Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Also , you want to make sure the shape is like it was (or like you want) before it dries , but let it dry slowly , with the sweatband turned out . But you can hang it on a hook , door knob , just not in the heat . ... Borsalino are fine Hats . ... sometimes sitting on the Brim is best for fedoras , being soft , but westerns you want them bottom up or hung for sure . Light rain shouldn't hurt it at all , its heavy soaking that can mess up some Hats , especially causing Brim sag , but always dry slowly in the shape you want .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I recommend never sitting a wet hat on its crown even though popular belief says to ... you will end up with flat spots on the crown and dead spots in the felt ... especially on a fine hat like a Borsalino

resting it on the brim won't do much unless the hat is completely soaked ... and if the brim is bound even if the hat is soaked it won't do much at all

hanging the hat is aways the best bet ... but never on a hook

I put tennis balls on all of my hat hooks to give the hat something nice and round to hang on

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I recommend never sitting a wet hat on its crown even though popular belief says to ... you will end up with flat spots on the crown and dead spots in the felt ... especially on a fine hat like a Borsalino

resting it on the brim won't do much unless the hat is completely soaked ... and if the brim is bound even if the hat is soaked it won't do much at all

I put tennis balls on all of my hat hooks to give the hat something nice and round to hang on

Moon makes some good points too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a wooden hat jack which I have drilled & added 4 door stops from the hardware store to give it legs. The hat jack will now stand up about 2-1/2 - 3" off the table top. When any of my hats are soaked I roll the sweat to the outside & set the hat jack in place with just enough tension to hold the hat to size. But if you need to stretch the hat now is the time to do it. Otherwise leave it to stand on it's legs to dry overnight. The hat doesn't touch the table surface. This works great for either western or fedora hats.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Love serving 40. I agree.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Love serving 40. I agree.

tennis-ball-head.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
QUESTION:

My hat size being 7-1/8, all my fedoras fit nicely and remain comfortable regardless how long they are worn. I have also an elderly Stratton Campaign hat size 7-1/8. When I first began wearing it at the local gun range, it fit when I put it on. But within 30 minutes it became uncomfortably tight. I used my hat stretcher. Although I don't know its current size, when I put it on, it is loose. Within 15 minutes it becomes a comfortable fit and remains comfortable throughout an afternoon.

I do not understand why fedoras do not appear to become smaller (or my head becomes larger??) while the fur felt Campaign hat does. What is really happening and why?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It could be your head is swelling (it does when it's hot) & because these thick, stiff felts have no give in them, they don't expand as opposed to fedoras which are more accommodating. Stretching it seems to allow a little room for head swelling. :DI don't think it's the sweatband, at least not on an old hat nor that the hat has shrunk.
What you could do is measure your head size before you start out & then measure it again after half an hour's hat wearin'......you may find you've gained half a size. :rolleyes:

RJR

I have a wooden hat jack which I have drilled & added 4 door stops from the hardware store to give it legs. The hat jack will now stand up about 2-1/2 - 3" off the table top. When any of my hats are soaked I roll the sweat to the outside & set the hat jack in place with just enough tension to hold the hat to size. But if you need to stretch the hat now is the time to do it. Otherwise leave it to stand on it's legs to dry overnight. The hat doesn't touch the table surface. This works great for either western or fedora hats.
Works very well.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
It could be your head is swelling (it does when it's hot) & because these thick, stiff felts have no give in them, they don't expand as opposed to fedoras which are more accommodating. Stretching it seems to allow a little room for head swelling. :DI don't think it's the sweatband, at least not on an old hat nor that the hat has shrunk.
What you could do is measure your head size before you start out & then measure it again after half an hour's hat wearin'......you may find you've gained half a size. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
I just read an article that stated a high crown on a hat provides air space to heat up and so was good in colder climates, whereas a vaquero style hat with a lower crown was better in warm climates as there was no airspace.

I always thought the airspace in a tall crown worked like an attic, cooling in hot weather, warming in cold, and the different crowns were really just more regional fashion.

Obviously, I'm discussing western style hats here, but the theory should be consistent.

Thoughts?

Air space is insulation, and insulation is good for hot or cold. I don't think a lower crown is of any benefit either way in that regard.

Boonedouglas

New in Town
Hey guys, Im new to this forum. I'm looking to get a fedora similar to the silverbelly one Jimmy Stewart wears in The FBI Story. I've looked at the stetson open road, but it has the wrong crown styling, any suggestions? Thanks!

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Hey guys, Im new to this forum. I'm looking to get a fedora similar to the silverbelly one Jimmy Stewart wears in The FBI Story. I've looked at the stetson open road, but it has the wrong crown styling, any suggestions? Thanks!

It looks like an open road that has been reshaped. Pretty common to reshape a crown. Akubra campdraft would work too as a modern version that's like that.

Excluding the brim edge for the moment would a 3.5-4" brim X 6" open crown take this much rake & depth? I'm guessing the rake is 2+"? Would the typical 6" open crown candidate have to be reflanged for the lean in the front? Would it take more than a 6" open crown?

mj0rya.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24