Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input everyone! You're all so kind and make me feel welcome. would this be a good beginners buy? http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/product/belfry-bogart.html

Hey, I'm new, too. And I started out with a "wool felt" Indiana Jones hat I got for about $50.

I think this would be a good starter hat for you. It's not expensive, yet it has the classic fedora styling you want. Black goes with practically anything, too, right? If you find yourself enjoying the whole thing, you can save up for a FUR FELT hat and even a bit different style and color. Consider a straw hat for the warmer months next summer, too!

I enjoyed my old crushable wool felt Indy hat . . . until the dog tore it to shreds. (I think he was trying to tell me to "trade up!") But now, I don't miss it anymore and I have five nice hats now.

Oh, and I don't keep them where the dog can get at them!

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
HI, another newbie here. I have a pile of baseball caps to go with my t-shirt and jeans look but I'm considering going upscale, at least as far as looks. I have seen comments about how the hat should fit your face but I have no idea what that means. I'm 55 years old with a pudgy face like those Al Capone pics. I have a Disneyland hat (actually more than one) but I was thinking of the style with a band and lining. Some of the online stores don't specify if their hats are lined. My fat head excludes most "vintage" hats. Finally, I am cheap. I don't have the money for a custom hat. Sorry if this has already been answered but there are over 450 pages of questions in this thread alone!

Thanks!

Dan

Subject 18

New in Town
I was planning on ditching the feather, it looks more like a fly fishing lure to me. I was actually looking for a fedora to match the peacoat I'm getting. Also in the Summer, I was planning on getting a straw one. I just love the look of this type of hat!

job

One Too Many
Maybe a Akubra Squatter, Pastoralist or a Boss of the plains with a ribbon put on it. You would have to go custom if you want it in purple like in the movie.
Another loungers VS custom.

100_6984.jpg

Last edited:

BobBill

New in Town
Hats Seen on Movies

I have searched and gave up...and understand this has been asked before.

Looking for hat worn in movie There Will be Blood, big curled brim fedora worn by wicked oil man played by Day-Lewis. I have had some other inquiries, but this still tops the list.

Old Buzzard

New in Town
Greetings, another new hat man here. Could you guys advise me on a first hat as to brand. Have been looking at Scala. Would that be a worthwhile purchase? Keep in mind that I need to start cheap.

Thanks

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Starting cheap means how much (or little)? That's probably goign to mean a wool hat. For woolies, brands are not as important as for furs.

My first suggestion is to go into a brick-n-mortar and try on hats. My second suggestion, assuming you have no hat store nearby, is look at this, and this page in particular, and pick something out that appeals to you:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/wool-felt-fedoras.html

With a woolie, you're not going to get the quality that you would with a fur. It won't last as long, or stand up to the elements as well, and may not be as stylable (sp?), either. But if you want cheap, then this is the way to go.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
If I were you guys that are looking for an entry-level hat, I would keep an eye on the classifieds (if you know your size - if you don't know your size, get a cloth measuring tape and calculate it). I found one of my first real hats in the classifieds. It was a Stetson Royal De Luxe for $45 shipped. It's the hat currently in my avatar photo and is still one of my top 3 favorite hats.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
HI, another newbie here. I have a pile of baseball caps to go with my t-shirt and jeans look but I'm considering going upscale, at least as far as looks. I have seen comments about how the hat should fit your face but I have no idea what that means. I'm 55 years old with a pudgy face like those Al Capone pics. I have a Disneyland hat (actually more than one) but I was thinking of the style with a band and lining. Some of the online stores don't specify if their hats are lined. My fat head excludes most "vintage" hats. Finally, I am cheap. I don't have the money for a custom hat. Sorry if this has already been answered but there are over 450 pages of questions in this thread alone!

Thanks!

Dan

Greetings, another new hat man here. Could you guys advise me on a first hat as to brand. Have been looking at Scala. Would that be a worthwhile purchase? Keep in mind that I need to start cheap.

Thanks

If I were you guys that are looking for an entry-level hat, I would keep an eye on the classifieds (if you know your size - if you don't know your size, get a cloth measuring tape and calculate it). I found one of my first real hats in the classifieds. It was a Stetson Royal De Luxe for $45 shipped. It's the hat currently in my avatar photo and is still one of my top 3 favorite hats.

I would agree with Rodkins here. Also, keep an eye out on ebay for vintage lids. I have gotten a few good fur felt hats for under 30 bucks, which is a lot cheaper than you will be able to find even a wool felt. Fur felt isn't a luxury. It is a necessity if your hat is to be used (rain, sun, etc.) Wool doesn't hold up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24