Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Elgin1924 said:
I'm from New Zealand. There is an amazing lack of (affordable) vintage clothing/accessories here, but auctions with decent cufflinks, pocket watches etc... are easy enough to come by.

I agree. I don't know what I'd do if I still lived in NZ for my vintage clothes 'fix'.
However, I live in the UK so shopping in real shops and also on-line is easier. Phew!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Its a shame that Gail Pether could not keep her shop "Memory Lane" in Bon Marche Arcade, I remember her first Shop on the first floor of a building near the corner of Hay & Pier it was called "Gailey Trip Inne" and had three rooms choc a block with wonderful items, Mens suits, racks of beaded Crepe de Chine frocks,my sister worked there, whilst Gail had her first baby ( we are talking 1974) and was rewarded with a 3/4 length Swing Coat in fake Leopard"

http://www.memorylaneclothing.com/

3914102748_939297a742_s.jpg

http://register.heritage.wa.gov.au/PDF_Files/B - A-D/Bon Marche (P-AD).PDF

The Arcade is undergoing a revival, quirky little shops blooming such as "Pigeon Hole"

http://www.pigeonhole.com.au/
BM-front.jpg

tuppence

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
"Its a shame that Gail Pether could not keep her shop "Memory Lane" in Bon Marche Arcade, I remember her first Shop on the first floor of a building near the corner of Hay & Pier it was called "Gailey Trip Inne" and had three rooms choc a block with wonderful items, Mens suits, racks of beaded Crepe de Chine frocks,my sister worked there, whilst Gail had her first baby ( we are talking 1974) and was rewarded with a 3/4 length Swing Coat in fake Leopard"

http://www.memorylaneclothing.com/

3914102748_939297a742_s.jpg

http://register.heritage.wa.gov.au/PDF_Files/B - A-D/Bon Marche (P-AD).PDF

The Arcade is undergoing a revival, quirky little shops blooming such as "Pigeon Hole"

http://www.pigeonhole.com.au/
BM-front.jpg

Ohhh Binkie! I can remember when you couldn't give away vintage bicycles on ebay.Now unaffordable.
I remember my Dad throwing out my mums 1940s bike....the regrets:(

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Elgin1924 said:
I'm from New Zealand. There is an amazing lack of (affordable) vintage clothing/accessories here, but auctions with decent cufflinks, pocket watches etc... are easy enough to come by.

Hi Elgin, I'm a Kiwi but now live over the ditch in Melbourne.

If you are in and around Auckland, there used to be a few places on Dominion Road where you could get vintage clothing. And on Onehunga Mall there was a couple of places.

I haven't lived in NZ for about 3 or 4 years now so I might be out of date, but those places could be a start.

swinggal

One Too Many
I loved Memory Lane when it was in Bon Marche. It was amazing but I was a student then and never had any money to buy all the 30s dresses and shoes I saw there back then :( There used to be a good shop in Wesley Arcade called 'Divine'. Got a few things there but 'Mums' in Inglewood, man, I bought sooooo much 40s gear there so cheaply 10 years ago. Shoes, dresses, stockings, bags...everything. I found pristine 1930s 3 piece suits there for my male dancing friends for about $50. That store is gone too but she was there for a long time and did well because she sold things at good prices and stocked many eras.

Even Matlida's Antiques in Freo used to have a great clothing section down the back and that was pretty cheap too. There was also a guy who had a shop in North Perth for a year in 2002 that was jam packed full of stuff from the 20s to the 60s. He brought all the stuff out from Europe with him to sell, then was gone.

swinggal

One Too Many
Smithy said:

If you are in and around Auckland, there used to be a few places on Dominion Road where you could get vintage clothing. And on Onehunga Mall there was a couple of places.

I haven't lived in NZ for about 3 or 4 years now so I might be out of date, but those places could be a start.

That's probably where I got my stuff from. That particular shop is gone now :(

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Miss Sis said:
Ah, Smithy, when I read 'Dominion Road' I got a real flashback to the song by the Muttonbirds. Might be time for another raid of Kiwi music on YouTube!

Gosh, I hadn't thought of let alone heard that song in yonks either until I did the post above.

Great minds Miss Sis :)

swinggal

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"That Vintage clothing store in the E Shed Markets. on the Docks at Olde Fremantle has a lot of Lovely things, not much for the Chaps, but Lots of frocks, and fur coats"

Hmmm, will have to check it out. I don't wear fur but maybe they have some nice accessories. I might go on Sunday. I rarely find any 30s garments in Perth so I make them from old patterns or get them online. I'm going to go to Antique and Collectables fair in August. That used to be so huuuuuge when it was at the Freo Passenger terminal. And they had clothes!!

swinggal

One Too Many
August, 2010 | Australia | 'Way We Wore' Vintage Fairs | Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra

Dates for the biggest and best clothing fairs run by "The Way we Wore' around Australia for August, 2010. I will post oter dates when the time draws closer.
http://vintageclothing.about.com/gi/...r/Welcome.html

I am going to try and work with the owners to get a Perth leg happening. A HUGE undertaking, but events and organisation is what I am good at

Adelaide: Burnside Ballroom
August: Friday 27th August 6pm - 9pm
Saturday 28th August 10am - 5pm
Sunday 29th Augusdt 10am - 4pm

Brisbane: Mt Gravatt Showgrounds
August: Friday 30th July 6pm - 9pm
Saturday 31st July 10am - 4pm
Sunday 1st Agusut 10am - 3pm

Canberra: Albert Hall
August: Friday 20 August 6pm - 9pm
Saturday 21 August 10am - 5pm
Sunday 22 August 10am - 4pm

Elgin1924

New in Town
Smithy said:

Sadly I'm down in the South Island, but if I ever do wander up Auckoland way I'll make certain to check that area out.

Thanks Smithy, swinggal and Miss Siss!

Tommy

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
Surely there would be a vintage clothing fair as part of the napier Art Deco weekend in NZ?

There probably is swinggal but they probably bump the prices up 300% over the weekend ;)

Elgin, are you in Christchurch? When I was there about 3 weeks ago I think we drove past what looked like a vintage clothing store near the convention centre. Sorry can't remember the name of the street. Don't quote me as I didn't get out but it certainly looked to be.

lareine

A-List Customer
I'm not Elgin, but I am in Christchurch. I've seen vintage clothing in quite a few places, more than I can recall now.
  • Shands Emporium (on Hereford St) which has all sorts of vintage and antique stuff on the ground floor, and clothes/accessories upstairs
  • a small shop whose name I can't remember near the junction of Lichfield and Manchester, junk and some clothes and lots of furs
  • an antique store in Woolston (I think it's the Ferry Antique Centre) with a retro/vintage clothing section at the back
  • a little junk shop near the antique store in Woolston which has a random selection of amazing things. Last time I was there there was a fully working gramophone, a big basket of long and short gloves, and a book from the 1940s about styling your own hair.

No doubt there are plenty more shops like this around Chch too. Those are just the ones that I frequent because I know where to find them!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lareine said:
I'm not Elgin, but I am in Christchurch. I've seen vintage clothing in quite a few places, more than I can recall now.
  • Shands Emporium (on Hereford St) which has all sorts of vintage and antique stuff on the ground floor, and clothes/accessories upstairs
  • a small shop whose name I can't remember near the junction of Lichfield and Manchester, junk and some clothes and lots of furs
  • an antique store in Woolston (I think it's the Ferry Antique Centre) with a retro/vintage clothing section at the back
  • a little junk shop near the antique store in Woolston which has a random selection of amazing things. Last time I was there there was a fully working gramophone, a big basket of long and short gloves, and a book from the 1940s about styling your own hair.

No doubt there are plenty more shops like this around Chch too. Those are just the ones that I frequent because I know where to find them!

Good job Lareine, that sort of info will be invaluable to any Christchurch Loungers here.

Although I'm not originally for Chch, all my remaining immediate family live down there now. Wonderful city and always enjoy my times when I visit.

As I mentioned earlier, I was just there 3 weeks ago, absolutely beautiful waking up to those huge frosts and then spectacular clear, sunny winter days.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
swinggal said:
Surely there would be a vintage clothing fair as part of the napier Art Deco weekend in NZ?

Yes, there is a Fair but it's not specifically just for clothes, it's a mix of everything! Not a huge amount there clothing wise but next to nothing for chaps, I'm afraid. (Usual story) Also, you will have stiff competition for any ladies items. There are lots of ladies round Napier or who go every year that are looking for things too.

Best thing to do is look out constantly wherever you are. Get to know what you're looking for and you might just pick up a bargain. It's the only way.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
287526919.jpg

DOUGLAS DC-6B TOUR UPDATE

Hi ladies and gents,

Apologies on such a long period between drinks – time flies when you’re having fun! Or, organising a classic airliner to travel halfway around the world...!

We can certainly assure you that the tour is still going ahead, despite the recent lack of updates (apologies again!) – for those of you who are familiar with some of the intricacies of operating a big old aeroplane, and with the regulatory requirements that we have you meet, you understand the magnitude of what is needing to be done. It’s just a matter of timing and making sure that everything is lined up properly so we can enjoy a hassle free tour and make sure you get no interruptions when you come to meet the DC-6B. Believe us, the minute that we get the approval certificate through, as many people as we can let know about it we will! J

For those of you who follow aviation events, we are pleased to let you know that the DC-6B will be at the Wings Over Illawarra event at Albion Park in February (www.woi.org.au) , and at the Avalon International Airshow in March (www.airshow.net.au) . Unfortunately, with the cancellation of the Red Bull Air Race for 2011 worldwide, there is no event there for the DC-6B to participate in, however we are working on a different kind of event for Perth, and will let you know as soon as we sort the logistics!

We still need your help with spreading the word about the DC-6B tour. We were really pleased to see that we’re getting expressions of interest from word of mouth, and thankyou to those people. If you know of anyone who might be interested in the old girl and coming for a fly – please let them know. There are only so many people with access or interest in the various websites and magazines that have carried stories about the tour, and we would love it if you could help us diversify the information.

For those of you who have just joined the mailing list or have expressed interest in a flight – we’d love to hear your ideas! We want to share this tour with as many people as we can – how can we do it? Many heads are better than just a few! Is there anything you’d like to see or experience as part of your flight on the aircraft? Anything that might make the experience even better? Any thoughts on what info you might like to know when you come flying? Or when you see her at an airshow or an open day? Any and all ideas are very welcome – we can’t promise that we’ll implement all of them, but we’ll certainly look forward to hearing them and seeing how much we can do!

Charter the DC-6B! A lot of people assume that chartering the DC-6B will be completely out of their budget – but you will be surprised at how cost effective chartering is.
You may own, manage or run a company – have you considered putting it out to your staff as a social occasion possibility? Or taking that idea to your boss, or social club committee? Perhaps you have a group of clients, who you would like to thank for their loyalty? Or you are a club, of any description – imagine how long you’ll be talking about a social outing like this? An opportunity like this may never come again – take advantage of it!

We have packages we can create for you – from private scenic flights or meals on board (champagne breakfast as the sun comes up?), we can even organise daytrip itineraries to destinations an hour or two out of each city the DC-6B is visiting.
Even if it’s just to see what ideas we can come up with for you, get in touch. Email info@yesteryearaviation.com.au with what your group is and what you might like to do, and we’ll come up with a plan – obligation free, we promise!

We should be in touch again very soon with some good news but in the meantime, as always – if you have any queries or would like any other information, please get in contact, either via our website, or by contacting us at info@yesteryearaviation.com.au.

Cheers,
The Yesteryear Team

Operating the DC-6B Tour of Australia, 2011

www.yesteryearaviation.com.au

info@yesteryearaviation.com.au

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany