Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BrianHicks

New in Town
What would the majority consider to be a reasonable price, for a custom made Fedora? I've seen quotes range from around $185.00 for a Rabbit Felt, to as much as $850.00 for a Beaver Felt. (Note... these prices are not from the same maker). I've also seen additional costs for the edge treatment of the brim (rolled or trimmed).

My observation has been, the avg. cost seems to hover around $300.00-$350.00 for a Beaver Felt.

Whats do most of you consider a reasonable cost, and why?

Or what do you consider the attributes that would increase the cost of a Fedora?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
IMHO, there's no solid reason to pay more than $500 for a totally...ahem "pimped out" custom lid. Optimo, for example, runs above this margin...and that didn't stop me from buying one. :-D

What would I pay extra for? Quality sweatband; vintage ribbon; finish treatment (long hair, suede, etc); brim accoutrements (binding, stitching, welts, rolls). I figure if you're gonna spend all that money on a custom lid, it better not be mistaken for an off the rack hat!

Oh, although, say I did have a spare 1k, Art Fawcett has that legacy felt.....

Last edited:
Whats do most of you consider a reasonable cost, and why?

Or what do you consider the attributes that would increase the cost of a Fedora?
A custom hatter uses basically the same materials as the others but has to amass a great deal of equipment & skills plus some individual techniques that are their "secrets".
How that manifests into a hat dictates what a hatter can charge & the appreciation by folks determines who is willing to pay either what the hatter asks or they negotiate.
My farrier charges more than other but less than some. They all have same equipment investment but there is a component of "artistry" or "craftsmanship".
What I may consider a reasonable cost & what somebody else who doesn't look at a lid like I do will vary greatly.
As the old answer goes, DEPENDS....

Last edited:

BrianHicks

New in Town
As a quick addendum, I have purchased exceptionally well custom made Fedoras from John Penman (1x HH style), and Timothy Bender (2x Fedoras), and I am exceptionally pleased with each of them.

RJR

I have purchased from several custom makers here on the Lounge and have yet to be disappointed.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hello,

Any one can give an idea of the best leather conditioner for the headbands of my hats?

Also if I redo a brim, on a Fedora (Akubra CEO) will it be wise to use some hat stiffener? If so is Kahl brand a good one?

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
Portland Oregon in June could still have rain, although we've been having drier weather statewide the last couple years. I would go with the felt for there if you can only take one hat with you.

dnjan

One Too Many
Have you got a rollable hat like a Tilley?
I would bring the straw and stuff a tilly in my luggage for emergencies.

bartcubb

New in Town
Thanks for the advice, guys. I did mean Portland, OR. I don't own a Tilley-type hat, unfortunately, and am hesitant to buy one as I don't think I would wear it much outside of my trip.

I'm leaning towards a felt hat right now, unless it gets really humid in June.

dnjan

One Too Many
Humidity shouldn't be much of a problem. Fortunately, the pacific northwest rarely gets heat and humidity together.
Cold and humidity (45F and drizzle), yes, but heat and humidity, not so much.

Mr Oldschool

One of the Regulars
Actually, during the summer, Portland can get rather humid. But I will add that New York humidity is certainly worse. Portland is a very damp area of the state, so when it warms up it can be difficult to get comfortable short of air conditioning. Even at 80-90 degrees, it can be stifling. Oregon is much drier in the South and East of the state, but the Northwest corner is almost always rainy to some degree.

dnjan

One Too Many
I stand corrected. Whenever I have visited Portland, it hasn't been much different than Seattle - cool and damp for most of the year, but lower humidity when it finally warms up.

Back to the Portland visit - where will you be going?
If you have the time, I highly recommend Upright Brewing.
Just check their tasting room times, as their hours are somewhat limited.

bartcubb

New in Town
Thanks for the tip! Our agenda isn't settled yet, but I definitely want to visit a brewery or two. We also plan to check out the zoo and do some things outdoors.

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
I have an Akubra Stylemaster which has a "snap brim". I realize I'm looking for what Akubra calls a "dipping brim" like on the Cattleman. They don't make a hat with a dipping brim thats under 3". Is there anyway a notable Hat store like JJ Hat Center would be able to create a dipping brim on my Stylemaster or is there no way to convert a snap brim to a dipping brim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21