Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
We will all probably have varying opinions on what looks best, but for instance, here's a lord's hat I've been wearing today. Hair back, hair down...
004copys.jpg

image3copyg.jpg

Not trying to sit on the fence but that looks good both ways. What do you tie you hair up with (Never thought I'd ask a guy THAT question LOL :D)

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
@bowlerman I've always used a lace with a slip-knot. I like my hair tied quite tight too which is proving to be difficult with hat wearing. I'm pretty sure I'll crack it in the end though.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello to Bexley England. With respect to hats and hair length, I think that following history may be a good way to go. Many Old West (American) cowboys etc had longer hair and wore wider brimmed hats. The city Slickers who had access to a barber on a more regular basis had short hair and wore stingier brims. To a cowboy, even a 2 3/4 inch Indiana Jones Fedora is a stingy brim.

Of course, you're in England and finding a Store with Western wear is going to be a problem, but the wider brimmed Borsalino's and anything at 2 3/4 would help. Bowlerman's idea of the front and back dip is also a good one.

Just my $0.02 and worth what you paid for it.

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Hello to Bexley England....

Hi 1961MJS. Thanks for your insights. I agree that larger brims seem to fit with my long hair. I'm not sure about larger than 2 3/4in but hey, early days. What I'm really trying for is a comfortable hat to go with my new found wardrobe of Harris Tweed sports jackets and navy colour overcoat. I'm quite interested in Lord's hats since Bowlerman drew my attention to them.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...What I'm really trying for is a comfortable hat to go with my new found wardrobe of Harris Tweed sports jackets and navy colour overcoat. I'm quite interested in Lord's hats since Bowlerman drew my attention to them.

Hi

If possible, try hats on before you buy too many. I've been fairly lucky. The hat I like least is still worn twice a week in the winter, but the crown could be a little higher... The reason I mention trying on is that I think that Homburg hats are about the coolest thing I've seen. Hatman Jack's in Wichita has several in my size, in stock. Of course, I tried them on and I look like such an idiot in them. This is MY opinion, not my wife's (who thinks I just look like an idiot anyway). I really like the way Bowlerman's hats look on him, but I'm betting I'd want a bit more brim for it to look right on my face.

Later

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
...This is MY opinion, not my wife's (who thinks I just look like an idiot anyway

LOL :) Hi Mike. I'd love to try them on first but I haven't a hat shop within easy reach. I think I probably will find one in London in the near future and take your advice though. I'm sure I'd learn a bundle from a good hat salesman.

Davey_Speedstar

New in Town
...Which leads to my question:

Does anyone know of any good IRL hat shops in the UK? For me, ideally in Yorkshire. I would also be interested to know about shops in London as I will undoubtaly be making the anual pilgrimage there over the next few months

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Ignoring the awful shirt I'm wearing and the fact that I haven't shaved!

I placed some webbing material in the hat-band of my Jaxon C Crown. It seems to be a lot better fit although I have to pull it down onto my head a little. Hows it look?

Jaxon-CCrown_25.jpg

Be honest, I can't be offended.

Old Buzzard

New in Town
Ignoring the awful shirt I'm wearing and the fact that I haven't shaved!

I placed some webbing material in the hat-band of my Jaxon C Crown. It seems to be a lot better fit although I have to pull it down onto my head a little. Hows it look?

Jaxon-CCrown_25.jpg

Be honest, I can't be offended.

Nice looking lid, looks good on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80