Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
On PB website it is calado in reference to hats, my mistake. Calado means wet or soaked, I never heard it in reference to embroidery. We learn something new everyday, if were lucky.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
We can see that the pastafarian headwear debate still rages.

pastafarian.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
On PB website it is calado in reference to hats, my mistake. Calado means wet or soaked, I never heard it in reference to embroidery. We learn something new everyday, if were lucky.

It may mean that in some areas. Usually we would use mojado for wet or soaked. When referring to a weave, it can only really refer to the classic meaning of open work.

T Rick

Practically Family

Well, like I said....
Well, I ran "Calado" through the BableFish translator, Spanish to English, and it came up "openwork". So Semi calado would be just that I suppose. BTW, I also tried Colado, it comes back as "strained" (as in a colander I suppose).

george

New in Town
So when I ship off to Boston in September--I will be going to Bobby's, I've read nothing but good about him online--I need to get a hat. This would be my first fedora, so I'm asking if there are any special considerations I should make. I'd like the hat that I get to be versatile and something I can wear often. Any recommendations on anything, whether you have a specific hat in mind or just things to think about regarding the width of the brim, the shape of the crown, and other details would be greatly appreciated. I'm here asking this because I want my first fedora to be a real solid hat.

The only thing is that it can't be super expensive, I'm just a college student. Ideally I'd be spending no more than $150 at most. Between $100 and $150 I could manage. Lower than $100 would be a dream but I'd also be questioning the quality of the hat I'm buying. Price recommendations and your past experiences on what price gets you what kind of hat would also be appreciated.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So when I ship off to Boston in September--I will be going to Bobby's, I've read nothing but good about him online--I need to get a hat. This would be my first fedora, so I'm asking if there are any special considerations I should make. I'd like the hat that I get to be versatile and something I can wear often. Any recommendations on anything, whether you have a specific hat in mind or just things to think about regarding the width of the brim, the shape of the crown, and other details would be greatly appreciated. I'm here asking this because I want my first fedora to be a real solid hat.

The only thing is that it can't be super expensive, I'm just a college student. Ideally I'd be spending no more than $150 at most. Between $100 and $150 I could manage. Lower than $100 would be a dream but I'd also be questioning the quality of the hat I'm buying. Price recommendations and your past experiences on what price gets you what kind of hat would also be appreciated.

Grey is a nice neutral color that tends to go with a lot. I've had a lot of good luck with hats on Ebay. I've picked up two 60's Resistols for around $20 each. But if you're deadset on a new hat, Akubra is a great brand. Modern Stetsons are of decent quality, but vintage is better. Brim width and crown shape recommendations are hard without a picture of your face, but if you search around, there are several guides to matching hat styles to facial shapes floating around.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I've only recently become active here, but I'll bet that that question is one that could be argued forever. I go by the rule that you wear which ever hat you want when you want. If the weather is too hot for a felt I wear a panama. If I'm going out for the evening, I like to wear felt.

My wife on the other hand lives by a strict code she learned from her mother. You do not wear straw or "white" before Memorial Day. I'm not sure about changing from straw to felt, I'll have to ask her, but I believe that is Labor day. These are rules that she swears are universal, but when I lived in the tropics we never wore felt.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
This question should not be taken lightly. Read why!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot

Says the riot began on Sept. 13th. Here's an interesting tidbit. Also On Sept. 13th fom Wiki "1848 – Vermont railroad worker Phineas Gage survives a 3-foot (0.91*m)-plus iron rod being driven through his head; the reported effects on his behavior and personality stimulate thinking about the nature of the brain and its functions."

Things going into the head, and hats getting knocked off. It went full circle.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
How do you clean a block?
I've used this block on a few brown beater hats and then yesterday i thought I'd try it on a western conversion. The western is a light tan/taupe color. This time though the block left stains on this inside of the hat. I rubbed the block a couple times with a paper towel and its clean. Using a wet paper towel, I rubbed the block a few times and the towel turned brown.
So what do I need to do to the block so it won't leave stains when it gets wet?
Makes me wonder how stained the brown hats that I've used on are.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
How do you clean a block?
I've used this block on a few brown beater hats and then yesterday i thought I'd try it on a western conversion. The western is a light tan/taupe color. This time though the block left stains on this inside of the hat. I rubbed the block a couple times with a paper towel and its clean. Using a wet paper towel, I rubbed the block a few times and the towel turned brown.
So what do I need to do to the block so it won't leave stains when it gets wet?
Makes me wonder how stained the brown hats that I've used on are.

Is it a newly made block or an antique. If it is the latter, it might have residual dye from the years of usage soaked into the fibers. If is new, what kind of wood is it made from? This might be the culprit as you use steam (moisture ) and heat to block with and these might be causing the wood to release some coloring from its fibers into the hat. I have two old antique blocks ( merely as a collectable as there are parts nocked off them which make 'em unusable) and both had been made from clear straight maple which has colored down much darker with use. You might need to put some sort of varnish or other clear sealer on them . JMHO :)

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the help Monbla.
The block is an antique.
I've been searching around the lounge and found a few people using spar varnish to seal the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ