Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I'm unable to upload slides using the upload feature. I'm not doing anything different than before, and it's with both the cameras that up until a few days ago had been working just fine. When I go to upload, I get a red X after the file name, but no indication of what the issue is. I've been hosting on Photobucket, but would prefer to use the upload. Anyone have any ideas?

On looking at it further, it appears I have "exceeded my quota." Any ideas how i fix that? Do I have to go back through all my old posts and delete photos? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
This is purely a guess on my part, and perhaps one of the Bartenders can either confirm or refute it, but when you use the "direct upload" feature I believe the images are stored on The Lounge's server. As such, they probably have to limit the amount of space reserved for each member, which is why you received the "exceeded my quota" message.

That's why I prefer to use Photobucket. It's a little more work for me to post an image, but that method doesn't take up space on the servers of the various forums I frequent, and Photobucket appears to have far more space available.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That's why I prefer to use Photobucket.

So do I most of the time, but it leaves us with the issue of tons of missing images in the different threads. Members leave the Lounge and delete or forget their Photobucket account - and we loose a lot of essential material.

It's a difficult issue to solve, and I don't have the solution either [huh]

Orangegrad

Practically Family
It was indeed an issue of my exceeding my limit of storage space. I'm now going to use smaller size photos. Maybe they won't look as good, but they won't take up as much room either. I prefer to upload directly rather than use Photobucket. Let's see how long it takes me to run out of room again...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm now going to use smaller size photos. Maybe they won't look as good [...]

Big or small, Andy ... your pics always look great. Most of the time you go that extra mile to make them even more interesting (including native American jewlery, etc). Always a pleassure!

I have also noticed, that you're winning the battle on the cap-wearing. Your new cap-pics show you finally have nailed the crown style ... your endurance has obviously paid off. Congratulations ;)

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Thanks, Ole. It just took a while to find the right size, shape, and drape of the cap that fits me best. The Wigens I'm wearing today may be my favorite of them all. Just the best quality I've seen in a cap so far.

So do I most of the time, but it leaves us with the issue of tons of missing images in the different threads. Members leave the Lounge and delete or forget their Photobucket account - and we loose a lot of essential material...
We lose older images anyway when members like Andy "exceed their quota" and have to delete old images in order to make room for new ones. As you said, it's a difficult issue to solve because neither method of posting photos is foolproof.

On a semi-related note, one thing I don't understand is when people use Photobucket to post photos, but delete them after only a few days. It can't be a space/quota issue, because I have about 600 images stored on Photobucket and they've only used 3% of my allotted space. [huh]

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yes, images are by tradition problematic in popular fora. That was understandable ten years ago, but today you can buy webspace with unlimited traffic and unlimited disk-space for $5 a month, so it's hard to see the need for a space limit on TFL :eusa_doh: [huh] (Sorry, didn't know which was most appropriate)

On a semi-related note, one thing I don't understand is when people use Photobucket to post photos, but delete them after only a few days. It can't be a space/quota issue, because I have about 600 images stored on Photobucket and they've only used 3% of my allotted space. [huh]

Could also be, that the member uploaded and posted some pictures - and after a few days got the great idea to arrange the images in folders/categories/galleries on the source site. Thereby the URL (address) may change, and the person may not be aware of this.

Anyway, we shouldn't have such problems, but I'm not sure they are prioritized. Back in September I offered to help Charlie (hatsRme) with some image posting issues in a thread. Our project was interrupted before it began by Charlie's shoulder surgery, but I was in contacted via a PM by bartender Nathan Flowers, who obviously read the posts.

He would like to know if I was a webdesigner, because TFL needed a redesign. I replied, that I was a webdeveloper, and I would love to help as much as I could. No reply, though I saw him online several times. I wrote again a couple of days later ... same noisy silence. Haven't heard a single sigh from that corner since his first PM.

I decided that my energy is better spend elsewhere, so I haven't done more - and I don't intend to do so. Beside my job there are lots of kind people with the courtesy to be communicative, who are in need of professional assistance.

But I do look forward to a new design - and maybe even a working image solution :)

Last edited:

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Ok loungers there are a few of the now defunct Beaver brand 5x hats on Ebay. i have no experience with this brand and they are being offered at reasonable prices (40-60 USD). Is it worth it to lay down some cash or should i skip them and save my dough for something better. mostly im concerned with quality construction etc thank you in advance loungers

Ok loungers there are a few of the now defunct Beaver brand 5x hats on Ebay. i have no experience with this brand and they are being offered at reasonable prices (40-60 USD). Is it worth it to lay down some cash or should i skip them and save my dough for something better. mostly im concerned with quality construction etc thank you in advance loungers

I paid considerably more for one of the remaining Beaver Brand stock of a hat shop for a OR clone Classic.
They are definitely worth $40-$60 IMHO.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I bought a couple of the American Legend labelled Beaver Brand 5x and am very happy with them for that sort of price. They're not as nice in terms of construction quality as the Akubra's I've bought, but as good as most modern production hats. I bought one entry level quality Beaver Brand (I think it was labelled Heritage or Classic) and the felt quality on that is pretty poor, but the 5x aren't bad.

Belgian Beaver?

A re-ask of a question from the Miller-Stockman thread... belgian beaver shows up as a quality of hat (less costly than clear nutria)... I always thought that this was a beaver designation, but appears that it might have been a hare product. Anyone have additional knowledge on this?

many thanks,
Alan

-30-

A-List Customer
"Instructions here, brother cavefish."
QUOTE: alanfgag.

Well, he might be The Head Bartender, but even being a Mac Fan Boy, he could have had more Respect to The Majority of those who use Microsoft or even Linux:

"I've done all this on my Mac, which simplifies everything. If you are on a machine with Vista or some such horror, don't come crying to me about pop-ups, added steps, blind alleys, and useless dialog boxes that you don't see illustrated here.... "
QUOTE: scotrace.

Regards,
J T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran