Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Look for hat shops that specialize in western or cowboy hats rather than only those who work with fedora's or fashion hats (and don't use the chain franchise western stores). They do that sort of thing a lot. Sometimes a leather shop or a saddle shop will do some of that as well.

Looking for a reliable hat shop to cut down the brim on a western hat, maybe replace a sweatband on another hat. Simple stuff some of you do yourself. Be good to have a go to place. We have a very old hat shop here in St Louie but they no longer do any work and don't know of anyone that does in the area. Thanks in advance.

TheBeardedLady

New in Town
Hello! I am trying to get into making more cowboy hats, I am having a hard time finding hat bodies for this. I have tried Winchester and was told they aren't taking new customers at this time. Does anyone know where I could buy 50/50 beaver/rabbit or 100% beaver hat bodies, since they are for cowboy hats I need to be able to have a 4 to 4 1/2" Brim.
Thanks!!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I'll go a step further and say it's hard to get a real, true idea of how a hat is really going to look before the felt has been pounced. The color changes, IMO, as you work the felt.

But you can get an idea... even with the swatches. I'm sure you could call up Mike at NW (Eugene, OR), Art at VS (Central Point, OR), Michael Gannon (Portland ,OR), or John Penman (Hillsboro, OR), and they'd be glad to show you actual felts right there in their shop. All of these are within driving distance, although Art is several hours south of Portland. I've been to see all of these fine gents except Michael Gannon as he doesn't have a showroom type shop and we couldn't get our schedules figured out.
Why does Oregon have so many master hat makers? Do they get tax breaks there? Aren't hat-making cartels illegal? Doesn't Oregon follow federal antitrust legislation?
[emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

tsores

Familiar Face
Looking for a reliable hat shop to cut down the brim on a western hat, maybe replace a sweatband on another hat. Simple stuff some of you do yourself. Be good to have a go to place. We have a very old hat shop here in St Louie but they no longer do any work and don't know of anyone that does in the area. Thanks in advance.
How about Chuck's Boots Superstore?

glider

A-List Customer
When I find someone I'll post it. I think Scott may be what I need but I haven't contacted him yet.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Hello! I am trying to get into making more cowboy hats, I am having a hard time finding hat bodies for this. I have tried Winchester and was told they aren't taking new customers at this time. Does anyone know where I could buy 50/50 beaver/rabbit or 100% beaver hat bodies, since they are for cowboy hats I need to be able to have a 4 to 4 1/2" Brim.
Thanks!!

My daughter started making hats at the start of 2018 and she experienced the same thing. She checked back periodically and she now has her own account. I may have mentioned previously that Winchester can only produce a finite number and has to be able to respond to their lager customers. Just recently, I had ordered a few hat bodies and had to wait as they were filling orders for larger, more established customers. Give it some time and I'm sure it will happen. :)

EstherWeis

Vendor
Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. Any recommendatios for a make/model straw or hemp hat that can be purchased open crown so I can crease it myself? I've looked at a few from American Hat Co and they seem very stiff. I was hoping to find something a bit softer. (I'm thinking here more of a westwern weight rather than panama.)

Straw is hard to hand crease I have found over the years. You definitely can, but as stated before it always looks a little rough around the edges. If you want a clean look you probably have to go another route.

There is a technical explanation for this, but I won’t bother you with that. You just can’t compare straw to felt in the way it blocks/handles.

From my experience stray away from the thick heavy straws. They are hot to wear and heavy. If you want something light and airy there are softer options available.

pairrothead01

Familiar Face
Chasing a hat that I couldn't place......It was a gambler style that did not have the leather or beaded hat bands. Was going to just custom order one close to what I thought I was looking for.
Well I am home sick today, watching an old Clint Speghetti western.....boom there is was, the Hat I was looking for, the light colored hat, what I am calling gambler style.
Question, can anyone tell me and/or direct me to some threads that will help me identify the cover worn by C.E. in the movie "Hang-em High".
Telescope crown, raw edge, 1/2" non contrast ribbon.

With all the knowledge here, this must have been discussed at some point......asistance appreciated.

Question # 2: I reside in the PNW, if this hat doesn't belong to a specific hat maker, recommendations on custom makers that would be a good choice to commission a hat of this style. Will most likely stay with a rabbit blend felt......not ready to pull the trigger on a beaver felt hat at this time.

Sent from my nami using Tapatalk

pairrothead01

Familiar Face
photo
1f32035186d721e99ab183e28ef11fcf.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Chasing a hat that I couldn't place......It was a gambler style that did not have the leather or beaded hat bands. Was going to just custom order one close to what I thought I was looking for.
Well I am home sick today, watching an old Clint Speghetti western.....boom there is was, the Hat I was looking for, the light colored hat, what I am calling gambler style.
Question, can anyone tell me and/or direct me to some threads that will help me identify the cover worn by C.E. in the movie "Hang-em High".

With all the knowledge here, this must have been discussed at some point......asistance appreciated.

Question # 2: I reside in the PNW, if this hat doesn't belong to a specific hat maker, recommendations on custom makers that would be a good choice to commission a hat of this style. Will most likely stay with a rabbit blend felt......not ready to pull the trigger on a beaver felt hat at this time.

https://www.knudsenhats.com/hang--em-high.html

Anybody that makes custom westerns should be able to do this style.

I have 7 or 8 custom hats from Mike @ NorthWest Hats in Eugene. Most of them were made by him from a photo I provided and he has always done a magnificent job of replicating the picture. I think he is sitting with a 3 month wait list right now. I have a western weight in his queue right now. Bob at BlackSheep is in the PNW and is also incredible with his creations but he is one year+ on his wait list.

pairrothead01

Familiar Face
I have 7 or 8 custom hats from Mike @ NorthWest Hats in Eugene. Most of them were made by him from a photo I provided and he has always done a magnificent job of replicating the picture. I think he is sitting with a 3 month wait list right now. I have a western weight in his queue right now. Bob at BlackSheep is in the PNW and is also incredible with his creations but he is one year+ on his wait list.
Is that the norm? Sound though, if you want something that drives you to custom order.....waiting is just part of the event. I haven't yet had that experience.....hope it feels it was all worth it once the hat is in hand.

Thanks......

I will also look for that Stetson....

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Is that the norm? Sound though, if you want something that drives you to custom order.....waiting is just part of the event. I haven't yet had that experience.....hope it feels it was all worth it once the hat is in hand.

Thanks......

I will also look for that Stetson....

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
I gave up on the chase/hunt in the vintage market and put my focus on custom made. The wait times vary hatter to hatter so it is best to check in with the various hatters when you are ready to order. My longest wait has been a year, my shortest was a month but that was with hatters that were just starting out and had not built a book yet. I have hats from 8 different custom hatters and I have never been disappointed with any of the finished products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk