Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marisad

New in Town
Hey friend. Allow me to put my two cents in here since I just got done with my stalker hat. First off, I got lucky. I found a vintage Thoroughbred hat that was close, and in my size, on eBay. Bought it, and reshaped it over a tea kettle. Finally have it dialed in. I would say start there and try and see if you can get the shape you are looking for. The thing that you will struggle with the most on the stalker is the pencil rolled brim. That’s 90% of the reason why I bought the hat that I did. It was already there.
The other option is to go to Mike from
North West Hats and have him custom make one for you. It’s like 450 dollars for a full beaver custom hat. Unbelievably reasonable, and I believe he gets his blanks from Stratton. Technically I think Winchester, but my understanding (anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, Winchester gets theirs from Stratton). Mike is incredibly nice, a real craftsman, and he’ll be able to make you the hat. Just give him a lot of specifics. You are basically looking for a 4 1/4 tall tear drop crown, with no pinch, and a 3 1/2 inch pencil roll brim. That’s as near as I’ve been able to figure it. O’Farrell has a similar hat called the tecate that would also fit the Bill if you want to pay 1000 dollars for pure beaver and wait a year.
Here’s the next thing. My advice is not to go for a completely flat brim. Hence why I recommend at least looking at the Tecate for reference. There is definitely a difference between a video game and reality. I got my Thoroubred, the brim was flat, and BOY did it look Puritan, prospectory, and Amish. Was just really awful.
Here are some pics of mine now that I have it dialed it in shape wise. I still need to clean it and replace the band, but I’m very happy.

Your Stalker hat looks identical to the one in Red Dead . I also found out recently that Clint Eastwood used that in the movie " A fist Full Of Dollars " except that one has the brim bound. Personally I think the unbound, raw brim looks the best on all hats.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I’m generally with Joe. My hat, my rules, but with a bit of common sense. The problem with a strict no hats indoors rule is that the most convenient place to keep a big fedora is on the head. I never take my hat off for shopping. I feel uncomfortable wearing a hat while eating at a restaurant, but Japan has some tiny restaurants with only a counter or a very cramped booth. I’ll still remove the hat where possible, but not if it’s going to put the hat at risk. Truth be told, I’ve probably only ever eaten at a restaurant once while wearing my hat. The privacy of my own home is obviously a different story. Like many other Loungers, I sometimes get the urge to cover my head at home. Etsuko is amused by it, but I think she understands.
One thing I do struggle with is tipping my hat. Eric @Short Balding Guy often mentions tipping his hat, but every time I try, I just feel ungainly. I’d love to be able to do it with nonchalance.

JeffOYB

Vendor

Snowman

Practically Family
Do I have an Franken-Hat?
I have a fedora that says both Stetson and Cervo. I have uploaded images for you to review.
I have a big head so I bought a size 8 and it's too big so might flip it.
Thank you for any information you can provide on this fedora.
PS- If I am posting this in the wrong place, please forgive me as this is my first post.
Welcome to the Lounge. I’m no expert, but it could either be a retailer name, or the sweatband could be a replacement.

I’m generally with Joe. My hat, my rules, but with a bit of common sense. The problem with a strict no hats indoors rule is that the most convenient place to keep a big fedora is on the head. I never take my hat off for shopping. I feel uncomfortable wearing a hat while eating at a restaurant, but Japan has some tiny restaurants with only a counter or a very cramped booth. I’ll still remove the hat where possible, but not if it’s going to put the hat at risk. Truth be told, I’ve probably only ever eaten at a restaurant once while wearing my hat. The privacy of my own home is obviously a different story. Like many other Loungers, I sometimes get the urge to cover my head at home. Etsuko is amused by it, but I think she understands.
One thing I do struggle with is tipping my hat. Eric @Short Balding Guy often mentions tipping his hat, but every time I try, I just feel ungainly. I’d love to be able to do it with nonchalance.
It is interesting to think as we live in different times and often take things like clean air for granted. Part of the “elements” a hat was to protect you from back when hats were the norm was soot and debris from factories. Either from working in them or just in the city environment. Very likely much of the removing the hat indoor tradition came from not continuing to shake off that dirt inside. I’m thinking much the same way some mothers might have yelled… Take off your dirty shoes!! you are not going to track all that mud all over my clean carpet! Traditions and etiquette can grow out of actual necessity.

I also still stick to my theory that while we today may agonize over when is the proper time to remove ones hat.. if you put yourself in the perspective of one living in a time where the hat was essentially required…. You may have more been looking for the opportunity of when you COULD remove it and relax.

It is interesting to think as we live in different times and often take things like clean air for granted. Part of the “elements” a hat was to protect you from back when hats were the norm was soot and debris from factories. Either from working in them or just in the city environment. Very likely much of the removing the hat indoor tradition came from not continuing to shake off that dirt inside. I’m thinking much the same way some mothers might have yelled… Take off your dirty shoes!! you are not going to track all that mud all over my clean carpet! Traditions and etiquette can grow out of actual necessity.

I also still stick to my theory that while we today may agonize over when is the proper time to remove ones hat.. if you put yourself in the perspective of one living in a time where the hat was essentially required…. You may have more been looking for the opportunity of when you COULD remove it and relax.
Yes, outdoor air quality was appalling in the cities back in the day AND shampoo for the hair had yet to be invented so the washing of hair was a long ways from a daily event.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

Interesting discussion for sure, finding a hat rack or acceptable place to hang your hat is uncommon now. Certainly makes you think twice about removing your hat when coming inside.

Samson25

Familiar Face
I'm lost. I'll try this thread. I'm wondering about the eternal "ok to wear a hat indoors" question.

I see there's an Etiquette thread. Many references to it. Have you visited? It starts out with a long series of posts about a movie scene. Nothing etiquette. So, sorry, fail.

I see Emily Post's answer to this question. It leaves out a doozy. What about in a bar? Nightclub? Apparently "lunch counter" is fair game.

I do to a jazz club. I see a fair number in hats. I take mine off coz wider brim or heavier winter hat. But I'm angling for a short brim hat that won't be in the way of indoor style.

I note that the ppl are indoors. Nobody is outside. Wearing a cool hat outside is pointless. It's winter, put that trapper hat on out there and batten down the flaps. But once inside? That's where we see and be seen.

...I was just watching a dance scene from a movie and the guys all have big hats on. So there's that.

Rules change. Sunglasses at night. I suppose do what the natives do?
Great question, one which I too am struggling with. Indoors or out, if I am in a public space, ( bar, supermarket/ store, Lobby, etc. ) I don't take off my hat.
Also if I am in motion ( car, train, subway ) I don't.
If I sit outside (Cafe, Bar, etc.) I keep my hat on.
I live in E.U. so "milage may vary"

Samson25

Familiar Face
Great response Blare !
"My hat, my rules !"
Part of why I am firmly in the camp of “my hat… my rules”…. Which then transposes to “my rules…. For my hat” Which means I am in no position to impose hat rules on anyone else nor are they on me. That however does not mean I wear my hat with entirely no respect. There are times I remove mine in respect or deference to others…. Situation… or location. But I do so in what feels right to me.

Last edited:
Great response Blare !
"My hat, my rules !"

Until you run into "my house, my rules," that is.

I think most of us take a practical approach these days, given the lack of accomodation for hats, etc. in restaurants. I only know of a few here in town with a proper coat check. My wife and I are often seated at four-tops, so it's easy to just toss it on an extra chair. Sometimes there is a nearby shelf or something close by to hang it on. I'm kind of uncomfortable sitting at a table eating with my hat on, unless outside.

JeffOYB

Vendor
A policy i've seen mentioned a few times is "you can wear it if there's no place to put it." I'd guess that most bars today don't have hooks of any kind. And might be generally awkward for storing hats. My current approach is to be more inclined toward small hats. Short brims. I'd say a legit beef against a hat in a club while listening to music is it's obstructing someone's view. So no big hat. Unless you're against a wall? I go to a jazz club. A couple elderly patrons, guy and gal, wear panamas in somewhat worse for wear condition. Hers isn't too big. he sits against wall usually.

Here's another issue regarding when to wear a hat and when not to--these days, who really cares? Does the average person in 2021 even know there are/were rules about such things? I mean, sure, if you're in a movie theater or the audience of a live performance it's best to remove your hat if it's blocking the view of people behind you; that's common courtesy. But if you're a college student sitting in Starbucks for a few hours composing a paper on your tablet, does anyone really care whether or not your $12 Trilby is still perched atop your cranium? I've been seated in indoor restaurants near male patrons who were of an age when they should know better, eating their dinners with their caps/hats still on their heads. Even my wife and a good female friend of ours have argued with me as we were being seated at a restaurant that I didn't need to remove my hat because no one but me cared. Mind you, I remove my hat when I'm eating because it's more comfortable for me to do so, not because I care about the opinion of the slob three tables down eating his peas with a butter knife.

So why do we still care if no one else does? I'm not being combative or argumentative, this is a sincere question. I realize many of us here hold ourselves to a higher standard than the rest of the not-so-civilized world, but is that the only reason? Does it really matter that much if the people around you don't even acknowledge it?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Does the average person in 2021 even know there are/were rules about such things? I mean, sure, if you're in a movie theater or the audience of a live performance it's best to remove your hat if it's blocking the view of people behind you; that's common courtesy.

funny you should mention that, I saw a dude wearing what I assume to be a Goorin bros flat brim at the theater the other day when I went to see Spiderman. We were in one of the fancy new theaters with recliners, so the spacing was such that it was unlikely to actually be an obstruction. But it did stand out for me because a movie theater is one of the places where I'll probably just put a baseball cap on. I also have seen guys at pro-wrestling shows with wide brim hats. In floor seats!

So why do we still care if no one else does? I'm not being combative or argumentative, this is a sincere question. I realize many of us here hold ourselves to a higher standard than the rest of the not-so-civilized world, but is that the only reason? Does it really matter that much if the people around you don't even acknowledge it?

This is the heart of why I'm usually making the "no such thing as hat etiquette in 2021" argument. It's not rude if nobody around you thinks it's rude.

of course, practically speaking, it's equally true that there are not a lot of good options to stash your hat these days.

Here's another issue regarding when to wear a hat and when not to--these days, who really cares? Does the average person in 2021 even know there are/were rules about such things? I mean, sure, if you're in a movie theater or the audience of a live performance it's best to remove your hat if it's blocking the view of people behind you; that's common courtesy. But if you're a college student sitting in Starbucks for a few hours composing a paper on your tablet, does anyone really care whether or not your $12 Trilby is still perched atop your cranium? I've been seated in indoor restaurants near male patrons who were of an age when they should know better, eating their dinners with their caps/hats still on their heads. Even my wife and a good female friend of ours have argued with me as we were being seated at a restaurant that I didn't need to remove my hat because no one but me cared. Mind you, I remove my hat when I'm eating because it's more comfortable for me to do so, not because I care about the opinion of the slob three tables down eating his peas with a butter knife.

I agree that most of the time what’s actually important is the function: if wearing a hat blocks someone’s view then take it off. If taking your hat off risks damaging it or having it stolen then keep it on. If it’s December but it’s warm then wear a straw hat. The reverence shown to old rules just because they are old makes little sense to me. I’d never say to throw out the old just because it’s old, but equally I don’t see keeping the old just because it’s old. We’ve discarded the etiquette of the 1500s and revolutionary America would not recognize much of the etiquette of the 1930s, so we see that the old is always being incrementally supplanted by the new unless the function it serves is still of value.

A couple years ago I was having a working lunch in a local steakhouse in a small ranching town in the Sierra foothills. I did not doff my western hat when I entered. There were no accommodations for my hat so I ate with it on my head. A colleague chided me with a comment similar to “a real cowboy would have known to take his hat off we he came indoors.” I looked around and half the men in the restaurant were wearing hats and there wasn’t a hat to been seen that wasn’t on someone’s head. I suggested to my colleague that he stand up and inform the other patrons that they weren’t real cowboys.

I think a lot of what people miss is a sense of more order and discipline in society. They miss uniformity and they romanticize earlier times that they think were more ideal. They want the vernier of past times. I too see the attraction, but I’m less interested in the artificial and contrived rules of etiquette and more interested in actual respect for others, kindness, and genuine morality. The vernier is much easier to achieve.

Samson25

Familiar Face
A fourtop, yes, a must. If for nothing more than a place close by for my hat
Until you run into "my house, my rules," that is.

A fourtop, yes, a must. If for nothing less than a place close by for my hat
I think most of us take a practical approach these days, given the lack of accomodation for hats, etc. in restaurants. I only know of a few here in town with a proper coat check. My wife and I are often seated at four-tops, so it's easy to just toss it on an extra chair. Sometimes there is a nearby shelf or something close by to hang it on. I'm kind of uncomfortable sitting at a table eating with my hat on, unless outside.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Respect, decency, lost on whats out there today. I now consider myself fortunate in having had an upbringing which included those values.
Maybe this is just a consequence of maturity and age.
I am very much gratefull for having (maybe) 4/5 of my life behind Me, knowing that
the Kids of today will never have the quality of life that I have been blessed with having had.
I agree that most of the time what’s actually important is the function: if wearing a hat blocks someone’s view then take it off. If taking your hat off risks damaging it or having it stolen then keep it on. If it’s December but it’s warm then wear a straw hat. The reverence shown to old rules just because they are old makes little sense to me. I’d never say to throw out the old just because it’s old, but equally I don’t see keeping the old just because it’s old. We’ve discarded the etiquette of the 1500s and revolutionary America would not recognize much of the etiquette of the 1930s, so we see that the old is always being incrementally supplanted by the new unless the function it serves is still of value.

A couple years ago I was having a working lunch in a local steakhouse in a small ranching town in the Sierra foothills. I did not doff my western hat when I entered. There were no accommodations for my hat so I ate with it on my head. A colleague chided me with a comment similar to “a real cowboy would have known to take his hat off we he came indoors.” I looked around and half the men in the restaurant were wearing hats and there wasn’t a hat to been seen that wasn’t on someone’s head. I suggested to my colleague that he stand up and inform the other patrons that they weren’t real cowboys.

I think a lot of what people miss is a sense of more order and discipline in society. They miss uniformity and they romanticize earlier times that they think were more ideal. They want the vernier of past times. I too see the attraction, but I’m less interested in the artificial and contrived rules of etiquette and more interested in actual respect for others, kindness, and genuine morality. The vernier is much easier to achieve.

Last edited:
Respect, decency, lost on whats out there today. I now find myself fortunate in having had an upbringing which included those values.
Maybe this comes with maturity and age.
I am very much gratefull for having (maybe) 4/5 of my life behind Me, knowing that
the Kids of today will never have the quality of life that I have been blessed with having had.

In many ways the world is better today. We’re not perfect, but in the last few decades we’ve made great strides in racial equality and in caring about environment. I don’t like everything that has changed, but I also see so much that is good too. It’s impossible to see our own time in its true historical perspective.

I think that the world is becoming more polarized with the good getting better and evil finding new depths of depravity. I don’t see the decline in hat etiquette falling into either group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk