it.

after.jpg

That's a lovely hat. Simply gorgeous.

I don't think you could get an agreeable job of recreasing a crown so I agree. I've been able to make minor changes in shantung western hat brims with a little steam. It takes some persistence. You need to get the paper pretty warm.

What about changing a "turn up" brim into snap?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The brim on a shangtung hat can be put up or down, I do that on my Latte all the time.

A completely unrelated question: does anybody know where I might be able to find a braided leather hatband ala John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn hat?

Here's Knudsen's version:
searchers_b.jpg

(that's actually their "The Searchers" hat, but with the Cogburn band)

But they don't sell the hatband separately...

Last edited:
Brandon Great to see you here. Mr. DelMonico mentioned that he needed to get a presents here. You forgot to mention that he can drive 5miles to your shop and have it cleaned and blocked there. Oh that is what I do. Oh well lucky me. I'll see you guys in a few weeks when the new Stratoliners come in.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, good to be here. Definitely important to pay attention to you guys on the forums, to make sure you stay outa trouble and all :)

By the way, on that Stratoliner - when you come into the store to pick yours up, be sure to ask Mr. DelMonico about the original vintage Stratoliner hat box we have in one of our displays. He'll show it to you - it's a beaut. We'll try to get a picture of it up on the forums one of these days.

-Brandon

Last edited:
I second that notion. The taupe colored Stetson milan pictured above was cleaned by me. I used dish detergent and warm water. It shrunk like crazy. The result wasn't too bad except for the shrinking. Optimo fixed everything with a new reblock. Never put your straw hat in the sink. ;) I'll join Jeff in welcoming you to the hat forum. I'm also a customer. I bought a Stetson Open Road from your shop. Great service.

Hi fmw,

Thanks for the welcome, and for the compliment. We really do try to get those orders shipped out fast.

Open road straw or felt?

Brandon

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Lucky S.O.B. :mad:

To All Panama Owners
What would you say is the average brim size for a Panama? 2.5in? 3in?

My experience has been that many Brisa and Llano weave Cuenca's are around 2 5/8"/ 2 3/4" and Montecristi's seem to run around 2 3/4". These are usually stock hats, blocked and finished in Ecuador. The higher priced US blocked and finished hats can usually have a brim width specified. The $1,000.00 and up Montecristi's can usually have a brim width of your choice. It depends on from whom you buy them from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters