Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

question:

how is it possible that a western themed major motion picture or network television program can get to the final stage for viewing with one of the actors wearing his hat backwards in at least one scene. Are actors that dumb? thank you over and out

Jhoff_1979 likes this.
  2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

The crease was backwards or the ribbon was on the 'wrong' side?

If the former, I've got nothing. But the latter commonly occurs in editing when the film (or video as it were) is flipped to change directions.

3. J Williams

J Williams Practically Family

Wondering if anyone has come across information on ‘The Helbing Hat Co’ from San Francisco. Most of the information I found led to the owner, but it seemed it was more of a dry goods store than a hat maker. Trying to decide if I should acquire this seemingly early 1900’s western.

IMG_1684.jpg IMG_1686.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I don’t know a thing about the brand, but that’s a very cool hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. I would love to have a hat like that!

This is a start. I see stuff back to 1901 so far.

1903:
    upload_2019-11-24_17-15-43.png

1904:
    upload_2019-11-24_17-29-14.png

1905: 3 Battery St.
    upload_2019-11-24_17-26-5.png

1907:
    upload_2019-11-24_18-55-46.png

1908:
    upload_2019-11-24_17-13-44.png

1914:
    upload_2019-11-24_17-37-0.png
    upload_2019-11-24_17-37-33.png

1916:
    upload_2019-11-24_18-35-20.png

1922:
    upload_2019-11-24_19-4-12.png

Battery & Pine: Across from the old Levi Strauss headquarters.
    upload_2019-11-24_19-26-30.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  6. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

11/16” for my black 40’s NO.1 Bob.
    B

BobHufford likes this.
  7. J Williams

Thanks for the work Bob, much appreciated. From what I found all the info ends around the 1922 date. I suppose it could have been a dry goods store with an in-house hat maker, neat stuff. I will find out tomorrow if my offer was accepted.

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  8. J Williams

I know right? If it was a size bigger I would most likely be posting once it arrived. Just trying to decide if it’s worth the ask for a hat I may not be able to wear.

M Hatman and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. From what I understand they were a importer and mail-order seller of hats and caps. The 1922 listings I find list them as a manufacturer of caps. I didn't see any reference to other dry goods.

1906:
    upload_2019-11-25_7-37-40.png

1922 (Directories of Manufacturers):
    upload_2019-11-25_7-42-9.png

10. Hagwood

Hagwood One Too Many

Very cool hat. The crown looks a lot like John Wayne’s in ‘The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance’. Just watched it the other night so it looked familiar. Couldn’t find a side view where the similarities are more obvious .

1DF76C0E-3E5D-4A57-93BC-5FC289304779.jpeg

11. MajorMason

MajorMason New in Town

Can anyone help with dating the hat below? It’s a Frank H Lee, purchased in LaCrosse Wi by my grandfather. The lived in the Lacrosse area in the 20’s and 30’s. No idea if he bought it then.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MajorMason

MajorMason New in Town

13. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

The proportions scream 30’s, but that can be deceiving.

14. hbenthow

hbenthow Familiar Face

I have a Borsalino that I bought at a local flea market. The lining on the inside has black mold/mildew in it. What's the best way to get it out?

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

Jhoff_1979, M Hatman and Bill Hughes like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Very gently look behind the leather sweat to see if the liner is sewn or glued in. If glued in then very gently remove it and wash the liner in a gentle soap. I use my wife's lingerie soap. This is a tough stain to remove so it may not remove the staining but at least you will have the peace of mind that it is clean. The caution in regard to the leather sweat is that if it is very old the thread can be rotted and any movement can cause the stitching to pop loose. Don't ask me how I know this!!!!
    If the liner is sewn in then removal requires you cut the thread and replacing is harder. Any liner can be put back in place with double sided tape but if you do that with a formerly sewn in liner it does devalue the hat.

16. MajorMason

MajorMason New in Town

I also have 2 Portis hats and one that I can’t quite read. Need to do some cleaning on it to read the liner.

[​IMG]

17. hbenthow

hbenthow Familiar Face

I don't have any fabric-specific soaps other than laundry detergent. Would hand soap (such as Dial or Irish Spring) work?

Should the entire liner be submerged in water?

And would rubbing diluted vinegar on the spots with a cotton ball be a bad idea?

18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The risk of using too harsh a detergent is that you may lose some sharpness in the logo. It may fade. A pure soap like an Ivory or a Dr Bronners would be likely okay. You could try some vinegar one the stains but they are so pervasive that it would require a lot of work and you risk getting the vinegar into the felt. Every time you wore the hat the smell would make you hungry thinking of French fries!!
    I have not had great success in getting stains like that removed from a liner. They can be lessened but it is hard to eliminate them. If you can't just accept it as part of the allure and patina of an old hat.

hbenthow likes this.
  19. hbenthow

hbenthow Familiar Face

What is the best way to go about washing the liner? Would washing it under running water be the correct method?