Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'll be heading off to the Avalon show so will see the old girl there.

Thanks Binks for posting that.

Talbot

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"Is it just me, or has Julia toned down her accent in the past few days, she sounds less "Ocker", such an improvement!!"

Have you been watching 'The Gruen Nation'?

I'm enjoying the palm gestures also.

LordBest

Practically Family
The best thing Chaser has done since APEC, though his accent needs some work:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zkZ6Fo95c[/YOUTUBE]

swinggal

One Too Many
swinggal said:
Dates for the biggest and best clothing fairs run by "The Way we Wore' around Australia for August, 2010. I will post oter dates when the time draws closer.
http://vintageclothing.about.com/gi/...r/Welcome.html

I am going to try and work with the owners to get a Perth leg happening. A HUGE undertaking, but events and organisation is what I am good at

Adelaide: Burnside Ballroom
August:
Friday 27th August 6pm - 9pm
Saturday 28th August 10am - 5pm
Sunday 29th Augusdt 10am - 4pm

Canberra: Albert Hall
August:
Friday 20 August 6pm - 9pm
Saturday 21 August 10am - 5pm
Sunday 22 August 10am - 4pm

Don't forget Aussies, these are coming up for this weekend and next.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Talbot said:
Looks like a great way to avoid the 'Budgie Boy and Fanta Pants' show.

Don't you just hate elections and election time. I've had the dubious pleasure of witnessing these fiascoes in 4 different countries. The spoken language might be different but the shit talk is the same.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Don't you just hate elections and election time. I've had the dubious pleasure of witnessing these fiascoes in 4 different countries. The spoken language might be different but the shit talk is the same.

I used to quite enjoy the lead up to the elections, but this time I'm in North America & have avoided the whole thing. I'm still going to vote (I'm going to the Australian Consulate tomorrow), but I must say, it is lovely to not see anyone wearing speedos, kissing babies or making non core promises.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
I used to quite enjoy the lead up to the elections, but this time I'm in North America & have avoided the whole thing. I'm still going to vote (I'm going to the Australian Consulate tomorrow), but I must say, it is lovely to not see anyone wearing speedos, kissing babies or making non core promises.

The thing which annoys me is how the emphasis is on slagging the other side off more than saying what you'll do. The condescending concern for everybody and all demographics prior to election pees me off too, and then as soon as they get elected, they suddenly don't give a stuff about more than half of those they ran around fawning over during the campaign.

Sorry to sound cynical but I suppose I am a bit now. As I said having seen the same nonsense in several countries jades you a little. I'm still a believer in the democratic process, I just can't stand the way pollies lick backsides and talk a load of patronising claptrap to get themselves into parliament.

Talbot

One Too Many
Smithy said:
The thing which annoys me is how the emphasis is on slagging the other side off more than saying what you'll do. The condescending concern for everybody and all demographics prior to election pees me off too, and then as soon as they get elected, they suddenly don't give a stuff about more than half of those they ran around fawning over during the campaign.

Sorry to sound cynical but I suppose I am a bit now. As I said having seen the same nonsense in several countries jades you a little. I'm still a believer in the democratic process, I just can't stand the way pollies lick backsides and talk a load of patronising claptrap to get themselves into parliament.

The infuriating part is we know it, they know it, we all know it...

...and it still happens like clockwork. The party machine I guess.

I just can't remember it this ordinary before, sigh.

LordBest

Practically Family
I take the rather unpopular view that the fault is ours, not that of the system or the politicians (not entirely). The populace expects politicians to promise them the world, and then gets jaded when they don't deliver. We also sit back and watching constant mass media coverage analysing every word and gesture and then wonder why politicians stop talking to us.
Not that the politicians are blameless, pandering to the populations selfish desires to gain power. I'm just grateful we have a system where politicians are not all powerful.
I think the last decent government was Curtin, since then its either been complacency during good times or incompetence in bad times.

Smithy said:

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"John Curtin At Home"

"I Actually Live in the electorate of Curtin, and John Curtin's house in the beachside suburb of Cottesloe, has been purchased and restored by the National Trust"

http://john.curtin.edu.au/curtinhouse/index.html

houseplan.gif

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
HUGE EARTHQUAKE HITS CHRISTCHURCH

A very large earthquake (over 7) hit Christchurch this morning and has done huge damage to the Garden City.

All my immediate family live in Christchurch and all are amazingly OK but very shaken. Kiwis are used to earthquakes as they are a fact off life but this was very big. My sister said that it lasted about 45 seconds and they thought the house was going to fall. Luckily they have no severe damage but no power. There have (and are continuing to be) big aftershocks as well.

I'd ask that all Kiwis and Aussies spare a thought for those in and around Christchurch who are affected.

And added to that there's been a plane crash on the Fox Glacier. The poor old South Island is really copping it today.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Well, changing topic... we had an election for Prime Minister several days ago here in Australia.... couple of weeks have passed...

We still don't have any idea who won.

Can you believe it? shakeshead

No idea whatsoever!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Smithy said:
All my immediate family live in Christchurch and all are amazingly OK but very shaken.

Good news about your family Smithy, it must be a terrifying thing to experience.

Hadley, I guess we are in for "interesting times". The last time Australia had a hung parliament (since the formation of the 2 major parties) was 1940 and the eventual result was that John Curtin became the PM and lets be truthful, Curtin was Australia's finest PM (Gough comes second IMO).

But do we have a current leader of either major political party of the calibre of Curtin? I don't think so. I reckon we'll all be back to the polls shortly to sort this mess out.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
lolly_loisides said:
Good news about your family Smithy, it must be a terrifying thing to experience.

Thanks for your kind thoughts Lolly.

Luckily it happened about 0435 so most were asleep. My family said it was very scary suddenly being woken and it lasted for about 45 seconds. It was shaking so much that water from the swimming pool was going up onto the roof of the house.

There has been so much damage that a state of emergency has been declared. To add to the misery a huge storm is forecast for tomorrow which is not good for so many houses and buildings which have had their roofs collapse.

It's very sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot