Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dkstott

Practically Family
Isn't the Stetson Temple a new name for their original Indiana Jones hat?

Kevin@ JJ Hats has a nice video of the latest Stetson hats.

A modern Stetson is as good as any other modern factory hat, IMHO. If you like the Temple, get the Temple.

If you can find a Stetson New York, it is an open crown hat in Stetson's excellent quality felt, which is among the best currently made. If you happen to be 7 1/4 or 7 5/8 one two Mini Ranch has it for you: http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-new-york-100-beaver-open-crown-fedora-hat/

JJ has some of the Royal Deluxe versions left
https://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/stetson/products/the-grand-central-by-stetson

If you're ok with the pre creased look, Stetson also makes the Pinnacle, which is the same as the Temple but in excellent quality felt.

The other popular hat is the Fed IV:
https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-federation-iv

CaptainFach

New in Town
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg
Is blocking a panama hat the same as a felt hat? I found some panama hat bodies but unsure of how to shape it.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
All great suggestions on the mold gents. Thank you!

I live up on a wide open ridge about 1 mile from the coast, my place facing the prevailing NE trade winds which blow right through. I have no AC, just ceiling fans with windows and door generally left open. When storms blow through it is a bit like living inside a rain cloud.

I’m going to revert to my restaurant training in controlling micro organisms and spread around a little bleach to try and kill the mold spores, wash off all my footwear with Ivory and distilled water and get a closet heater/dehumidifier.

I just bought a new little 000-15 Martín guitar and boy does it get wonky due to the humidity. The guy who sold it told me to keep it in the closet with a heater-dehumidifier anyway.

Thanks guys.

Peace!

Last edited:

CaptainFach

New in Town
How durable are wool felt bodies? Im very new to hat making and wanted to practice with wool felt since its much cheaper. And its the same principle? Get it hot and drenched and stretch it over the block, then iron it to shape?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Jonesy, what I use is distilled water (ph neutral) and Ivory liquid (ph neutral) and clean with a lint free cloth or sponge. Dry thoroughly in the sun. Maybe you can find some. Condition as needed. Try to create a controlled environment for your leather. Use the hell out of this stuff. It works!
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwij3ImkyNjjAhWUUs0KHeIGBWIQ9aACCD0&adurl=

Thanks for the tip Bama.

Also, I recently tried your recipe for Bulls Eye Shellac in one of my Pandanus leaf straws that went flat from getting caught in the rain, and it worked great! I’m going to start on some of my hemp next.

5ee9e6ee32455ff69571b401b66ca2de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
2A15733B-3C1D-4F17-9DEA-622D6DB63007.jpeg
I just started looking at this thread. The Stratton factory is about 200 yards from my place of employment. I can actually see the sign from our front door. I’ve been inside for factory tours several times but not lately. I remember them saying they had the contract for USMC drill instructors. We have a decent relationship with them so if anyone has any questions i may be able to get an answer.

Did a pop in and spoke with the owner (still family owned). He was happy to hear about the interest in their hats but i did not get the impression he would be chiming in here.

Antinomy

Familiar Face
Hi to all! Is it possible to make super stiff wide brims like board without press only if i will be use shellac? When i starting to make hat what i need to do firs, blocking the hat and then use stiffener or use stiffener on raw cappeline and then blocking?

dkstott

Practically Family
All great suggestions on the mold gents. Thank you!

I live up on a wide open ridge about 1 mile from the coast, my place facing the prevailing NE trade winds which blow right through. I have no AC, just ceiling fans with windows and door generally left open. When storms blow through it is a bit like living inside a rain cloud.

I’m going to revert to my restaurant training in controlling micro organisms and spread around a little bleach to try and kill the mold spores, wash off all my footwear with Ivory and distilled water and get a closet heater/dehumidifier.

I just bought a new little 000-15 Martín guitar and boy does it get wonky due to the humidity. The guy who sold it told me to keep it in the closet with a heater-dehumidifier anyway.

Thanks guys.

Peace!
I lived on Guam for almost 4 years. I ran a dehumidifier in the apartment to keep the humidity and mold away from my guitar and belongings.

Here in Connecticut, my 3 guitars stay in their cases when the dew points go over 70. In the winter time, I have to run humidifiers to keep the humidity above 20%... I also use in case humidifiers by Oasis to help my guitars.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Any luck on more pics?

For pricing, there are a couple of variables. Besides quality and age of the hat, you also have to take into account size. Smaller sizes have much less demand.

As a general rule folks at the Lounge are reticent to discuss pricing, particularly if it is a hat that is going to go on sale :)

We’d still like to help, and after a little hemming and hawing someone always gives a decent estimate!

All the best,
Daniel

hi friends,

currently, all i have is this pic and that it's a "royal stetson" ... is this an OR? i've tried to date via crest but no luck ... and finally whats a fair price?

thanks for the help!
mike

View attachment 178514

View attachment 178703

Did a pop in and spoke with the owner (still family owned). He was happy to hear about the interest in their hats but i did not get the impression he would be chiming in here.

Is Winchester’s felt production at the same location? I’m hoping that Winchester is open now after their summer break. Any information would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
How durable are wool felt bodies? Im very new to hat making and wanted to practice with wool felt since its much cheaper. And its the same principle? Get it hot and drenched and stretch it over the block, then iron it to shape?

There is wool felt & then there is wool felt. Wool felt varies enormously in quality & so in durability. If durablity is your only criteria then prehaps you should look for other materials but if looked after, they will last quite while. Wool felt hats are great to practice on as they are far less forgiving than fur felts & so you learn what not to do. Also when handling, stretching & shaping wool felt, it is best to use as little heat & water as possible as it shrinks like billyo & once shrunk, even if you stretch it over a hippo's butt, it'll eventually return to it's pre-shrunk size. Also, wool felt bodies tend not to be stiffened since they are destined for the floppy women's hat trade so you'll need a truck load of stiffener if you want your hat to keep any kind of shape.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I really am fond of the Stetson Temple, it resembles the 40s Gangster hats of old, but I understand that hats these days are no longer the same quality.

What's the closest hat that matches that particular hat's setup/look without spending double or triple what a Stetson will cost?

Thanks in advance.

A brand new felt-hat in top quality is nice, but expensive.
With some effort, patience and luck you can find high quality used hats (50+ years) in good condition for less money on ebay, at flea markets, etc.
Like you already pointed out, the quality standards for felts and workmanship were higher back then. Old hats also have a history and usually more character.
Why just buy a hat that looks like 1940's, if you can find a nice one that actually was made in the 40's :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I recently discovered to my horror that my hand made Lucchese boots were covered with mold due to the very high humidity levels on this rock in the middle of the ocean. I have been warned and am afraid that my leather jackets will mold as well, not to mention my fur felt hats. Any suggestions on keeping things dry?

Peace.

Mold hates two things, sunlight & draughts. The mold you see are the fruiting bodies of the fungus who's roots (mycelium) have already been breaking down the support for some time before the visable signs appear. Putting moldy objects in the sun will kill off spores & the fruiting bodies, since the UV's are deadly to them but it won't alter any structural damage caused by the fungus. If after washing & drying (don't dry leather in the sun or next to any artificial heat source ) it/they still smell 'moldy' then I'm afraid your boots have been permantly damaged.
To prevent your possessions from getting moldy, reducing humidity is always a good idea but aeration is equally important, if you can get a permanant through-draft where you store them so much the better & putting them out under the sun regularly will help prevent any spores from taking hold. As for hats, it is more likely the leather sweatbands will fall victim to mold rather than the felt it's self (unless sweat stained or damp) so same thing, don't store them piled up in a dark place with no aeration. Also you'll need to scrub down the area you have been storing your stuff in since there is probably a healthy supply of spores just waiting for a nice substrate to colonize... bleach is as good as anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails