Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyle's War UK WW II period police drama

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just my two cents (which is worth .5 cents now):

I tried watching the Foyles since I LOVE the Poirots. Unfortunately, it did not hold my attention. I thought they were a bit dry though, of course, I did enjoy the costumes and Kitchen's performance. He is just an intellectual actor in the role but in a 2 hour setting, the shows did not keep my interest. Sorry. Please don't hate me. :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I found Honeysuckle Weeks' character very irritating- Oh Ra-ther!-
I guess she was supposed to be. Jolly good show, what, eh!?

Her teeth..? well, she's English, what were you expecting..?
The English tend to have their own teeth.

I liked watching it but I would always fall asleep, sometimes only a few minutes before it ended. I think the show is just as it was intended but this intention was not so well judged. Kitchen's character is an underplayed one but quite boring too.

I can see how some audiences prefer a faster pace and more action, I prefer something a little more intelligent- the show is nothing special, unfortunately.

Now I just need to see the last few minutes of each episode.

B
T

LordBest

Practically Family
I wonder if this is a sign that the Cold War Foyle series there were rumours about will come to pass, or if they are just squeezing in another WWII series in before the war winds up completely.

KatieD

New in Town
Foyles War

They're currently filming a new series of Foyles War.

I was talking to the company that supply the stockings. I mentioned that Honeysuckle Weeks caused a bit of dismay amongst stocking fans by saying that she wore seamed tights in the series and the stocking supplier told me that they had just ordered a load more and were filming again.

Katie

kyda

One of the Regulars
I love the Foyel's war series, for those that live in Australia you can get all of them at Dymocks. :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: They need to bring back 1940's house and the Sullivans.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I am so glad they're filming more Foyle's War! I haven't yet watched all of them, but this just means there will be even more to enjoy. :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
leaette said:
i just don't see the attraction to honeysuckle weeks. i just said the other day to my husband "she looks homely".

I think that's the way she's meant to be - the daughter of a country vicar. Not glamorous but smart given the chance.

A few years ago I was always getting people saying "Honeysuckle Weeks!" or "Sam!" at me. Personally, I can't understand it. I don't have red hair, I'm not English and I pray I don't have horsey teeth like her! If it was just because I was wearing a similar uniform, I guess I might be able to see it, but usually I would be wearing civvies. [huh] It was quite maddening. I used to joke I'd have to come along as her evil cousin or something. lol

Although not the most absorbing of dramas, I've always found something to enjoy out of them. Easy Sunday evening watching.

A friend mentioned they were bringing this back. Possibly we may be asked to do some extra work on it but not sure yet. Be interesting.

LouieGee

New in Town
I absolutely love Foyle's War! It's so well written and acted, and doesn't rely on the usual cliches of lots of gunfights and car chases to move the story along. And it's so refreshing to have something intelligent to watch for a change! :)

I'm so happy they decided to make more of them - I was gutted when they announced it was coming to an end.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Foyle's Hat

I'm no help, but I'm working on it. I have a Borsalino with a nearly flat 2-1/4" inch brim. I'm getting there on the bash but the brim is just not flat enough yet. Still, I'm working on it.

lar2009 said:
Does anyone know a link where a hat like Foyle is wearing can be purchased?

Thank you, Larry

Boodles

A-List Customer
Honeysuckle and Seamed Stockings

Girls, I wish I knew what to say to you about the whole issue of why some men are attracted to some women more than others but I'm out. In the case of Honeysuckle Weeks it's even more difficut to understand given that there has been no attempt at all to dress her character to catch the eye of a man. Simply put, it's a bit like the plate of asparagus on the side board. My wife dives for it and I pass it by. Or, perhaps it's like electricity. You know it's there even though you can't describe it or even see it, it's there all the same.

KatieD, did you say something about seamed tights (stockings)...

leaette said:
i just don't see the attraction to honeysuckle weeks. i just said the other day to my husband "she looks homely". he didn't resond too much to that so i guess he didn't want to say anything. i guess he feels like you guys do. hahah.

i like her hair though. i'm jealous of that.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
lar2009 said:
Does anyone know a link where a hat like Foyle is wearing can be purchased?

Thank you, Larry

The series is being repeated on the ABC Down Under.

I was looking at his hat last night again and his mate is the same. It seems that the felt is very thin yet remains stiff and staightish. I do not find it a particularly attractive bash but what are other's thoughts?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner